Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 AM

118 posts, read 480,040 times

Advertisements

but yes to the OP, just be smart about the move. save enough money for the move, acple months rent and maybe money to move home if u dont like it there. but remember, a place is only as good as u make it to be and you gotta enjoy it while u can. but make sure u have a job 1st and foremost just to be on the safe side. and when did u plan on moving? a gf of mine is looking for a roomie asap. 2bd 2 bth(u get ur own) about a 1000sqft in quincy, just right outside of boston. well hope u make the move, i'm actually tryin to move to sacramento area to see how it is then maybe to socal if i can. any questions let me know.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,006 times
I read some people here telling you to nix a certain style, accent, or taste. I say just be yourself; people appreciate authenticity over whether you are like them. The real you will come out sooner or later. If you move to Boston, you'll never be a native Bostonian anyways so don't even try. Just be yourself.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:55 AM

137 posts, read 396,737 times
Regarding accents, I think we must differentiate between slang plus sentence construction and what is really just accent. While you can "ditch" slang as goyguy advises, (if you truly recognize what of your vocabulary is slang - most people do), you can't just "leave off" an accent. If you are going to, say, succeed in an interview, you are going to have to learn a new accent. Totally (literally, not Valley). And that takes a while. So if you need a job when you get to Boston, start your accent practice now. Its not easy to sound "correct" in another part of the country. In spite of what people will tell you that have not lived in different parts of the country, there is no place without an accent. The homeboys just don't recognize that they have it. They are the dominant majority. You are the one trying to make friends. They hold the keys to the city. You can't just drop something in one second and be accepted. You are going to have to practice and learn something, like learning a role. Boston may certainly be slower to warm up to strangers, but everywhere is slow (even California) if the stranger has an accent. I suggest renting some videos set in Boston and play them over and over, speaking along with the actors. Best bets: The Friends of Eddie Coyle (listen to the hoods talk); The Verdict (don't listen to Newman, listen to the Judge); Good Will Hunting (Damon and Affleck both acceptable). I say "best bets" because many movies about Boston are not set there, and if they are, the director forgets about doing the accent. And then some of the accents are no good. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:53 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,200,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicad View Post
I'm 22 years old and I currently live in San Diego. Lately, I've been seriously considering moving to Boston in the next two years.
I know Bostonians are sometimes thought of as cold and rude, but I think they're just feisty.

How can I expect to be treated, coming to Boston as a Southern California girl? Unfortunately, my valley-girl accent does slip out from time to time but I can't help it

All my friends are discouraging me from moving to the east coast, saying that those mean Bostonians will eat me alive basically.

I know this is kind of a silly question, but all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!
Happy to give you my take as a California girl who moved to Ma. a year ago. If you are talking about using words such as "like" all the time, I think that would drive anybody crazy! Just so you know, accents are perceived as a class thing here. If you have a heavy Bostonian accent such as the "pak the ca" thing, educated and upper class people tend to look down on it. I have met people here that went to teachers to help them lose their accent to get ahead in business,etc. without being labeled being from a certain area, class. Personally, coming from an area with no accents, I find the accents here charming. You can have "Valley" talk at any middle school, high school, or college as it has become a national slang and twang for years now. Plenty of kids that my son goes to high school with that were brought up here sound like they could have lived in the Valley and I doubt they plan on losing it once they are in college.
My only issue here are the driving habits here and the unwritten rule that there are no rules. Other than that, I have met nothing but friendly and warm people here. Where ever you go I would suggest not overthinking how you can fit it and what people may expect from you. Just be yourself and you will attract the right people. You can't please everyone, no matter where you are. Just be happy, enjoy your life, make every day count and go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston