Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:33 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times

Advertisements

Free Food and Drink! A truck. Swimming pool. You guys are my best friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 02:53 PM

278 posts, read 1,063,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Free Food and Drink! A truck. Swimming pool. You guys are my best friend.
Smarty, what's with you and trucks? You seem to have a fondness for them? BTW, what do people in MA with swimming pools do in the winter? Do they have to drain them, do they freeze, or what? Just curious, in case we buy a house w/pool.
(<:
~lorilou

Old 01-10-2007, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilou View Post
Smarty, what's with you and trucks? You seem to have a fondness for them? BTW, what do people in MA with swimming pools do in the winter? Do they have to drain them, do they freeze, or what? Just curious, in case we buy a house w/pool.
(<:
~lorilou
I'm a little to cheap to pay someone to do the yard work. (we do not have too many cheap labor here; legal or illegal.) Truck is so handy to move stuff when needed. However, could never justify one.

As to swimming pool, I do not own one. I heard people drain it. However, I would not know since I do not own one. It is so nice to go for a dip and not worry about heating, cleaning, filtering, maintaining, insurance, fencing, ... etc it. [Yes. heating the pool during the summer ]

Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 AM

Johnnycakes,

That is why I want neighbors to have the swimming pool. He does all the work and I can enjoy the benefits.

Great pictures! Lucky you! Not to have to endure the traffic going to the cape. Too bad I am afraid of heights (or I'll be your best friend)!

Now I have to add season tickets to my list. hehe.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
We moved here a year ago and we're pretty miserable too. After a recent trip back to see old buddies in Atlanta, we came to a realization. We'll always be miserable if we keep thinking about the good old times. We have to put our past aside and start a new life here. That's the way I see it.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:50 PM

52 posts, read 229,905 times
Default You're right

I think you're right and that's a great attitude to have. To a certain degree though, I feel like it's easier said that done. Of course, if you know you're going to be here regardless of where you want to be then you really have no choice but to build a life for yourself over time. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2007, 09:28 PM

8 posts, read 28,019 times
Thumbs down 40 years. I am giving up and moving first chance i get.

Boston is not a very friendly place. I am moving out of here the first chance i get. It is not you. I have never been able to crack the city and I am 40 years old. the closest friends I have ever had have been transplants from somewhere else. Sadly most of my friends have moved out of here. I hope to join them soon. One set of neighbors ignored me when I said hi to them. lol that's how it is here. it's not you. If you are thinking opf moving here you will regret it. that includes Boston/Massachusetts/Southern NH/southern Maine/ all of RI.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi...5/mass_exodus/

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...ing/?page=full

Old 01-23-2007, 07:43 AM

177 posts, read 532,291 times
I totally agree with spkttrader.. Boston has not been a very friendlly place for me either. I never in my life met so many people that have been so rude - well you sure find them in Boston.
I go to CA people start talking to me about random things, guys says good morning at the beach... same down south.
You say good morning to someone around here they sink you are nuts.
All my friends have moved away from here and seemed happy.. well I am right behind them - first chance I get - I am outa here ;-)

Old 01-23-2007, 09:49 AM

Have you guys lived in NYC? Just remember you are in a city.

We've been taught NOT to talk to strangers. Our experience told us, IF someone come up to you and say HI. They want something (just like your teenager.)

Friendliness is not the reason why people leave the state!

It is the ability to make enough money to keep up the high cost of living around here. You notice that people who come into the area are mostly in management or executive level. For every ONE of them coming in, their income could replace 2-3 people leaving. There are 1000s of kids coming to Boston area. They and their parents are paying $40-50K a year to get educated. There is no lack of money here. Life is good for those people. Just look at the how busy Boston's shopping areas are. (USNews has a recent article about income gap. Basic message is if your income is tied to wages, you are screwed!)

Quote:
From US News
Data from the Federal Reserve for 2001 to 2004 show that median family income rose just 1.6 percent during that period, compared with 9.5 percent during 1998 to 2001. Income distribution from 1995 to 2004, during both an economic boom and a recession, kept tilting toward the already wealthy. The top income quartile gained 77 percent, while the bottom gained just 8 percent. Such statistics reinforce the commonly held notion that Congress and Washington are only looking out for the rich, changing the tax code in recent years to favor those who derive their income from investments rather than wages.
Also, from spktrader's link, the low level jobs being taken by immigrants. Many jobs are also moving overseas. Putting a squeeze on wages. That is why so many people are unhappy.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:43 AM

52 posts, read 229,905 times
Default i'm sorry

Smarty, you seem well-intentioned but I just have to disagree with you. I've lived in 3 other major cities, each of them larger than Boston, and have never experienced anything like it. My neighbors here won't even make eye contact with me.

Boston has a lot to offer and I can totally see why people who like living here, but it is a darn tough place to move, unless you happen to get really lucky and all in with a group of transplants. People warned me and I didn't listen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston