U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 06:10 AM

4,820 posts, read 2,477,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSongs View Post
When I mention this to people, both in Boston and California, they all think I'm nuts and question why anyone would want to leave. Personally, I could make a strong argument for both cities - they're just radically different. I love the community of Boston, the culture of New England, and the idea that driving 3 hours get's you through as many states ;-).
because youre trading the beaches for blizzards ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 02:27 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,200,307 times
I lived in Boston for 2 months, and many of the lifetime locals told me how much the city had changed (mostly for the better) over the past 30 odd years or so. That being said, I think it is plain to anyone who spends more than a week there that the city is in the middle of a slew of growing pains. If you're an empty-nester then I would take a close look at:
1. Your job - how rewarding/stressful will the position in Boston be? Is it something you want to do long term?
2. Your lifestyle - LA offers moderately fast access to the beach, the mountains, the valley, Vegas. Its both an economic engine and a tourist destination and is second only to NYC in terms of development. Boston is no slouch, but if you want say, find Korean Mexican fusion food or visit a buddhist temple or tour an observatory or visit a pier, then there are less options and amenities in a smaller city.
3. Your human connections. 30 years is a long time, BOS-LAX is not a short flight and there's a 3 hour time difference. You are going to lose touch with your social network unless you plan to drop $400/month on monthly flights back and forth. Just the time commitment to do so would be considerable. Yes, you'll make new friends eventually... but you're 50 and I'm sure you're well aware of the increased time and energy it takes to build friendships at that age.
From what little I gather, the west coast has a more active social scene. More than a few posts on this forum have been about people lamenting the difficulty of breaking in to cliques or building a social network in a comparatively unfriendly city.

I have no idea why you'd move from the west coast to the east coast (aka 'ice' coast) to start snowboarding. You're closer to better and more consistent snow out in CA.

30 years is a long time, but there is probably a lot to sample in CA that you haven't yet. Learn to ride a motorcycle and go ride Mullholland. Go learn to hang glide. Start working as an extra on movie sets for fun. Learn to surf, etc. Most people I know from CA flee the state for one reason or another (typically financial reasons). If you don't have to do that, then consider keeping your roots out there for the time being. If your kid ends up in the Northeast then that would be the only compelling reason I can think of to consider a move... but keep in mind that your kid is only going to be in college for 4-5 years and probably only coming home regularly for just over half of that time.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:50 AM

5,383 posts, read 5,453,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSongs View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this is part of what I'm thinking: a big change would not be a bad idea.

And am I correct that even if I was only grossing 125k or slightly less, a good QOL is still possible?
Yes, QOL will be fine. Not hustling for a gig I imagine would be nice for you too. And of course, the benefits that working at a University offers are usually good. I was commuted by bike for a few years a while ago. It was nice not having a hunk of steel to rely on. It does get cold in the winter but the cold was fine - the dangerous part was the ice and snow. You can get the right gear to manage the weather (cold, rain, etc.) and good lights for when it is dark, and a good understanding of how to ride in traffic - but when it is icy, I opted for public transport.

Other thing I imagine you would enjoy is the abundance of colleagues. There are so many Universities here, and education is a big deal for most. It is a well educated and motivated area (some towns at least: Brookline, Cambridge, Newton, some others).

You won't be wealthy but 125ish is plenty IMO. Take a look at the local rent/real estate prices, that'll be your biggest expense.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:36 PM

245 posts, read 281,685 times
In Boston, you probably won't be able to wear shorts outside on Christmas...

Old 10-16-2019, 05:47 AM

227 posts, read 107,993 times
You can always wear running tights, or whatever you call them underneath the shorts.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

198 posts, read 77,366 times
Its not December that sucks here, it’s March and April that crush your soul as you wait for the spring that never really comes.

Old Today, 02:26 PM

5,383 posts, read 5,453,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Its not December that sucks here, itís March and April that crush your soul as you wait for the spring that never really comes.
Truth!

And the worst storms are typically in March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or