U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 4,080 times
Default FL to Boston relocation input

I am seriously considering a job offer up in Boston and have done lots of research on where to live and all of the basics. My questions are more along personal experiences.

A little about me - I'm 30 and single, and I've never lived outside of Florida. I'm in the finance industry and plan on living close to downtown. I actually have a friend moving as well so that should help.

1) Being single is this a tough city to meet new friends and women ? I have 0 problems in Florida.

2) How bad are the winters really ? I know they will kill me being from islands my entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:56 PM

118 posts, read 303,489 times
honestly the snow isnt to bad but then again i was born and raised in boston but now residing in orlando, fl. it will be cold from like november till like march. but there are still plenty of things to do. ppl talk about how theres not enough to do in boston compared to nyc but nyc is alot bigger and also i think its what u make of it is what counts. also if u like to travel, try nyc or montreal, canada.
but forbes list voted boston as one of the best places for singles/young professionals and places to get wealthy or better off than other cities.
also there will be alotta ppl sayin that boston ppl are reserved, yes its true but i think that is leaning more towards males than females. but hey if u got game, sense of humor and confidence i dont think u'll have a problem. boston is definatley a great city and if i was not plannin on movin to cali i might move back home. but i'm still considering the move as well.
also check out brookline, i think that u might like the area, its nice, cultured, and has many friendly attractive females there not to mention good dining options and close proximity to downtown boston via train or watever. any questions let me know...
thnx

Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 PM

119 posts, read 112,575 times
There are more women than men living in Boston so I guess the odds are on your side

Old 09-09-2008, 12:55 AM

532 posts, read 577,700 times
mmm, I beg to differ about the snow. It snowed a lot last winter. It really isn't a problem if you live in the city and take public transit, but shoveling a driveway and scraping ice off your car is no fun. Keep in mind it is cold all winter. You will probably not want to be outside for too long, especially coming from a warm place.
In the summer it is beautiful, but humid. Spring and Fall, even though they are short, make up for all that snow.
Another thing you have to keep in mind if you are used to warmth is that heating your place in the winter costs a lot no matter what type of heat you have. I keep my place around 60 degrees and it still costs a fortune.
This summer was mild and lovely, despite frequent rain.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 AM

5 posts, read 4,080 times
I saw most corporate apartments include heating and hot water into their rent, is that a gimmick ?

Looks like for a nice condo its around 1500 a month which isnt bad at all

Old 09-09-2008, 11:57 AM

41 posts, read 220,344 times
it's not unusual for heat/hot water to be included, but it's not like that all the time.

not a gimmick, but a good bonus.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 PM

532 posts, read 577,700 times
If you can get heat included, definitely do it. 1500 sounds really low for Boston proper with heat included. It might not be as nice as you think or could be in a less than desirable area. Just make sure you keep the heating cost in mind if you take a place where you pay your own utilities.
Another thing to think about is a vehicle. If you have a car, you will have a hard time finding parking. If you are going to live downtown and work downtown, you don't need a car at all. It is probably more of a hassle than it is worth. Driving in downtown Boston is as confusing and irritating as you've heard.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 PM

118 posts, read 303,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
mmm, I beg to differ about the snow. It snowed a lot last winter. It really isn't a problem if you live in the city and take public transit, but shoveling a driveway and scraping ice off your car is no fun. Keep in mind it is cold all winter. You will probably not want to be outside for too long, especially coming from a warm place.
In the summer it is beautiful, but humid. Spring and Fall, even though they are short, make up for all that snow.
Another thing you have to keep in mind if you are used to warmth is that heating your place in the winter costs a lot no matter what type of heat you have. I keep my place around 60 degrees and it still costs a fortune.
This summer was mild and lovely, despite frequent rain.

---since he's coming from florida, the humidity wont be a problem just the cold and snow it seems. but hey if uve never seen snow or anything its always fun and u can act like a kid again and go sledding, skiing, boarding or even havin a snowball fight. so much fun.....

Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 PM

5,200 posts, read 8,741,248 times
Both questions in the original post depend a lot on the individual. There was a thread on this forum a couple of months ago in which the OP kind of vented about the trouble he had encountered meeting women in Boston. I've never found this to be especially difficult, but I grew up in the Boston area and may be especially in tune with the social customs in the area, so that it's second nature for me to know how to engage socially in Boston. I'm sure there are a lot of individual differences in how quickly someone new to a place adapts to the subtle differences in social customs in various cities, and in the degree to which each person has a kind of universally appealing personality that can transcend differences in local culture. In general, women in Boston may be a bit more reserved than in some other cities, maybe less likely to approach a guy and make the first move. On the other hand, if you are on the young side, you'll have the chance to meet a lot of college girls from all over, who will tend to speak the universal language of youth.

The weather is a matter of individual perception as well. Some people moving from warm climates will adapt more quickly than others. Be aware that Boston's winters are likely to seem pretty cold if you've spent your whole life in Florida, and you might especially feel that winter drags on for way too long. On the other hand, this area really is not the far and frozen north, where people travel around by sled with their teams of trusty huskies. It's just a place with a four-season climate that is skewed a little more heavily toward winter than summer. And who knows? You might enjoy the experience of something new and different. It's not an easy question to answer, though, because it's all about how you as an individual react, and that will vary from person to person.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:23 PM

77 posts, read 189,604 times
Acclimating to the cold isn't easy, your first year will be a bit rough I broke out my winter jacket in late September for the evenings while some natives were still in shorts! Snow is beautiful really so I consider that a selling point for up North, seriously winter without it would stink now.
After that first year is under your belt it will get much easier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston