Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 23,191 times

Advertisements

As someone moving to Boston from another state, where can I go to find a job? I have looked on craigslist, monster, careerbuilder....all of the typical webistes but have had no luck.

I am an experienced professional with a great background , lots of community voluteering, good education....and I just don't understand why it is so hard to get an interview...what am I doing wrong?

Do I need to know the right people?
Do I need to look in different places?
Should I do Temp. jobs?
Where do I go?

It is scary to think that someone working in non-profit/community development can't get a job interview in Boston!

Any suggestions would we great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
I'm not sure what field your looking in, but with the current fear of recession combined with the fact many jobs have moved from the northeast area, it can be difficult to get a job. You also have to remember that the Boston area has lots of college graduates all fighting for some of the same jobs, so it can be difficult.

Networking is still the best way to go if you can. Look outside of Boston as many companies have moved outside the city limits and some to New Hampshire to cut business expenses. You are probably at a disadvantage being from out of state also, when there doesn't seem to be enough jobs for the people in the surrounding area.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:18 PM

284 posts, read 1,167,123 times
Are you open to working in the hospitals? They are always hiring, pay well, and provide nice benefits even for office jobs.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiJP View Post
Are you open to working in the hospitals? They are always hiring, pay well, and provide nice benefits even for office jobs.
I agree with Remi. The hospitals are not going out of business in Boston. Neither are the universities. Two good places to start.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 AM

230 posts, read 1,142,251 times
oh lord honey, I feel your pain! There are a few things. One, a lot of people won't even look at you without a Boston address. It's a beast, and completely unfair, but it's the truth. You'll be hard pressed to get an interview out of state. Before I moved, I used my aunt's address in Marlborough (about 30 miles outside of Boston). But, since I wasn't actually in Boston, no interviews. It was rough. It's easier if you are in finance (my husband is in portfolio analysis and got a job at a top company through a phone interview. imagine that huh?), but non-profit is rough. Especially in Boston.

So. . . here's the thing about Boston. Everyone (and I mean this as a general thing for the applicant pool) is educated and bright. I've found that. Non-profit is a very specific niche and it is very difficult to get into in Boston. Non-profits are really big here. Popular, powerful, etc. People look up to non-profits a lot in Boston so getting a job in non-profit here is pretty difficult. There are major universities here and a lot of employers try to keep it local when hiring. Not only that, if you aren't from a snowy place, a lot of Bostonians think that you might head for the hills during the first winter (it's really stupid. But honestly, because I came from CA I got asked this question by everyone. I had to kindly explain that I moved from CA. I was not raised there. I was raised in a place that had plenty of snow. thank you. *rolls eyes* so annoying).

So. . . what can you do? If you are non-profit, screw craigslist and monster. They are ridiculously annoying most of the time. CG is ok. . .it just depends. You want non-profit? Sign yourself up on idealist.org and get daily updated. Then search on idealist.org for companies and shotgun your resume (send it out with the subject: re:job opportunities). Just tell them who you are, where you have a degree from, etc. I sent my resume out to at least 20 companies here in Boston proper and Cambridge (oh yeah. . . Cambridge is really close to Boston and there are a lot of non-profits. So look there too).

Temp agencies can be good. But it depends.

What exactly are you looking for? Specific field (LGBT, Legal, Medical, Rape/Assault/Domestic Violence, Education, Outreach, etc)? Position (admin, fundraising and grant writing, (para)legal or attorney, specific medical position, development, etc). I work at a big non-profit. Maybe I can think of things that I saw that were open when I was looking.

Good luck! Seriously. . it's a bear.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 AM

50 posts, read 229,017 times
I'm stuck in the same situation. I'm looking for a job as a Civil Engineer in the Boston area. Although I've found a few places that are hiring (typically looking for more experience), I've been turned down, even though I have over 2 years in the industry, a good degree, and EIT certification. I'm afraid once they see the out-of-state address, my resume gets pushed to the side. I'm half way contemplating up and moving without a job. It's a real bummer. Anyone know any firms hiring?

Old 07-18-2008, 12:53 PM

7 posts, read 23,191 times
OMG...wannagohome..you are awesome..that is some of the best information and advice...thanks for taking the time to talk about that.

I currently work for a Chamber of Commerce...my primary focus is Community/Small Business Development arm of the Chamber in the form of a CDFI(Community Development Financial Institution)...I run programs focusing on increasing Diversity Awareness, downtown revitalization, improving College/University student relations with downtown businesses, TONS of outreach and realationship building, grant writing, small business financing and training... I do a lot of different things...BUT am completely open to doing something, acutally anything if it is a job. I fear I am going to do the move before the job just like johnny_quest mentioned....scary as that thought is....I need that Boston address...all the while praying I have enough savings to pay for rent!

Criagslist is not easy...there isn't any way to follow up with anyone once you send your resume..god only knows how many others are shooting their resumes out and I am sure it's plenty! Thanks for the suggestions with idealist.org.

As for snow, as you can tell by my name, I LOVE the stuff...I am from Pennsylvania so I am used to it.

THANKS again....you have been extremely helpful.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,008 times
Your doing everything the right way... there just aren't any jobs.... I'm having the same luck, we're overqualified for the jobs in this area (I'm in Western MA/Northampton/Amherst).

I've answered several online job site applications...either they send a reply your not the right candidate not explaining why your not the right applicant or I don't get a reply at all.

Just keep trying. Keep the faith!
Beth

Old 07-23-2008, 07:06 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,251 times
hey there! Glad I could help. From one non-profit person to the other. It's what we're all about anyhow. I've found a trick with craigslist. A lot of the time employers post the same ads on craigslist that they do on careerbuilder, idealist or their own websites. I might find some key information in the ad and then google it to try and find the company website. For example: If it says something along the lines of "great non-profit near central square in cambridge dealing with families" or and ad for "director of operations," then i'll look on idealist in cambridge with a keyword of "families" or "director of operations." Then i'll see who has an opening and see if the ads match the one on craigslist. That way you can say that you saw their ad on idealist, or on their website. I think this looks better than saying you saw it on craigslist. Idealist shows that you are really into the non-profit scene. Does that make sense?? That way you can email someone a little more directly.

I moved here without a job, but I'm lucky because I'm married, we had substantial savings, and he already had a job lined up. So, I'm not really one to speak. But, make sure you save quite a bit because it took me 6 weeks to get into this position and I really did make it my full time job to look. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:29 AM

32 posts, read 74,201 times
Work with a recruiter. There's one on every corner in downtown Boston. They'll at least get you placed temp or temp to perm. That's how a lot of folks here end up in the jobs they are in, they often start out as a temp or contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston