Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 03:30 PM

11 posts, read 9,338 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been in LA for over 30 years, prior to which I lived in Boston for a few years. I've been back to visit friends as well as for work trips and have found it to be an almost completely different place than I left. There seems to be a great energy there and the city has really become so much nicer than I remember.

Granted, most of my trips there have been during beautiful summer weather so I haven't had to deal with deep New England winter. But I'm planning on a winter trip this year to get some of that as well.

My situation...

I really do love so much about SoCal and have a ton of great friends here. My entire professional career has been here and it's the longest I've lived anywhere, including the mid-west city I grew up in. However...

I'm in my mid 50's and will be an empty nester next year. I was divorced 3 years ago, so I am free to go or do pretty much anywhere/anything I want. I have a very likely job opportunity in Boston which would pay at least 100K and probably more like 125K. My gross income could be close to 150K with other sources added in.

I feel like I'm open to a change and the job in question is attractive. So I'm considering moving away from SoCal for this next chapter, and trying to decide whether I should.

My question...

For those that have made a similar move and are now in Boston; would you recommend moving there? Are you happy? Is that amount of salary enough to be comfortable in the city?

I have a few specific questions and concerns but would be grateful for your input on the above.

When I mention this to people, both in Boston and California, they all think I'm nuts and question why anyone would want to leave. Personally, I could make a strong argument for both cities - they're just radically different. I love the community of Boston, the culture of New England, and the idea that driving 3 hours get's you through as many states ;-).

Thanks in advance for your time and input. I will continue scouring the forum for other similar posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 04:26 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
I don't know, sounds like this is more of an introspective matter. "Are you happy?" is a pretty meta question and is not always related to where you live. You can be happy pretty much anywhere if you have friends, family, some type of useful employment, and ability to pursue recreational hobbies.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:29 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
What are you making now? Where exactly is the job? Would you be living alone?

Old 09-30-2019, 06:25 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,267 times
I made this move a few years ago. I am not close to your age range however I can list some pros / cons of moving here:

Pros: Less traffic overall although commuting with flow into the city can be just as bad as in LA (or worse! ).

One gets clear skies, less pollution and all seasons.

Easy access to NYC (for real big city life) and the rest of New England and all its splendor.

30 miles outside of Boston is more affordable and with better schools than a similar distance from LA (Westside business centers).

Cons: Winter. And the rainy, chilly spring which follows. If you are an athlete or a person who enjoys being outdoors, about half the year is off limits. Unless you are a skier.

The area overall is sizable yet still provincial and the suburbs do not feel metropolitan or cosmopolitan for the most part. Even 10 miles away from downtown is this way, which is disappointing to me.

The most fun here is had by college students.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:44 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
So OP, you are in your mid 50's = mature. I say you should strongly consider making the move. 30 yrs in one place is a long time. Make a change, do something different. Life goes fast, do something that is interesting and consuming. It's not all about money. 150k here is good, especially if you are not raising a family.

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:17 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,143,716 times
How important is weather to you? I personally don't think I could ever leave that California sunshine but some people don't seem to care about weather as much.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't know, sounds like this is more of an introspective matter. "Are you happy?" is a pretty meta question and is not always related to where you live. You can be happy pretty much anywhere if you have friends, family, some type of useful employment, and ability to pursue recreational hobbies.
You make excellent points. I was basically asking people's level of happiness - which is kind of a nebulous question, I admit. I hear people my age talking about leaving NYC, LA, London, etc and wondered.

Also - I am originally from CLE and my whole family is still there. That town sure has become a different place since I left. I really like going back.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
What are you making now? Where exactly is the job? Would you be living alone?
I make less than that but the difference is this would be a salaried position at a University. Right now my life is freelance and I constantly hustle for the next job.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:40 PM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
You should really look at places like Austin, Raleigh, etc or smaller cities in the sun belt, where weather, COL and QOL are going to be so so much better. Boston has been good to me, but it's a rat race, no different from any other major city. If you need the Old World feel.. move to Barcelona or something

Old 10-01-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I made this move a few years ago. I am not close to your age range however I can list some pros / cons of moving here:

Pros: Less traffic overall although commuting with flow into the city can be just as bad as in LA (or worse! ).

One gets clear skies, less pollution and all seasons.

Easy access to NYC (for real big city life) and the rest of New England and all its splendor.

30 miles outside of Boston is more affordable and with better schools than a similar distance from LA (Westside business centers).
Good points, thanks. Schools are no concern since my kid will be in college (likely in NE somewhere if not Boston). NE in the summer is pretty great IIRC.

Quote:
Cons: Winter. And the rainy, chilly spring which follows. If you are an athlete or a person who enjoys being outdoors, about half the year is off limits. Unless you are a skier.
This is probably my main concern. I am an outdoorsy guy and would look forward to bike commuting and enjoying NE in the summer. But I am fearful of the endless grey gloom and rainy season that might actually bring some seasonal blahs.

I would have to get my snowboarding skills back and hopefully enjoy some VT winter fun.

I would DEFINITELY need to find an indoor lap pool because that's my main form of exercise.

Quote:

The area overall is sizable yet still provincial and the suburbs do not feel metropolitan or cosmopolitan for the most part. Even 10 miles away from downtown is this way, which is disappointing to me.

The most fun here is had by college students.
Yes - college days were great there but I have to believe there is plenty of adult fun (outdoor activities, restaurants, wine bars, etc) to be had, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston