U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 09:17 AM

3,792 posts, read 1,584,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
The community needs to know? You mean, the community that will surely blame Walgreens for tempting the community into stealing by if Walgreens dares to bring up the theft issue, similarly to how that same community blames cops for community members shooting each other?
Journalism should be about reporting facts. There are more people in those communities who care about having the services than about false narratives - if that's what's going on. Walgreen's also pulled out of San Fran because of losses stemming from lax enforcement and prosecution by Soros-backed DA's. We don't have one as of recently but have policies reverted? People here say everything is working wonderfully. Okay, then tell me why they all closed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 09:35 AM

18,699 posts, read 9,045,798 times
The only issue for me is the extreme lack of notice. They gave folks like a week. Cmon.

When I used to go to a Walgreens on Norfolk Street in Mattapan they made me leave my backpack at the front of the store. The only other place that ever happened to me on Park Street in Hartford.

If it was losses- did they try that? There are Walgreens in worse neighborhoods than these Dorchester and Roxbury.

I do know one recently closed ( 2-3 years ago) at the intersection of Bowdoin and Geneva.

And yes Walgreens does open in a broader range of areas than CVS, for sure. But the Walgreens CEO makes $28M in total compensation (up from $17M for the last CEO) and Walgreens is posting record profits worldwide. They could've gave more notice and tried more.

But I know some of the locations. A few things are locked behind glass or plastic and require assistance to open- but that is not a Walgreens only thing, and is not a Boston-only thing.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:35 AM

827 posts, read 1,137,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Journalism should be about reporting facts. There are more people in those communities who care about having the services than about false narratives - if that's what's going on. Walgreen's also pulled out of San Fran because of losses stemming from lax enforcement and prosecution by Soros-backed DA's. We don't have one as of recently but have policies reverted? People here say everything is working wonderfully. Okay, then tell me why they all closed.
OK, so I live sorta-kinda near one of the closing locations. It borders a mixed race neighborhood. There is an elderly housing complex not far from it.

When you walk in the first thing you notice are the bare shelves. There is a smattering of different goods but they're all sandwiched in an area that, I presume, is easier to monitor.

There is very little inventory compared to, say, the Walgreens closer to my house. It's like night and day.

From what I understand this particular Walgreens is primarily a pharmacy for the elderly housing complex as well the surrounding neighborhood. The amount of shrinkage they've had in the past prompted them to not carry as many items as, say, the Walgreens closer to me. There's also the issue of staff shortages for that particular location. In sum, Walgreens obviously decided to cut its losses. I daresay they decided the same thing for the other locations.

Neighborhood people are still bemoaning the closing but are also ignoring the fact that there's a CVS not two blocks away. Go figure.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:46 AM

19,783 posts, read 14,826,718 times
Is it me or has Walgreens gone WAY downhill over the past 10-15 years in prices and selection? I still use them once in a while because CVS is such a scummy company that if I have to choose one...

Old 11-10-2022, 09:54 AM

10,263 posts, read 4,297,381 times
These stores seem all the same to me I guess. I guess CVS might be a little nicer than Walgreens. What about Rite Aid, are those still around? You can get prescriptions at walmart and target now too right?

Old 11-10-2022, 10:24 AM

21,162 posts, read 6,865,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Can I ask why you're on this forum? Did you just want a chance to argue with me more? Because I know you're not from Boston.

This is the Boston area and there are plenty of PharmD's in the area. One trend I've noticed is that a lot of them want to work at the many biopharma companies Boston has and I'm guessing they're easily hired there which is likely more attractive than working at a drive up clinic in Mattapan. So you could be right that it's hard to hire someone with a PharmD at a Walgreens...but I wouldn't think the same would be said for a pharmacy tech.

Pharmacies might be headed down the same path as banks? You can get prescriptions online and delivered these days. Seems like nothing will stop people from abusing drugs if that's what they decide to do. Something will have to be done because it's also getting ridiculous in how long it can take to get a medication you need refilled. You often have to schedule an appt with the dr which can take a while before you can get the prescription renewed.
I may not be from Boston or live in the market but I spend a lot of time working in Boston and Mass.

Apparently the answer to my question is "no".

Old 11-10-2022, 10:30 AM

Yep not the first time you've inquired personal details about my life.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:36 AM

3,792 posts, read 1,584,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Is it me or has Walgreens gone WAY downhill over the past 10-15 years in prices and selection? I still use them once in a while because CVS is such a scummy company that if I have to choose one...
I'm also not a CVS fan.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:36 AM

https://www.zippia.com/answers/are-p...obs-declining/

Old 11-10-2022, 04:33 PM

7,549 posts, read 5,044,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
According to many of the residents, they don't have nearby alternatives.
That sounds subjective as hell to me. Furthermore there is always Amazon and other online retailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston