Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:50 AM

6,550 posts, read 6,592,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I guess 132 pages of houses from $500K to $5 million.
and 371 pages of homes under $300k, including 10 year old 5 bedroom/3 bath center hall colonials that would cost 3 times more in Dunwoody and 5 times more in Wayland

I'm in Atlanta at least once a month, typically in the north suburbs, including Marietta. I know the area very well, at no one lives in Cobb if they can afford North Fulton or the area around the Perimeter.

Nothing wrong with Marietta, it's just sort of a middle class, nondescript suburb filled with Yankee transplants. But that creates identity crises for people like you, because you have a tract home in a cookie cutter subdivision and are surrounded by chain restaurants and strip malls.

The fact that you insist on describing as something that it's not is a sure sign of your identity crisis.

You go around Boston to places like Milton and Swampscott, and many of these suburbs have their own character and pedestrian shopping areas with local merchants. Problem in Atlanta is that it's just replicated strip malls all the way up Georgia 400 and I-75, can't really tell one place apart from another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:19 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,247,030 times
I went to high school in Galveston. It is NOT part of the Houston metro area. It occupies its own county and has its own identity, quite apart from Houston. My family lives in Houston (Sugar Land, to be precise). I wouldn't live in Houston if I were offered a six-figure salary to do so. Can't stand the place. Huge, dirty, strip malls and billboards EVERYWHERE, horrible public transportation. Sure, there are beautiful outposts--like Sugar Land--but I like accessibility to the city and manageability in urban living, neither of which is possible in Houston.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:52 PM

110 posts, read 547,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
There are quite a few large southern cities on the water: Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads, Jacksonville, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa/St. Pete and Houston is on a bay, not far from the Gulf. Other than Boston and New York, most of the larger northeastern cities are on inland waterways, like Philadelphia, Providence, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and DC.

Norfolk is a city, but really it exists for the Navy base. Besides it's not a major city compared to North east cities.

Virginia Beach and Jacksonville are just glorified suburbs. Lots of sprawl.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 AM

793 posts, read 1,446,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Where did you find MA had an unemployment rate of 4.4%. Last I saw the unemployment rate was over 5% in MA. And an article in the Boston Globe not long showed that MA lost the 2nd most amount of jobs in the last 6-8 years...only Michigan lost more.

Also in addition, MA has lost a substantial amount of jobs since 2001. If you look at last years statistics though the state added 23,000 jobs. So the state seems to be on the right track. Economic growth seems to be healthy as well, outpacing most of the nation.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:32 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,125,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I went to high school in Galveston. It is NOT part of the Houston metro area. It occupies its own county and has its own identity, quite apart from Houston. My family lives in Houston (Sugar Land, to be precise). I wouldn't live in Houston if I were offered a six-figure salary to do so. Can't stand the place. Huge, dirty, strip malls and billboards EVERYWHERE, horrible public transportation. Sure, there are beautiful outposts--like Sugar Land--but I like accessibility to the city and manageability in urban living, neither of which is possible in Houston.
OH puh-leeze. Galveston may not technically be part of Houston metro, but we all know it is in reality. As much as I hate to admit it, Galveston is simply part of Houston's sprawl and is not all that unique when compared to a lot of the Gulf Coast. Fact of the matter is, most people who want to live near a beach live in California of Florida or even Corpus which is much nicer. Move there FAST!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,827,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and have obviously never been here. Check these as one example and keep in mind that a similar house (if you could find it) in MA would be double the price or more:

Marietta, GA, Real Estate Listings and Marietta, GA Single Family Home for Sale - Realtor.com
Thank you for proving my point. I didn't see one house that was older than 1984. McMansion, McMansion, and McMansion.
The house that I own was built in 1888 and everything is original. No Anderson windows and no stair railings that move when you actually use them for what was intended.
Will your house be around in 2108? My house will.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:33 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I'm moving to Dallas this summer and not happy about it at all. I sure won't miss the NE winter, but I will miss the downtown. Dallas ain't got none. I'll also miss the architecture and the history. Dallas ain't got none of that either. I also will miss convenience to a major city (NY). Texas ain't got no major cities. I will look forward to the friendly women and the great shopping though. But I don't look forward to the endless driving. What a waste of life being couped up in a car is!
What?!?! First off, using the term "aint got no" makes you already sound like a Texan (), secondly, "TX doesnt have any major cities"??? Who are you kidding?

Old 05-16-2008, 11:17 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,247,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
OH puh-leeze. Galveston may not technically be part of Houston metro, but we all know it is in reality. As much as I hate to admit it, Galveston is simply part of Houston's sprawl and is not all that unique when compared to a lot of the Gulf Coast. Fact of the matter is, most people who want to live near a beach live in California of Florida or even Corpus which is much nicer. Move there FAST!
Sorry, but you're wrong. Just because Houston has grown bigger and bigger, and thus closer to Galveston, doesn't mean that Galveston is part of Houston metro. Learn your history: Galveston has a history of its own that has nothing to do with Houston. And the people who have grown up in Galveston and who have a family history of living there do not think of Houston as part of that history. I love how people in Houston think they can just claim any community they choose as their own. OH puh-leeze, yourself.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,429,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What?!?! First off, using the term "aint got no" makes you already sound like a Texan (),
Yeah that's funny, huh? The Texas accent and lingo is so catchy I start using the euphemisms just thinking about the place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What?!?! First off, using the term "aint got no" makes you already sound like a Texan (), secondly, "TX doesnt have any major cities"??? Who are you kidding?
Spend a day in NYC, and you'll also agree there are no major cities in Texas.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:04 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,125,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong. Just because Houston has grown bigger and bigger, and thus closer to Galveston, doesn't mean that Galveston is part of Houston metro. Learn your history: Galveston has a history of its own that has nothing to do with Houston. And the people who have grown up in Galveston and who have a family history of living there do not think of Houston as part of that history. I love how people in Houston think they can just claim any community they choose as their own. OH puh-leeze, yourself.
You can say whatever you want, but why did people move from Galveston? Why!?! Because of a storm that's why. (THANK YOU!) After Galveston fell, people moved to Houston. Later people tried to move back, but some just settled for living in between the two. Houston has been claiming just about every community around it. It's the way it's developed and people may not like it but honestly it's just what's happening. I love how people from Galveston think they are so different!

OH puh-leeze!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston