Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 28,875 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to this Forum. I currently reside in Pittsford, NY which is a suburb of Rochester in western NYS. I have lived here for many many years. I am currently owned by my 4 year old Saint Bernard dog, and my 2 year old Newfoundland, who just had a birthday last week.

I am very interested in relocating to an area near Boston, Ma. I have wanted to live in Boston for quite some time now. I love my dogs and have done a lot of work with animal rescue in my area. I need to find an area that is very dog friendly.... my dogs are very dog and people friendly and love to socialize. Their happiness is very important to me.

I also would like to be able to walk to dog parks and have them play on the ocean beaches. ( I am very very conscientious about cleaning up after my dogs and think this is an important part of being a good dog owner )

Being within walking distance to shops and public transportation is another factor.

I have been searching for houses on the web, but really to would love to hear from other dog owners !!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:45 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
Oh, a St. Bernard! I love those. I hope you'll post photos!!

I think neighborhood recommendations depend a lot on budget and commuting distance. Do you plan to work right in Boston? Want to live in the city or further out with a larger yard for the dogs? I have a friend who lives down the street from Wollaston Beach and likes it there a lot - the dogs love to run around on the beach and she's walking distance to the "T" (subway). They have large dogs but their yard is not super large (I think about 1/4 acre or a little smaller).

Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 AM

hi,
i'm so glad you wrote back to me.... do you have a saint bernard as well ? I'll try to figure out how to add photos
As to your queries, I am semi-retired and live with my grown daughter. We have a small dog and cat business that we are working on developing. Therefore, our location is rather flexible, within the parameters I mentioned in original post.
We live in a rather small suburban area now. It's quite lovely. We are next to 13 acres of forever wild land woods and fields... nice..... but also near a swamp.... not so nice when the dogs go into the muck for a stroll .... also have to drive everywhere for anything, which I very much dislike.. want mass transit !!

I would be looking for a single, or perhaps 2 family house under $350,000.....definitely with a nice fenced in yard , large kitchen.... my daughter loves to cook and bake and sun for our flowers and vegetable garden ..... can NOT believe the prices of so many houses around Boston .... I mean in the millions !! Who lives in these mansions ??

I really want a NICE Friendly Safe town area.... my daughter does not drive and I enjoy walking...really also want the option of walking distance to mass transit... lived in cities before.... so we want walking distance to basic amenities.... thought of maybe the North Shore ?? or south Plymouth.... maybe even the beginning third of the Cape ?
it is SO hard..... there are so many towns.... also am currently in training to be a vet tech.... but that is not locale specific...

Old 05-16-2008, 07:44 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I would love to see pictures of your dogs, especially the Newf. Is s/he a black or a landseer? Way back a lifetime ago I owned and operated a grooming shop and was a vet receptionist (and some-time tech). Those were the days when my weekends were schlepping around in the breed and obedience rings (GSD's) and not schlepping around showing houses Here is a list of dog parks in Massachusetts: Massachusetts Dog Fun and as you'll note, there are varying rules at different parks. Some require pre-registration (a good idea IMO)

You mentioned wanting to bring the dogs to the beach--you should know that many beaches allow dogs only in the off-season (September to April). Unfortunately, most people do not clean up after their pets, and the beaches would quickly become unusable if everybody brought their dogs... As you know, there are some dogs that are better off left at home (I enjoyed the St. Patricks Day parade having to keep one eye on the animal-aggressive un-muzzled pit-bull type dog who was lunging, barking and growling at the horses in the parade, and at every other dog who walked by with their owner.

Here's a website that might help in your search: Commonwealth Communities (http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=mg2terminal&&L=3&L0=Home&L1=State+Governme nt&L2=Local+Government&sid=massgov2&b=terminalcont ent&f=cc_landing&csid=m - broken link)
And here is a very cool interactive map of assessment data/property tax info: Massachusetts property tax 2007 - Boston.com
Keep in mind that the numbers shown are AVERAGE assessments (the darker the shading, the more affluent the community).

If you are considering the north shore, and you're looking to stay in the 350K range, you might consider Amesbury (close to the ocean, public transit available through MVRTA (http://www.mvrta.com/51/51.shtml (broken link)) and an average home price of approx. 366K.

Last edited by Valerie C; 05-16-2008 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-06-2008, 01:34 PM

hi,
thank you for responding... i note that quite a few people read my post, but only 2 wrote responses.... i am a bit surprised because i had read that Boston area is quite pet friendly.... ?!

my newfie is 98% black... a bit of white on chest and tail..... he is very sweet 2years old.... but quite the bruiser.... my other newfie was a very active volunteer therapy dog..... hoped to do the same with Harry, but will see if he can become a bit more sedate ... he is good on leash..... and i always always pick up after my dogs and am constantly giving out dog bags to other people and cleaning up after my neighbors' dogs.... this is a source of annoyance to me..... it is the dog's owners OBLIGATION to pick up after their dogs.... and this lack of basic consideration is causing all the bans on dogs in public areas..... nuts.... oh yes.... another peeve... irresponsible owners bringing their aggressive &/or unsocialized no obedience training... dogs out in public

do you have a dog now ?

i want to be in a friendly "neighborhood".... in more the old fashioned sense... where people are willing to lend a hand to their neighbors.... but need to be within walking distance to public transportation !!!! my daughter doesn't drive and this is of utmost importance.....plus I want to use public transport myself.... want to be within 1-2 miles of some basic stores, pharmacy, medical clinic ? maybe... walk to park.... i love walking with my dogs !!
what about up north..... nice safe towns ? BEVERLY MARBLEHEAD GLOUCESTER or south PLYMOUTH ???

Last edited by LuvBigDogs; 06-06-2008 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: web link didn't work proplerly

Old 09-28-2008, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 9,109 times
Default Gloucester MA

Gloucester MA has quite a few Dog Friendly places as well. Good Harbor Beach has a community of dog owners that meet everyday to walk their pooches from Sept 15 - May 14th. Lots of parks and Trails that my Jack loves.
Also I just moved to South Easton, and their are huge parks all around that allow dogs (leashed) as well as The Sheep Pasture, and David Ames Clock Farm Field (Unleashed) across from Stonehill College.

Some pics at Massachusetts Dog Friendly Parks website([URL="http://www.MaDogFriendlyParks.com"]www.MaDogFriendlyParks.com[/URL]).

Hope that helps!
Dan

Old 09-29-2008, 06:00 AM

41 posts, read 308,513 times
There are a lot of dog-friendly places and dog communities both in and out of the city. While my experiences are only for in Boston, I was surprised at how many people do just fine with large dogs... and we're always able to find each other, especially when there is any kind of park close by.

I'm in Fort Hill and there are lots of dogs here... and Peters Park in the South End is lots of fun too.

I've got a 2 year old 75 lb. male yellow lab that I adopted from rescue this past summer. It's been an awesome time!
Attached Thumbnails
looking for Big Dog Friendly neighborhood outside Boston, Ma-dscn2545.jpg  

Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,747 times
I have a 5 acre home for sale in a great dog friendly North Shore location. It is private yet just five minutes to Route 128 and a forty minute drive to Boston. What price range are you looking in?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 AM

3 posts, read 9,640 times
Marblehead! Especially Old Town. Fantastic winding streets, beaches (fresh and salt water), classic, charming old fishing/sailing town with tons of charm but not precious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston