U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 07:17 PM

500 posts, read 124,383 times

Advertisements

Hyde park has the fairmount line which comes about every hour and takes 25 min to get to south station

It also has a stop at Hyde park and the providence line and new franklin foxboro line run through and can take you to ruggles back bay south station.

It is considered one of the more affordable parts of Boston. The prices seem to be going up there too. Doesn’t have many good restaurants or bars at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 06:14 AM

1,921 posts, read 841,210 times
My assumption is that the next or maybe even first are of HP to be given attention in a long time is the forest hills, walk hill are. There are already a ton of condos built. Harvest market was a little premature to pull out of that spot across. and the Eugene O'neils spot could serve a good place for food and drink while the other restaurants have been doing well for a while. That small district where the DD adn big fat greek pizza could use an overhaul. Cleary sq just seems like its too far out for most people to care. Sad, because it has great potential. It makes me think that if public transportation really gave a crap about this region what it could have become.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:24 AM

9,260 posts, read 8,096,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
My assumption is that the next or maybe even first are of HP to be given attention in a long time is the forest hills, walk hill are. There are already a ton of condos built. Harvest market was a little premature to pull out of that spot across. and the Eugene O'neils spot could serve a good place for food and drink while the other restaurants have been doing well for a while. That small district where the DD adn big fat greek pizza could use an overhaul.
That's Hyde Park??? I always thought of Cummins Hwy being the boundary. Washington ST./Forest Hills area solidly JP.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:31 AM

3,115 posts, read 1,667,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Having lived in Roslindale, idk if Hyde Park was severely lacking in amenities in comparison. I’d say the same about Westie and Milton too. Dedham and Quincy do have a bit more going on than any of the others.

Edit: Huh. You know, I always thought that the malls and shops along American Legion were in Hyde Park, but google maps says Roslindale. So maybe I spoke too soon.
theyre in the part of Roslindale that feels like Mattapan or hyde park but its Roslindale for sure

Old 11-05-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
My assumption is that the next or maybe even first are of HP to be given attention in a long time is the forest hills, walk hill are. There are already a ton of condos built. Harvest market was a little premature to pull out of that spot across. and the Eugene O'neils spot could serve a good place for food and drink while the other restaurants have been doing well for a while. That small district where the DD adn big fat greek pizza could use an overhaul. Cleary sq just seems like its too far out for most people to care. Sad, because it has great potential. It makes me think that if public transportation really gave a crap about this region what it could have become.
Walk Hill is the last area i see improving.
  • Hard to develp hilly rocky terrain
  • tons of fast food joints, lots of car exhaust
  • lack of neighborhood identity (most of the residents of walk hill street live in Mattapan)
  • little connection to any public transit. The 14 bus is like once every hour and not on the weekends at all-i think..
  • Boston Audobon Society and a cemetery take up huge shares of developable land.
  • Not much of a history to the area or any attractions to see.
  • Crime
  • Not near any major employer or school-not easily commutable either

Old 11-05-2019, 03:06 PM

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/2...-near-mattapan

Life threatening shooting in Hyde park yesterday (Riverwood section near Mattapan)

Last week there was a non fatal shooting on Garfield Avenue in the part of Hyde Park bordering Milton and near Readville(I call it Moynihan).

There were also two shootings in Roslindale very near the Hyde park border and some would say one was IN Hyde Park

Old 11-06-2019, 06:04 AM

1,921 posts, read 841,210 times
Yeah that part of the city is forever plagued with shootings. Still, doesn't mean it can't change. Let's look at South end near Lenox and even Lamartine JP near Bromley Heath.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:40 AM

9,260 posts, read 8,096,724 times
Looks like OP was scared away. Let's try to be a little more helpful in the future, they wanted pros and cons nothing more nothing less. Doesn't require intense interrogation of the inquirer. I'm talking stuff like this. It's pretty uncalled for imho:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're not giving enough to work with. Budget. Lifestyle. Commute.
Pros and cons are going to widely vary from person to person.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah that part of the city is forever plagued with shootings. Still, doesn't mean it can't change. Let's look at South end near Lenox and even Lamartine JP near Bromley Heath.
Look at it for what?? thats still a site of frequent shooting maybe not the last 4/5 months but...overall? The past year year and a half?

Lenox Street quieted down when they took down their longtime rival- the Columbia Point Dawgz.

Castlegate and Sonoma/Maple are other good examples of a areas that used to be extremely violent that arent anymore

Old 11-06-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Looks like OP was scared away. Let's try to be a little more helpful in the future, they wanted pros and cons nothing more nothing less. Doesn't require intense interrogation of the inquirer. I'm talking stuff like this. It's pretty uncalled for imho:
i think Timberline was well within reason here. OP wasnt very specific at all and pros could be cons for others.

I dont think he was too pushy, OP didnt tell us age, where theyre coming from, with who, for how long, ..anything really
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or