U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 12:07 PM

1,921 posts, read 841,210 times

Advertisements

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...er-of-commerce
Could raising gas tax and rideshare fees help Boston’s transportation woes? Some business leaders say yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 12:11 PM

3,115 posts, read 1,670,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...er-of-commerce
Could raising gas tax and rideshare fees help Boston’s transportation woes? Some business leaders say yes.
ehh, people arent going to stop driving or ridesharing over 15 cents. I think it gimmicky

We raise MBTA fares and it barley makes a dent. Or it does for a month or two and then people adjust. And thats not even a comfortable ride.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:12 PM

1,921 posts, read 841,210 times
Yes but at least more funds will be allocated to mass transit

Old 10-31-2019, 12:16 PM

3,115 posts, read 1,670,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Yes but at least more funds will be allocated to mass transit
That would mean the funds would have to spent wisely and it would imply that we couldn't raise the funds elsewhere in a more creative way.

Its jut not much more than lip service IMO.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:28 PM

9,260 posts, read 8,100,672 times
Given how accustomed the taxpayers/fare payers have become to the waste, corruption and getting zilch back in return; this would be a pretty tough sell. But then again, 70% of this electorate allegedly believes that Baker is a good governor so who really knows? More revenue is probably needed in the end, but any proposal to take more from the people without an equal commitment from our leaders in reducing the waste and corruption; should be dead in the water.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:15 PM

65 posts, read 14,434 times
Raising the gas tax unfairly penalises Western Mass residents, and all rural residents, who don't benefit from public transportation and are dependent on driving private autos for their survival.

I couldn't care less about Boston's transportation woes. We in Franklin County already pay too high a price to subsidize the extravagant lifestyle of the elite royal families of Boston.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:41 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,139,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBThescot View Post
I couldn't care less about Boston's transportation woes. We in Franklin County already pay too high a price to subsidize the extravagant lifestyle of the elite royal families of Boston.
Ha! I’d love to see all the tax money generated in Suffolk and Middlesex counties stay in those counties. Do you really think Franklin county gives more to the rest of the state than it takes?

Old 10-31-2019, 05:16 PM

65 posts, read 14,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Ha! I’d love to see all the tax money generated in Suffolk and Middlesex counties stay in those counties. Do you really think Franklin county gives more to the rest of the state than it takes?
Show your data.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:59 PM

209 posts, read 82,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBThescot View Post
Raising the gas tax unfairly penalises Western Mass residents, and all rural residents, who don't benefit from public transportation and are dependent on driving private autos for their survival.

Fine, I vote to cede everything west of Worcester to upstate New York.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:28 PM

619 posts, read 1,599,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Fine, I vote to cede everything west of Worcester to upstate New York.
And as long as upstate NY and NYC are in the same state, that would be an even worse proposition for Western Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or