Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 11:24 PM

5 posts, read 25,638 times

Advertisements

Any leads on how best to find a rental in Lexington? I am a single female, early 30's, considering a move to Boston for a tech job near Newton. Being from Vegas, I am incredibly culture-starved, so I want a woodsy, peaceful, historic area to live in (I figure I could live large downtown every few weekends).

So Lexington popped into my semi-informed head. Any other areas (zip codes, if possible) I may want to look into? My ideal place is a nice duplex,triplex,etc. in an older building. I could pay up to 2K/month (rent + utilities), I think. BTW, what is the deal with parking? Even in suburban markets, how come so few places have covered parking? Won't my car rust out??

Thanks if you can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 12:00 AM

4,883 posts, read 13,765,004 times
There are a few apartment complexes in Lexington, but not many. Far more options exist in neighboring Waltham and Arlington. You'd find everything from roomy duplexes to high-rise (relatively speaking for suburbia - up to eight stories) "brick box" buildings - in Arlington - to large apartment/townhouse clusters. For tranquil surroundings, a good "community" to investigate is the Charles River Apartments in Waltham. They're located on South St, just across the commuter-rail tracks from Brandeis University and along the river for which they're named. The four-unit brick buildings aren't new, but they're fastidiously maintained and have nice balconies or patios along with good room layouts. Shade is abundant, with lots of birds drawn to the trees. Another bird attracted to the environment there is the Canada goose, so watch where you walk - lol! From there, you can scoot to Newton by car "in no time flat."
Arlington is more suburban than "woodsy," but quite a few side streets off Mass. Ave are quiet enough for kids to play in them - not that 21st Century kids do that much. Expansive duplex houses are there by the dozens, throughout the town. You can live in close proximity to mass transit and major highways, yet be in a community that "rolls up the sidewalks" by 9 PM. My "featured" apartment complexes for you in that vicinity are the large new "Legacy" buildings which front on Mass. Ave and back up to the "rail trail" near Arlington Center, and the '60s brick boxes nearby which look onto Spy Pond.
Whether in Arlington or Waltham, you'll have easy access to an old-fashioned downtown with lots o' shopping opportunities along with all sorts of restaurants. At last count, there were 5 Indian-cuisine restaurants on Waltham's Moody St, while Punjab in Arlington (the only one thereabouts) is my current local favorite. Italian? Thai? Can do, in both places. Microbrewery with pub grub, Irish tavern, Central American food? Waltham has the market cornered in those three categories. But Arlington has Flora, and Prose, two destination eateries for "creative American" dishes. For meals at home, each town has its branches of local chain supermarkets as well as "ethnic" grocery stores.
For a really big night out, you don't have to go all the way to downtown Boston - not with all that Cambridge and Somerville offer. Arlington abuts both those cities, and Waltham is a short drive or bus ride from Cambridge.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 AM

17 posts, read 59,280 times
I live in Lexington. Agree that there are not many complexes renting. While Lexington is suburban, mind you there are 30,000 bodies sleeping here each night. Only you can decide how dense the population is for your taste. The apartment complex on Worthen road comes to mind. Duplexes or Triple-deckers? For the most part not in Lex. This is primarily single-family.

You can find apartments advertised in the lexington newspaper (wickedlocal.com, search for lexington) or join the Lexington yahoo group and ask the question there.

Commute to Newton is OK via 128/95 if you leave by 7AM. I can get to Riverside T station (Grove St.) in 16 minutes at 7AM. It can be much more challenging until 830 or 9. All it takes is a little rain or an accident to ruin your day. I've gone to Newton (I go there a lot) down through Waltham, and it can take 45 minutes going local roads during rush hour.

Woodsy? I'd give that to Concord. There are several apartment complexes there located close to the commuter rail. Waltham and Arlington are not my idea of leafy burbs.

Historic, I'd give that to Lexington or Concord.

Covered parking in the burbs? Historical mostly. Homes built from the 40s onward have garages. Apartments almost never have, guess they are being cheap, or trying to appeal to zoning gods. Cars haven't rusted out since the 1970s-80s when they finally got the materials correct.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 AM

376 posts, read 1,804,715 times
I've been gone from MA a long time now, but if you are going to be working in Newton, perhaps you would want to check out Wellesley, Dover area, even as far west as Wrentham. Sounds like this area might fit your needs. I guess it would be considered Metrowest area now? Peaceful, woodsy -- the historic stuff you will run into all over New England.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 AM

6 posts, read 20,077 times
Depending on were in Newton your job is going to be, you might be better off being west or even south of Newton. Driving 128 in rash hour is no fun, so I would not recommend going closer to Boston. Some other options are Weston, Sudbury, Needham. These town have pockets of apt complexes as well. Check out the usual places like Craigslist and SavvyRent about what's for rent and how much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston