U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2021, 02:28 PM
 
18,874 posts, read 14,014,323 times
Reputation: 9122

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Hardly reckless. Western Mass has reporters (wwlp and masslive) show us all exactly what covers the south shore. Patriot ledger and Brockton enterprise are hardly staffed anymore and all the locals were sold to softbank years ago.

Compare the police logs/FBI data of Holyoke to any South Shore town (I'll let you pick), then get back to me. That's where you get the "numbers", not from the press.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Ok six. In 1990 Boston had 100 so I guess we can't go there. Middleboro just had three people shot this morning which is also sad because they had three housefires this month to date. Boston crime is up significantly. https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...shows/2160366/

If Boston had 100 in 1990, that's still slightly lower than Holyoke's on a per capita basis! So 2020 Holyoke is slightly more dangerous than 1990 Boston. Sounds real safe.



House fires???



Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Do you honestly think that violence is 100% random ? Criminals attack other criminals that's the way it works. Otherwise they'd be calling the cops or suing someone. A drug dealer can't call the cops about stolen drugs. A loanshark isn't going to ask for a SBA loan when people can't pay up Criminals generally don't attack those that aren't. why not? Because they make money legitimately and if they pull out the area becomes poorer.
Most of it isn't random, even in Baltimore or St. Louis it isn't. Doesn't mean most are OK having drive by shootings on their street.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

That's why when a shooting happens in say springfield or holyoke or chicopee cops can find someone pretty fast. there's shot spotter, police sub stations and state police going up I91. Eastern mass doesn't have half of this so if there's an incident you have to call for backup and mutual aid.

Baloney. You think the state police aren't in Eastern Mass., what are you...? No shot spotters in Boston, Worcester...???


Of course the big cities have more cops due to their size but guess what, they also have their hands full with more activity. Suburban towns they still have time to devote to pro-active/community policing which is largely non-existent in the cities now. I do not know why you are so hung up on mutual aid. The system works very well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
What's more dangerous having something more frequently and knowing what to do or having it less frequently and calling for backup An EMT working in a city that sees strokes and heart attacks on a weekly basis or a volunteer health nurse that shows up for five hours a week...

Huh? Because shootings happen more frequently, you are safer because they are more practiced at dealing with it??? I once heard that Detroit Receiving Hospital is the best place to be treated in the world for a gunshot wound. What better place to be shot at than in Detroit!


Really you can't make this stuff up...



Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I bring up holyoke because of the parade, the bars, the restaurants etc. It feels much more Irish than eastern Mass.

I'll take your word, but outside of the big parade (I mean is it bigger than Southie's???) I never heard such before. I would be shocked if there was anywhere in the whole country of Ireland, as dangerous and sketchy as Holyoke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2021, 08:09 AM
 
7,463 posts, read 6,686,802 times
Reputation: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Compare the police logs/FBI data of Holyoke to any South Shore town (I'll let you pick), then get back to me. That's where you get the "numbers", not from the press.






If Boston had 100 in 1990, that's still slightly lower than Holyoke's on a per capita basis! So 2020 Holyoke is slightly more dangerous than 1990 Boston. Sounds real safe.



House fires???





Most of it isn't random, even in Baltimore or St. Louis it isn't. Doesn't mean most are OK having drive by shootings on their street.






Baloney. You think the state police aren't in Eastern Mass., what are you...? No shot spotters in Boston, Worcester...???


Of course the big cities have more cops due to their size but guess what, they also have their hands full with more activity. Suburban towns they still have time to devote to pro-active/community policing which is largely non-existent in the cities now. I do not know why you are so hung up on mutual aid. The system works very well.






Huh? Because shootings happen more frequently, you are safer because they are more practiced at dealing with it??? I once heard that Detroit Receiving Hospital is the best place to be treated in the world for a gunshot wound. What better place to be shot at than in Detroit!


Really you can't make this stuff up...






I'll take your word, but outside of the big parade (I mean is it bigger than Southie's???) I never heard such before. I would be shocked if there was anywhere in the whole country of Ireland, as dangerous and sketchy as Holyoke.
Not the press? The press is where you go for details and it acts as a check against government. One of the biggest open town meeting violation was performed by the police against the press.
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-1st-circuit/1277579.html Why would someone trust a police officer that illegal takes someone camera, assaults them and tries to break it? But he's just one bad apple.....that spent 40 years on the force and elected to the selectboard (that also oversees police) about four times. Like it or not you need some check against government as a form to keep things in line. Without independent media there are higher taxes, costs and more corruption.
https://www.governing.com/archive/go...overnment.html

Besides when you have real accurate reporting it can be more reliable than the blogs and spin that try to fill the gap.
https://www.goerie.com/news/20200112...ice-officers/1
"At the police department in Burlington City, New Jersey, officers are now assigned to constantly monitor social media and efforts are made to “get something out every 15 minutes” after an incident, said police Chief John Fine.

Officers, for example, first became alarmed by false reports trending on social media in April 2018. Officers were responding to reported a stabbing in an apartment building. Police cars were parked outside a nearby gas station, Fine said. “Someone posted online that we had a police-involved shooting at the gas station,” the chief explained.

Things got even worse this November. First, someone posted to social media accounts allegations that cops had shot a 10-year-old child. Later that same day, posts on social media alleged that officers had shot and killed a 20-year-old from the city.

Neither report was true, yet “perception is reality,” Fine said."

If people trust social media more than a police arrest log then we have some serious problems nationwide, independent media can bridge that gap.

Most of the violence IS random. Examine the names of those and see the backgrounds. Like I mentioned criminals generally don't go to the police. Gangs attack other gangs, any officer in any urban area will tell you that. Of course mutual aid works but that's the thing if you still have to rely on it. You can't take pride of some rich affluent community and then go crying back to momma and the state for aid because you can't do it yourself.

Yet you say you have to go by the police logs and yet....

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...me-in-the-u-s/
"What percentage of crimes are reported to police, and what percentage are solved?
Most violent and property crimes in the U.S. are not reported to police, and most of the crimes that are reported are not solved."

Non violent death kills far more than violent death and urban areas are safer than rural https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...injury-deaths/ The qualification of driving is pretty low, legal fire arms pretty high.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=91658&page=1
Having seen a kid get hit by a truck yes I know what that can be like. Statistics and empirical information clearly illustrate you are more likely to die in a car accident than be a victim of gun violence. Certainly we want to lower both. Furthermore if it was such a deterrence why would 10x the city's population turn out annually (precovid) for the st patricks day parade.400,000 is quite a number of people. If they felt unsafe they wouldn't have gone for so long. so it's canceled for covid but not for gun violence

I didn't say that boston and worcester lack shot spotter . You brought up the south shore and outside of urban areas it doesn't exist. It takes longer to get criminals in suburban areas and find them guilty. Less police (since most resources go to schools), less cameras, no shot spotter etc. I grew up near a rifle range and you can hear it constantly. You can't run shot spotter in that environment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 08:13 AM
 
1,296 posts, read 861,733 times
Reputation: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
The median price of a house in MA is north of 450,000. With a 350,000 budget you aren't going to get anything beautiful, especially if you want to stay close to Boston.

Realistically, in your situation you may not get a visa. It's really not that easy to get a visa unless you have close family ties with a US citizen or unless you are a scientist, MD, engineer etc, regardless of what Trump may have said in the past years. You need an institution in the US to sponsor you. Unless they really want you specifically, they aren't going to pay extra to let you come here. An high school is not going to apply for a visa for you.
That's not exactly true - spray on some fake tan, show up at the US-Mexican border, mumble "danger, danger, asylum, asylum" and you're good to go. But yes, if you're not from an enlightened woke elite-approved oppressed group du jour and there's no "danger, asylum" involved you'll need to jump through about a trillion hoops before you can even start the process.

Last edited by bigfatdude; 01-22-2021 at 08:37 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 08:15 AM
 
8,083 posts, read 4,492,033 times
Reputation: 22640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
It amazes me how people think they can live in a large metro and get a nice house in a desirable area for these prices.

You are going to pay 400K plus in any larger metro for a nice single family home. Anywhere...and much more in at least 8 metros, Boston definitely being one.

Even in the DMV 350K is going to be tough. Doable, but not in the better areas.
Dont forget "near the beach".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 08:32 AM
 
1,296 posts, read 861,733 times
Reputation: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Dont forget "near the beach".
Actually it's the other way around - you can in fact get a nice house in good neighborhood for $400,000 or less in most metros other than the usual suspects.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 09:08 AM
 
2,028 posts, read 930,579 times
Reputation: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
That's not exactly true - spray on some fake tan, show up at the US-Mexican border, mumble "danger, danger, asylum, asylum" and you're good to go.
None of the countries you are thinking about are in the top 5 countries that received refugee visas in 2019. 2 (partially) European countries are on it instead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 09:53 AM
 
7,463 posts, read 6,686,802 times
Reputation: 3754
There's significant legal differences between asylum and refugee
https://www.rescue.org/article/migra...ats-difference

if there's violence that's probably a refugee and they can't return home (i.e war)

asylum is a refugee without the legal process yet.

migrant is work related

Immigration is what it says.

Now visas is where it gets complicated. Ever see 90 Day Fiancé? It's a interesting argument because they are in the USA for 90 days to get married but they can't legally work. How can you go to an employer and say I can't work for 90 days? Visas are just odd.

I don't think immigration is a problem. We need immigrants to keep up the population. There's too many areas that might not have a drop in population but are aging out fast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 10:39 AM
 
2,028 posts, read 930,579 times
Reputation: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
How can you go to an employer and say I can't work for 90 days? Visas are just odd.
Probably in part because this one was made a long time ago when the idea was "a man brings a woman here to merry her. She doesn't need to work, she is going to be a housewife like 90% of other women"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 11:35 AM
 
7,463 posts, read 6,686,802 times
Reputation: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Probably in part because this one was made a long time ago when the idea was "a man brings a woman here to merry her. She doesn't need to work, she is going to be a housewife like 90% of other women"
I do get that and I'm sure being reality tv it's somewhat scripted or edited to look a certain way. But the other issue is once someone is here there just isn't that much for them to do while the partner then works. I think there was some German minister in the 60's or 70's that made the argument about Turkish workers in that they wanted workers and they brought families.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2021, 03:56 PM
 
3,128 posts, read 1,224,076 times
Reputation: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
There's significant legal differences between asylum and refugee
https://www.rescue.org/article/migra...ats-difference

if there's violence that's probably a refugee and they can't return home (i.e war)

asylum is a refugee without the legal process yet.

migrant is work related

Immigration is what it says.

Now visas is where it gets complicated. Ever see 90 Day Fiancé? It's a interesting argument because they are in the USA for 90 days to get married but they can't legally work. How can you go to an employer and say I can't work for 90 days? Visas are just odd.

I don't think immigration is a problem. We need immigrants to keep up the population. There's too many areas that might not have a drop in population but are aging out fast.
Actually the main difference is that Asylum is sought from within the United States after entering. Refugees apply from outside the US. Both require the individual to demonstrate they are subject to persecution in their country of origin based on one or more of the following factors: religion, nationality, race, political opinion or membership in a given social group.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top