U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 10:13 AM

9,784 posts, read 9,885,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Never mind Cambridge or Brookline, I wonder if even Chelsea residents would go for that???
No not even Chelsea that was proposed in the 90s and they overwhelmingly wanted to remain their own town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 10:37 AM

3,121 posts, read 1,670,614 times
every town in Massachusetts is different in a variety of ways and they like it that way. I cant imagine any annexation in our lifetimes. Its not even economic, its cultural.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:06 AM

212 posts, read 82,154 times
Cambridge has a statistically good school system, they wouldn't want to give that up and be part of the cluster-F that is BPS. Cambridge by and large is a well run city.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:17 PM

1,875 posts, read 3,516,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
every town in Massachusetts is different in a variety of ways and they like it that way. I cant imagine any annexation in our lifetimes. Its not even economic, its cultural.
Hyde Park has the distinction of being the only Mass town to be annexed to Boston something like 30 years after the annexation movement sputtered out. I wonder why they joined up and how HP would have turned out had it remained its own place.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:57 PM

4,508 posts, read 2,528,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Hyde Park has the distinction of being the only Mass town to be annexed to Boston something like 30 years after the annexation movement sputtered out. I wonder why they joined up and how HP would have turned out had it remained its own place.
My understanding is that it came down to money. Hyde Park was losing it's identity as the street car could easily take people to Boston to work and shop, it's tax rate was much higher than Boston, and town workers earned much less compared to those in Boston.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:57 PM

709 posts, read 562,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
probably more like dedham than it already is. realistically it probably wouldn't be very different. non-lifers barely know that HP exists

Old 10-29-2019, 02:02 PM

1,924 posts, read 841,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
probably more like dedham than it already is. realistically it probably wouldn't be very different. non-lifers barely know that HP exists
It could only hope. Dedham has a pretty vibrant square that does not have wig shops and discount cell phone stores.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:18 PM

709 posts, read 562,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
It could only hope. Dedham has a pretty vibrant square that does not have wig shops and discount cell phone stores.
Cleary square has good italian, colombian, new american, haitian, dominican, brazillian, great pizza, ron's, decent seafood and the regular assortment of asian / american takeout spots and fast food. Yeah there's some dollar stores and shabby storefronts, just like rozzie square used to have. It's not the back bay but I think in terms of dining alone i would take HP over Dedham.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
My understanding is that it came down to money. Hyde Park was losing it's identity as the street car could easily take people to Boston to work and shop, it's tax rate was much higher than Boston, and town workers earned much less compared to those in Boston.
Id also toss in it might have wanted to secure help managing the Stony Brook and maintaining its culverts and such...

Old 10-30-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Cleary square has good italian, colombian, new american, haitian, dominican, brazillian, great pizza, ron's, decent seafood and the regular assortment of asian / american takeout spots and fast food. Yeah there's some dollar stores and shabby storefronts, just like rozzie square used to have. It's not the back bay but I think in terms of dining alone i would take HP over Dedham.
Dedham has pretty good dining ..idk about taking HP over Dedham there. You can only have wine with youre food at Antonio Bacaros and Rincon Caribeno (closed for renovations) and theyre literally right next to each other. Almost everywhere else is a dingy small space with a few chairs(if any at all). Not saying the food isnt good but its not really a place to go for a good dining experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or