Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 1,664 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Hoping someone can help steer me in the right directions here...

We are going to be moving to the Boston area within the next few months from Brooklyn and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of the suburbs are best for dogs. We’re thinking of looking in Brookline, Cambridge, and Newton (or in those general areas). We currently live across the street from Prospect Park which is basically dog heaven and has off leash hours in the mornings and evenings and I’m hoping for something close to that (not expecting an exact match). What I’m NOT looking for is small fenced in dog runs or little parks with gravel but more like a green open park that dogs can be off leash in, even if only during certain hours. I’ve done a ton of internet research but it’s just so hard to tell from pictures. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 08:01 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,145 times
If you want to be close to Boston I think you have 3 great target towns.

Cambridge is great for dogs. Cambridge has the Fresh Pond Reservation with a 2.5 mile loop around the reservoir, swimming hole and open areas for dogs. Dogs with Cambridge licenses (have to reside in the city) are allowed to be off leash at any time. There is also the land surrounding the Charles River reservation, several parks with pilot off leash hours, and several other unofficial off leash areas that I'm not going to post here but would be happy to answer any specific questions if you would like to DM me.

Brookline has been trying to make the dog thing work though friends who live there have had issues with overzealous citizen canine complainers in their neighborhood park. With all the green space in Brookline and Newton I'm sure there are some great spots known to people who live in those towns. Other friends live on Crystal Lake in Newton and it is dog heaven for them.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:26 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefLindsay View Post
Hi there! Hoping someone can help steer me in the right directions here...

We are going to be moving to the Boston area within the next few months from Brooklyn and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of the suburbs are best for dogs. We’re thinking of looking in Brookline, Cambridge, and Newton (or in those general areas). We currently live across the street from Prospect Park which is basically dog heaven and has off leash hours in the mornings and evenings and I’m hoping for something close to that (not expecting an exact match). What I’m NOT looking for is small fenced in dog runs or little parks with gravel but more like a green open park that dogs can be off leash in, even if only during certain hours. I’ve done a ton of internet research but it’s just so hard to tell from pictures. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated!
I lived in Park Slope for years with dogs, and then in metro Boston.

There is nothing like Prospect Park for dogs anywhere in the Boston area.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:20 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I lived in Park Slope for years with dogs, and then in metro Boston.

There is nothing like Prospect Park for dogs anywhere in the Boston area.
Well, there's the Sheepfold in Middlesex Fells. It's a drive to the parking lot from somewhere rather than walking up the street but has a big doggie scene and, if you like rugged woodland trails and water views, the Fells is quite a step up from Prospect Park.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:25 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Well, there's the Sheepfold in Middlesex Fells. It's a drive to the parking lot from somewhere rather than walking up the street but has a big doggie scene and, if you like rugged woodland trails and water views, the Fells is quite a step up from Prospect Park.
I guess the point I was attempting to make was, if you want an urban, somewhat car free existence, and a huge legally off leash area walkable from your home, you’re not going to find it. Middlesex really isn’t a “walk your dog daily before working in Boston” option.

When I left Brooklyn for Boston, I ended up in the Boston burbs (and bought a new car) mainly to satisfy the exercise needs of my large dog. I won’t say where I ended up living and exercising the dog, because it wasn’t legal. I’ve lived in NYC, Boston and SF metros for the last 30 years with large dogs. Park Slope was far and away the best situation for my dogs.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:02 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I guess the point I was attempting to make was, if you want an urban, somewhat car free existence, and a huge legally off leash area walkable from your home, you’re not going to find it.
This is a bum steer IMO

Old 10-06-2019, 11:46 AM

579 posts, read 521,533 times
Of your choices Newton is your best bet. Newton Center has the fabulous Webster Woods and Hammond Pond Conversation area where I actually went horse back riding when I was a kid.

There's also the Newton Center Play Ground which has off leash area of good size. And then there's two small areas at Crystal Lake.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:38 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,121,751 times
It may be worth spending a weekend in Greater Boston and sampling the neighborhoods with your dog, and let him judge where you should move to.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:31 AM

3 posts, read 1,664 times
We actually have a long weekend planned in 2 weeks to do just that!

Old 10-07-2019, 07:53 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,121,751 times
Makes sense. Be sure your dog chooses a good hotel and paws you a biscuit when you do a good turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston