Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:45 PM

179 posts, read 1,208,940 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a tiny loft or studio apartment in Back Bay. I don't care if it's tiny, it just has to have hardwood floors and be clean. I don't want to pay more than $800/month for rent. I found a lot of listings on a website from East Coast Realty...does anybody have experience working with this company? Should I go through them or through some other source? Are these listings legit - or are they filled with hidden charges and do not include any utilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:42 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRyder View Post
I am looking to buy a tiny loft or studio apartment in Back Bay. I don't care if it's tiny, it just has to have hardwood floors and be clean. I don't want to pay more than $800/month for rent. I found a lot of listings on a website from East Coast Realty...does anybody have experience working with this company? Should I go through them or through some other source? Are these listings legit - or are they filled with hidden charges and do not include any utilities?
I looked on Boston.com and only saw one listing in BB < 800 - and it was a summer sublet. I found 4 listing < 900. there were about 30 between 900 & 1000. I would guess that most of these do NOT include utilities.

I looked at East Coast Realty .com and saw nothing less than $900 at all.

Back Bay is the priciest neighborhood in Boston, one of the priciest in the USA per sq foot anyways. Less than $800 will be hard to find, you're making the realtor work for the money, that's for sure.

Why do you need to live in BB when you really can't afford it? There's plenty of nearby neighborhoods just as nice better in some ways than the floofy BB. You might have better luck if you expand your horizons a bit. Consider Fenway, Allston, Cambridge, or the South End. And if you can't pay $800 plus utilities, you need to find a roommate.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 AM

Hey Bostonian...I am not opposed to living in another area, I just want my own place. Go to Boston Apartments - Boston Real Estate Apartment Rentals, Massachusetts Apartments Real Estate Apartment Rentals and Sales, Boston Real Estate Rentals, Massachusetts Rentals, Massachusetts Apartments in Boston, Apartments, Boston Real Estate Sales, B and search for studios (drop down menu) or check off "Just Lofts" and put the max price as $1000...there are a bunch that come up that aren't listed on East Coast Realty's website that are not for them. Are they for real? Yikes...

Thanks for your help btw!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:36 AM

w w w . b o s t o n a p a r t m e n t s . com (NO SPACES) if the above link does not work for you!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:37 AM

I chose back bay b/c it's where my work is and they seemed cheaper than a lot of other ones (according to the website in the OP)

Old 06-16-2008, 02:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRyder View Post
I chose back bay b/c it's where my work is and they seemed cheaper than a lot of other ones (according to the website in the OP)
Well you're right HR - I do see some listing in BB for $800. I just see a lot more for a little more. So yeah, I'd say those are legit. Call 'em up. back Bay is a very nice place to live. I suggest you start there. Then when you get to town if you want to cut expenses give giving up the regal unnecessities, by all means!

Keep in mind though a "fee" means you pay the realtor 1 month's rent for finding you the apt.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:01 PM

284 posts, read 1,167,123 times
It's nice to live in Back Bay, my boyfriend and I had a studio for $975 on Hemenway. It was a bit of a rowdy neighborhood though during the school year, with Berklee and the colleges of the Fenway nearby.

Personally, I've never felt comfortable with realtors. To me, it signified a hands-off landlord - if they aren't willing to show the place themselves, what will happen when I need his/her assistance? Also, paying first month's months rent, last month, plus a security deposit, and a realtor fee (which can be as must as 1 months rent) just wasn't practical. If you're working in Back Bay, the South End and the Fenway are also within walking distance.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:02 AM

I called up the realtor and he said that many of those listings were outdated...he did say however that there were apartments there but "I was not going to like them" and they were in "undesirable locations" .... He is going to try to find me something though but he said that I would probably like a place that was around $1000. A rowdy neighborhood would not be good for me! I have to be in at work in the AM every day and can't stay up all night

Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,251 times
Back Bay is fantastic. We live on the public garden side and it's quiet and close to everything. That being said, it is expensive and finding a good deal is difficult. We scored a good deal (relatively) by getting into a summer sublet that had an option to renew on September 1st. The new renew rate is $100 more. That's a lot when you're on a budget, but we still got a great deal. I think $800 is going to be difficult, but craigslist can be your best friend. Are you local? BB can get rowdy once you are closer to Gloucester-ish and further out (Hereford/Mass Ave.), etc. Stay closer to the garden and it will be a lot more quiet. And stay off of Newbury/Commonwealth. More expensive and a lot noisier. Marlborough is great (biased). Beacon is good too, just get a place that's on the back side of Beacon, away from traffic. Cheers! and good luck!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 PM

Hey everybody....thanks for all of the tips. I am looking at an apartment I found on craiglist which is in a brownstone "centrally located between back bay proper and kenmore square" - is this a good location for professionals or do you think it will be rowdy with all college students?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston