Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 7,064 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just moved to the Boston area and have been considering a condo in Newton Centre? Just wanted some opinions about "recession proof" areas. There are certainly larger and better condos in areas such as Watertown and Waltham. However, some of these condos are not in the best location.

Is buying a unit in Newton Centre a safer bet compared to other areas?

Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 04:42 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
Newton is better than Waltham and probably Watertown.

If you're looking for recession proof condo... consider Brookline or Back Bay Boston.

However, at this time renting is more attractive than buying...
http://www.cepr.net/documents/public...ty_2008_05.pdf

However, if you can buy a condo @15X of yearly rental, I'd say go for it.

Math is so bias towards renting... paying $400 condo fee, $500 in tax, when you can rent for $2K/mo... I don't know how Condo can sell for $400-800K.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:38 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times
Smarty - My husband just brought that same article home!

The thing is that real estate is so local...it seems like it's about what's happening on your street, in your school district, etc as much as in the city overall. And since in more prestigious areas you pay more to begin with, are they always a better investment? What if the less pricey areas have already fallen quite a bit and Newton Centre hasn't yet?

OP, you might want to check out the forums at Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Market Analysis

good luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:31 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
The thing is that real estate is so local...it seems like it's about what's happening on your street, in your school district, etc as much as in the city overall. And since in more prestigious areas you pay more to begin with, are they always a better investment? What if the less pricey areas have already fallen quite a bit and Newton Centre hasn't yet?

Yes. RE is local. However, it should not matter as the rent to purchase price ratio would take care of that in any area. For example, if Newton centre is more expensive to buy, it should also be more expensive to rent. What is unreasonable is when you buy a $400K condo and can only rent it for $2K/mo. It does not even cover mortgage with a 20% down. Rent tracks much better with income.

I find interesting... more people want to move to a prestigious area. The RE prices alway go up first in those areas/towns after a dip. Hence, they are usually last to drop and first to recover. Always buy at low end price range of a town.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:11 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
I'd like to add that better areas tend to have less volatility, meaning that they don't go down as much but then that also means that can't go up as much, either. If you're looking for something safe for your money, Newton is probably a good bet. If you're looking to make a killing in the real estate market without significant improvements, then Newton probably won't be the place. Just look at the % splits in home price in Waltham vs. Newton on Zillow. For 1 year splits (i.e. % change over the last year) Newton beats Middlesex and MA, but for 10 year splits (i.e. % change over 10 years) Newton lags behind both.

You should figure out where you want to live and move from there. Newton is definitely a safer bet, but that safety does come at the definite cost of offering a smaller possible payoff. When it comes to finding a place live, I think it ultimately comes down to the ultimate piece of advice: pick somewhere you'd like to live.

I think Smarty's last piece of advice is especially good, though. You are better off at the low end of a town (or city).

Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
Brookline. period.

edit:just make sure you're not really close to "High St." and you will never have to worry. I like High Street, but for property value reasons I would stay away.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
check out the J.P. area also for good deals. It is near Boston down town and does
have alot of perks. The pond, good transportation, a plus with gas. Arlington also may be a choice near waltham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston