U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-06-2007, 06:33 PM

213 posts, read 677,398 times

Advertisements

Which towns are situated between Boston and Providence and are on the commuter rail? Looking for a town that has some interesting things to do. No children so no need to worry about schools. Thanks everyone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 06:57 PM

1,815 posts, read 7,733,221 times
umm.. Isn't it just as easy to check on the computer since you are already on one?

[url]http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/[url]

Looks like Canton or Sharon.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:08 PM

thanks for the replies.....I could just look on a mbta map, however; I don't think the map would tell me if the towns have things to do or are safe, etc.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:38 PM

4,211 posts, read 6,161,008 times
Halfway betwween Boston and Providence would be Sharon and the surrounding towns. They are all very safe, very suburban and mostly geared to families. There are several good restaurants, but for any kind of real nightlife per se, you would probably want to go to Boston or Providence.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:36 PM

33 posts, read 169,256 times
Default I will tell you a great town!

hi everyone -
Mansfield MA is where you want to be! perfectly situated between Providence and Boston. I lived here all my life, sadly I may have to relocate.

houses are pretty expensive these days, but the school system and community is wonderful. Great place to live.

Also, we have 95 and 495 -- your two major highways going to Boston, Providence, cape cod and more! you're all set! they all wind up here, right in Mansfield!
good luck!

Old 01-07-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsauer View Post
thanks for the replies.....I could just look on a mbta map, however; I don't think the map would tell me if the towns have things to do or are safe, etc.
These are little sub-urban towns. They are safe. Most are in bed by 9pm.

What is your definition of fun? What kind of thing would you like to do? Everything is within an hour drive.

Canton has bluehills for skiing and hiking.
There are plenty of clubs in Providence and Boston.
Braintree and Wrentham has big retail.
Foxborough has football.

I'm not sure what "etc" you are looking for.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:13 AM

sadly, I am not young...but I am single....just recently lost my only child in an auto accident so I am looking to go some place new...I was thinking of Providence, but then a recruitor told me that it is better to live between Boston and Providence so you can commute to either place for jobs....I do like the outdoors and the arts....not sure how well I will do in big family areas at the moment...thank you all for your replies.....I love New England and can't wait to move.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:46 PM

sorry about your loss.

Not sure where you're from. As I mention, MA is small. Everything is within 1-1.5 hrs. The Cape, Narragansett Bay, North/South Shore all have beautiful ocean views and some pretty beaches. You can even go to the white mountains in NH. In ~4hrs, you're in NYC. In 5 hours, you can be in Canada (Montreal).

As to museum, there are a few in Boston (like Isabella Stewart Gardner, MFA, ... etc) Just check the website.

The one that I think most people missed is the PEM (Peabody Essex Museum) in Salem MA. It even has a house brought all the way from China. I mean they literally took a house down brick by brick and rebuild it back in MA. Checkout their website. pem.org

If you're into swords and weapons, you'll love Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester.

Best wishes. Welcome.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:24 AM

thank you all for your replies and kind words....Smarty, thanks for the FYI about the Peabody Essex Museum...that sounds wonderful....I will definitely look into it....JohnnyCakes, I also thought I might get a little lonely away from everything....I need as many distractions as I can get right now so living in a city may be helpful....I am in the process of saving as much as I can...I've moved in with a friend so I can save some money.....I work in Software QA and, apparently, the recruiter told me I will never be out of work...but, I've heard that before...

thanks again to everyone for all your help!!

Old 01-08-2007, 11:09 AM

gamsauer,

As I mention in another post, there are high percentage of women in MA than men. You're in luck! Especially older women. LOL. Desperate Housewives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston