Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 04:08 PM

59 posts, read 273,911 times

Advertisements

Required reading for the those that don't get why Boston is a racist city: https://apps.bostonglobe.com/spotlig...image-reality/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 04:41 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunit00 View Post
Required reading for the those that don't get why Boston is a racist city: https://apps.bostonglobe.com/spotlig...image-reality/
we've all read this it won a pulitzer and is 4 years old. Virtually any city could do this if they took the time to research it though. This is not why Boston "is a racist city" these are inequities that exist everywhere

If you want to make that argument I would point out things that perpetuate inequality in Boston that dont exist in most other places (our degree of local control, liquor license cap, off year elections). Merely pointing out Boston has inequalities and white neighborhoods doesn't make it worse than anywhere else. Just because the Globe wrote about it doesn't make it worse.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:35 PM

59 posts, read 273,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
we've all read this it won a pulitzer and is 4 years old. Virtually any city could do this if they took the time to research it though. This is not why Boston "is a racist city" these are inequities that exist everywhere

If you want to make that argument I would point out things that perpetuate inequality in Boston that dont exist in most other places (our degree of local control, liquor license cap, off year elections). Merely pointing out Boston has inequalities and white neighborhoods doesn't make it worse than anywhere else. Just because the Globe wrote about it doesn't make it worse.
This is whataboutism : also known as whataboutery, is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument

At least show some data to back your claims.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:42 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
This is whataboutism : also known as whataboutery, is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument

What about focusing on substance instead of sensationalism?

Can't actually read this series without subscribing. I can read the intro though.

Quote:
​Here you will find ​our ​full seven-part series, in which we tried to answer a question so critical to the city's identity and future: Does Boston still deserve its reputation as a place unwelcoming to blacks?
I feel like this language would already be considered poor taste by the same outlet in 2021.

What about lived experience? I think the term has become very over applied, but if it ought to apply anywhere it would be here. The series main editor is an Asian woman with a Harvard degree and a panel of 6 other journalists. It seems there are no native black Bostonian voices on that list.

Granted Adrian Walker has lived in the city for many years, but still, could they not find any black writers at the globe who grew up in the city to contribute? If so, do they bring that up in the series as part of the problem?

Did the series have a substantial impact on QOL in Boston? Was the impact it did have even considered a net positive, given everything discussed in this thread? Is it possible that well intentioned, but out of touch writers could have done a disservice by writing this series? Could it possibly have added to Boston's bad reputation by "shining a light" on what amounts to national problems, calling them local ones, without making any substantive changes in doing so? It it possible that the real local problems were overlooked because there were no locals on the panel to bring them up?

Why is it that series like this are written by a racially diverse cast of ivy league degree holders and can win pretigious literary prizes yet each time they claim the problem is getting worse? Are they selling more than they are solving? Why does it so often seem like wealthiest and most well connected groups the ones crying the loudest about the problems that they alone have the resources to solve?

It makes me think of a neighborhood with a burgler on the loose breaking into houses. The news stations come by a victim's house with spotlights and cameras to "SHINE A LIGHT ON THE PROBLEM". All they accomplished is keeping the first victims up all night while the burgler moves on unnoticed to a different house.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:

explain to me how that's whataboutism? This is just a reality. Systemic inequities exist in every city and in some metrics Boston does very well, in most it does a little above average. The Globe's job was to expose inequities-and they did that. I didnt charge you with hypocrisy- I said I've read that entire series more than once. It doesnt highlight the absence of inequality in other cities, rather it says there are fewer black people gaining access to wealth and prominence in Boston than numerous other cities all with much alarger black populations. It doesn't make an effort to talk to native black Bostonians, nor does it make an effort to compare to cities with similar demographics, especially on a metro level. So whiel the findings are accurate on the whole, they're not what makes Boston a racist city...that has to be things unique to the soial condition in Boston. Not the creation fo a white neighborhood like the seaport or the staggering wealth gap. Those same conditions exist where ei live in Baltimore and in San Francisco. The social exclusion of black people from Downtown or the mayors office does not. Dig deeper.

I'm not gonna pull the data because black trauma data is more than readily available for anyone. You're not asking me to pull any specific data to compare to either. You just need to brush up on your game. I've always advocated for equality in Boston and you're just wet behind the ears if I'm being honest, young gun.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post

Did the series have a substantial impact on QOL in Boston? Was the impact it did have even considered a net positive, given everything discussed in this thread? Is it possible that well intentioned, but out of touch writers could have done a disservice by writing this series? Could it possibly have added to Boston's bad reputation by "shining a light" on what amounts to national problems, calling them local ones, without making any substantive changes in doing so? It it possible that the real local problems were overlooked because there were no locals on the panel to bring them up?

I do think it had a positive impact on QOL for POC in Boston because it was really ugly to see it all written out. But I also agree wholeheartedly with the bolded.

Any substantive changes came from the pressure it applies, not necessarily anysolutions they proposed.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:35 PM

All-Inclusive Boston Phase II press conference. This shows some of the faces of the new Mayor Wu administration. They talk about increasing the tourism sector of Boston by attracting more diverse residents and how to overcome the negative perceptions of the city etc. They announced a nationwide partnership with NBC Universal but particularly its New England television stations. The city also plans to track how racially diverse visitors to Boston are. The Chief of Inclusion and Opportunity said "maybe now people will stop asking us to pahk the cah in harhvahd yahd" . A reporter also asks Mayor Wu about the resistance she has faced from white Bostonians. She declined to answer directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYhcakdrvJE

Old 01-10-2023, 02:42 PM

This came up in my Black / African Americans in New England Facebook group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5izDd-JP-o

As white people- are you all asked about Boston's reputation often in your travels? Cant avoid it as a Black person and I fugre you would have to hear it sometimes but not as often. I'm curious, and do you really feel Boston could use a tweak in its image? Does the reputation Boston have ever affect you professionally or personally?

Old 01-10-2023, 03:24 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Absolutely no doubt I've been prejudged by certain people based on my Boston ties. Perception is indeed the root of all prejudice and is quite common among humans, often revealing itself in many forms. It is most common among those seriously lacking in self-awareness and those who believe their view of the world is the "normal" view, so to speak. The city has its tumultuous racial past, just as it has with ethnic strife, organized crime, corruption and other notables. Its past is also steeped in abolitionist history and other noble traits. It is well known for being a shining beacon on a hill to many. Indeed, the city is majority minority. People can choose to perpetuate stereotypes and hold negative perceptions based on ignorance or hearsay. If they are intelligent people they will choose to form their perceptions based on the reality of their own deeper experiences.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:25 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
As white people- are you all asked about Boston's reputation often in your travels? Cant avoid it as a Black person and I fugre you would have to hear it sometimes but not as often. I'm curious, and do you really feel Boston could use a tweak in its image? Does the reputation Boston have ever affect you professionally or personally?

Really hasn't come up in many years now, but I've also been traveling less. People seem quite indifferent in general lately ("a city is a city").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston