U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,689 times

Advertisements

I live near JFK/UMass and I attend BU (yeah, I know, but there was seriously nothing close in my price range when I needed a place). I'd love to be able to avoid the Green Line on nice days, so I was wondering if there's a route I can bike. I'm female, would only be biking during daylight hours and would like to avoid being stabbed or run over. Mass Ave is out for at least one of those reasons. Is there a way I can do it, or is this a pipedream?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,374,743 times
I would not recommend biking to BU from Dorchester. Besides the safety concerns, it will be tough to be on the road during winter and the snow days. Going cross town on a bike is doable but not recommended.

Not to second guess your decision but I see some pretty inexpensive apartments (shared) in Allston-Brighton and Cambridge that would be so much closer to BU. Of course I am assuming that you don't have any special needs/preferences.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:48 PM

103 posts, read 336,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I would not recommend biking to BU from Dorchester. Besides the safety concerns, it will be tough to be on the road during winter and the snow days. Going cross town on a bike is doable but not recommended.
With all due respect, I strongly disagree. If a bike isn't intended for cross town commutes, what is it for? Wheelies out front of the house?

I ride everywhere. Work everyday. Beers over in Allston or Cambridge. Fenway. I ride to my folks house in Saugus once every couple weeks. I've even gone as far as Devereux Beach in Marblehead a few times.

Ride your bike. It's what it's for.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,374,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston mark View Post
With all due respect, I strongly disagree. If a bike isn't intended for cross town commutes, what is it for? Wheelies out front of the house?

I ride everywhere. Work everyday. Beers over in Allston or Cambridge. Fenway. I ride to my folks house in Saugus once every couple weeks. I've even gone as far as Devereux Beach in Marblehead a few times.

Ride your bike. It's what it's for.
Let me elaborate what I meant: Cross town commutes with regard to safety. In the winter, we less day light hours and fastest bike route from JFK to BU involves going through some not so safe areas (Roxbury). Since she is concerned about the safety and I brought up the winter weather to give the full picture. Riding during Boston winters can be done, but its not the best way to travel.

Not hating on the bikers, I am one myself

Old 09-27-2008, 09:09 AM

4,842 posts, read 12,504,500 times
All of the "CT" (Crosstown) buses have front-mounted bike racks. The CT3 runs from Andrew Square to the Longwood Medical Area. So, you could two-wheel up Dot Ave...rack the bike at Andrew...ride the bus to Brookline Ave...then it's less than a mile to campus.

You might want to visit mbta.com to find out more about which routes feature buses with bike racks. Could be that "the 8," which goes from JFK/UMass right to Kenmore Square, has 'em too.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 PM

2,954 posts, read 11,645,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
All of the "CT" (Crosstown) buses have front-mounted bike racks. The CT3 runs from Andrew Square to the Longwood Medical Area. So, you could two-wheel up Dot Ave...rack the bike at Andrew...ride the bus to Brookline Ave...then it's less than a mile to campus.

You might want to visit mbta.com to find out more about which routes feature buses with bike racks. Could be that "the 8," which goes from JFK/UMass right to Kenmore Square, has 'em too.
Don't think the 8 has bike racks, but it is an alternative to riding the bike.

I ride my bike all over the place in the summer but in the winter, I agree with those who said that snow, cold, ice, and a lot more darkness make it less hospitable (even if you don't feel the cold as much when you're pedaling)

Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 AM

103 posts, read 336,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Not hating on the bikers, I am one myself
No worries. I didn't suspect there was any bicycle hate. Just don't want to discourage anyone either. Boston isn't exactly 'bicycle friendly', but it can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston