Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:39 PM

283 posts, read 989,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashgiftingcabbie View Post
I remember....Big Brother Bob Emory......Rex Trailer.....enjoying the Christmas lights on the Boston Common with my grandfather........Downtown crossing....taking the Green Line....and yes, Shelby Scott and Don Kent......also Community Auditions with Dave Maynard..... listening to Jerry Williams on the radio....and thinking how brave my dad was to navigate Storrow Drive after we just saw the Red Sox and Frank Malzone, Pete Runnels and Chuck Shilling.
Community Auditions - the first "Amercan Idol"?
Community Auditions Star(t)s Tonight - Viewer Discretion - The Boston Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
Enchanted Village?????? Years and years ago at Jordan Marsh. Good old days when Santa actually looked like Santa.
The Ice Capades and Follies

Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
How about you recall Carleton Fisk with his big wave with the 75 home run, and going to see
the enchanted village at Jordan 's each year when a whole floor had trains and dolls. Also the monkey
grinder who was right near the entrance to the MTA, or T.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:31 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
Why yes - yes you are less of a Bostonian if you don't know SOME of these things.. especially ONE out of 101! (Nevah been "down the CAPE?" Good God, man.. You're not a Bostonian at all! )
and for you ex-pats, bonus points if you know:
~Willie Whistle
~The Big Mattress
~Don Kent

EDIT: I just counted, there are exactly SEVEN out of 101 that are sports-related - that leaves 94 for you, babycakes.

Are you insinuating that these jokes only apply to the "lower classes"..? Or that one must be Italian to know someone named "Vinny", or Irish to know someone named "Murphy"? These are the 2 predominant ethnic groups in Boston, which is what makes it funny(to those with a sense of humor at any rate). And thanks for trying to dump on what was intended to be a funny, nostalgic thread for BOSTONIANS wherever they may live now. Guess what: IT DIDN'T WORK
I thought it was funny and totally true and on point!
I was concieved in Jamaica Plain, Boston but we had to move out cuz the cops kept harassing my Mom after my father got locked up and went to jail. So we moved to NYC and I been here ever since.
I can relate to most of these 101 reasons cuz my Grandma was a lifetime resident of Jamaica Plain. Plus my GF is from Wakefield and when I go back to her hometown with her her family is definately like the 101.
I sent her family the list and they loved it!
I went to Kelly's Roast Beef in revere last time I was there and loved it, not at 2am tho,
The people that don't get this are probably from out of town originally or the "proper Bostonian" type that gentrified the city and destroyed the historical culture of Boston.
The old school real people know whats up. Not those yuppy that claim the city as theirs. Its the people that understand the 101 things that built Boston and make it work everyday. So people show some RESPECT!

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-01-2008 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: language

Old 11-03-2008, 10:14 AM

283 posts, read 989,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I thought it was funny and totally true and on point!
I was concieved in Jamaica Plain, Boston but we had to move out cuz the cops kept harassing my Mom after my father got locked up and went to jail. So we moved to NYC and I been here ever since.
I can relate to most of these 101 reasons cuz my Grandma was a lifetime resident of Jamaica Plain. Plus my GF is from Wakefield and when I go back to her hometown with her her family is definately like the 101.
I sent her family the list and they loved it!
I went to Kelly's Roast Beef in revere last time I was there and loved it, not at 2am tho,
The people that don't get this are probably from out of town originally or the "proper Bostonian" type that gentrified the city and destroyed the historical culture of Boston.
The old school real people know whats up. Not those yuppy that claim the city as theirs. Its the people that understand the 101 things that built Boston and make it work everyday. So people show some RESPECT!
Nicely put, Joe!
POP QUIZ for those that post here and claim to be a Bostonian: ( )
(And no GOOGLING allowed)
1) Whose profile can be seen in blue on the "gas tank"?
2) What do you call a place that sells live lobster?
3) What's the green stuff INSIDE a lobster called..?
4) Where is the "Jug Handle"?
5) Who coached the Bruins(that's a hockey team ) to their last Stanley Cup championship, and when?
6) What's the difference between a "cherrystone" and a "littleneck"?

Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
Nicely put, Joe!
POP QUIZ for those that post here and claim to be a Bostonian: ( )
(And no GOOGLING allowed)
1) Whose profile can be seen in blue on the "gas tank"?
2) What do you call a place that sells live lobster?
3) What's the green stuff INSIDE a lobster called..?
4) Where is the "Jug Handle"?
5) Who coached the Bruins(that's a hockey team ) to their last Stanley Cup championship, and when?
6) What's the difference between a "cherrystone" and a "littleneck"?
I've got one more to add;
7) What do you call those things you put on ice cream? (hint: everyone else calls them sprinkles, real bostonians call them,,,)

Last edited by Joe Bama!; 11-03-2008 at 12:50 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 12:20 PM

184 posts, read 658,433 times
I would add: If you know how to get back onto Storrow Drive NORTH (from Kenmore Sq.), then you're from Boston.

If you don't expect Fenway PAHK to take up 20 acres, without being surprised, then you're from Boston.

If you don't have to navigate by using the Prudential or Hancock Bldg., you MIGHT be from Boston.

If your favorite restaurant is NOT Durgin Park or Regina's Pizza (because they're on the tourist maps),

If you think anything west of "Wistah" is wasteland (lol!)

If you've never vacationed anywhere BUT The Cape (unless you're loaded),

If you Say "Bahth" and not "Bath",

If you can figure out the hieroglyphs on the "T",

If you remember what Mark Wahlberg's real name is,

If you can "Forgive" Whitey Bulger, (for he knew not what he did, kind of),

IF you don't dream about meeting Matt Damon....

If you're still wicked pissed that UMass, the state University, is in AMHERST and NOT BOSTON...

Then you MIGHT be from Bawston!

Last edited by VlyRoadKid; 11-03-2008 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Adding more detail.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:07 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
CrazyWorld, I think you're thinking of Uncle Gus, his show was recorded up here in Manchester NH at the WMUR studio, but we saw it down in Haverhill where I grew up

Now to answer a few Q's....
Jimmies, Tomalley, a lobster pound?

And The Big Mattress, wasn't that "Chuck" at BCN? Carter Allen, Mark Parenteau, Eodipus, etc.... Anyone remember WCOZ? Another radio station, heard in the Merrimack Valley,

Going back a few more years, OMG Dale Dorman at WRKO playing the hits of that time. Some really LAME music if I remember right, Kung Fu Fighting, etc... I don't really remember him doing Creature Feature, but do remember something of him of Channel 56.

This is a GREAT thread BTW, thanks for the great memories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Funny Casey....I was the only kid there in a party dress on Bozo. My cousin was on Major Mudd. Wasn't it Big Brother???? Not sure but we weren't allowed to watch it because when the guy was still on the air he was heard saying "now get these little bast**ds outta here".

We both bought our rings also at the Jeweler's Building. In the 70's the guy's name was Herb Shuster. We did get good buys though.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I've got one more to add;
7) What do you call those things you put on ice cream? (hint: everyone else calls them sprinkles, real bostonians call them,,,)
Sprinkles? You mean those rainbow things the kids like? I like jimmies instead...

Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 PM

16 posts, read 83,677 times
101 stereotypes is what it sounds like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston