Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,342 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at an apt. in JP on Boylston St. west of the StonyBrook T station, maybe halfway from the T to Columbus. What's this part of the neighborhood like? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:23 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
JP's Boylston St runs from Washington St, east of the Orange Line, up to Centre St. Columbus Ave intersects with Washington in Egleston Square, where Seaver St enters from the east. So I'm a tad bit confused as to your potential address. "Toward Columbus" would be east of Stony Brook Station. Turning westward would take you in the direction of Centre.

There's been gentrification in JP at a rapid clip for the past 25 years or so. But sketchiness lingers most toward Washington St from the train line. Definitely steer as clear of Egleston and Jackson Squares as you can, unless you're an "urban pioneer" with sharp street sense. The section on the Centre St side has taken a noticeable and lasting turn for the better. For a couple of years, I was in a singing group which met at the Central Congregational Church just up the hill from the Green St stop. This entailed walking to either the Orange Line or Centre St after 10 or so at night. I "watched my back" if catching the train, but strolled toward Centre St without a care.

The same clash of "vibes" persists in JP today. Most of what lies on the "pond side" of Centre St carries a tranquil suburban feel. Between Centre and the rapid transit line, long-since "restored" blocks bump up against areas in mid-restoration or still "with potential." Beyond the train tracks, it's the most decidedly "mixed bag" demographically and far from the safest part of town.

As a former, four-year resident of that area (until I ran out of space, lol) I still carry a torch for JP. But my ardor's cooled as I've seen too much yuppification and cutesiness moving in, with national-chain stores, all along Centre St. The former Flanagan's grocery store is now a CVS. A onetime, and longtime, watering hole is now an upscale pub. Etc etc. Rent hikes are also displacing numerous residents who stayed through the hard times of the '60s through the '80s, making the neighborhood a victim of its own success. More "real" (and less costly) parts of southern/southwestern Boston that I like include Dorchester Lower Mills and Roslindale. You can get more living space for less money, and have a better chance of meeting genuine neighbors as opposed to well-heeled college students (or young couples who'll be calling the realtor when their firstborn nears kindergarten age if they didn't when the missus first started to "show.")

Old 07-31-2008, 08:41 AM

20 posts, read 91,922 times
Default Jamaica Plain is awesome.

Anywhere on Boylston Northwest of Stony Brook is great. Fantastic location to enjoy all the benefits of JP. You'll enjoy visiting City Feed & Supply on your way to the train.

I don't agree with goyguy's assessment of the area and how it has changed. In my opinion, JP has gone thru a very gentle gentrification and has stayed very diverse. Our neighborhood associations insure this. BTW - I'll take "cutsie" boutiques and bakeries over gun shots and larceny any day. I live in the Brewery District which is still transitioning - and it's a little troublesome sometimes, but I still love it here. Wouldn't live anywhere else in Boston.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-31-2008 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston