Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 8,876 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I just got a job close to Hide Park train station and I’m currently looking for area to live. I’m looking for preferably urban type of living. With places to go shop, eat, have fun, meet young people. I want have a feel of a city. I’m young professional working in design and art field and like sports. I want to commute either by train or bar car but not longer then half hour. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 12:15 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakubjaniga View Post
Hi,
I just got a job close to Hide Park train station and I’m currently looking for area to live. I’m looking for preferably urban type of living. With places to go shop, eat, have fun, meet young people. I want have a feel of a city. I’m young professional working in design and art field and like sports. I want to commute either by train or bar car but not longer then half hour. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.
Well you can't do better than Boston for that. Hyde Park Station is on The Providence Line. You can live anywhere between South Station & HP station. IF you want urban feel, you should live right in downtown, most practically within easy walking distance to South or Back Bay Station. Back Bay, South End, Lower Roxbury, Fenway, Bay Village, Downtown, Even South Bay is a reasonable walk to South Station. And if you're willing to hop a short Green or Orange line to Copley/Back Bay station, all those other option open up.

My advice is this though. You want youth and city. Back Bay is the heart of that. Pony up a few extra bucks, live in BB for your first year, get to know Boston real well, then decide where you really want to be. You'll have a good time. All the best pubs and restaurants are in BB or easy walking (stumbling) distance.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 8,876 times
Thank you very much for the response,
I guess I didn’t mention one thing. I have kids that live in Providence and I would like to be able to stay closer to them. Get out of town easier by car on Friday afternoon. What I’m trying to say is that I was looking at places like Dedham, Milton, West Roxbury, Quincy, Roslindale and Jamaica Plain. These where some recommended places. I looked at some of them on internet but couldn’t get feel what they are. I’m afraid that these places are not going to give me a feel (of a vibrant city) that I’m looking for. Any additional thoughts?
Thanks so much.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:18 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
of the places you listed, JP is the most vibrant. West Roxbury is the most suburban Boston neighborhood and is basically dead. ditto Dedham, though it has more traffic due to the commercial strip and malls. don't know much about Milton, but it is highly residential, mostly middle class and up. can't give any advice about Quincy, only that it may be hard to get to Hyde Park from there via the T. Roslindale is changing a lot and new businesses are going in and it's a nice place to live, but I'm not sure if I would call it "vibrant" (though you'll be close enough to more vibrant areas)

Old 10-05-2008, 12:34 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Eevee is right JP is the best of the lot there, but if you want vibrant, do Back Bay. As I said, if you are close to Back Bay Station, you can hop on the commuter rail to Providence anytime. By living in BB, you add an extra 10 minutes to your ride on the commuter rail to get to PVD. Every amenity a city could ever offer is right there at your doorstop, and your kids will love to come visit you there - more so than Milton. If you can't afford BB, I'd try Fenway or the South End.

Here's some pix of Back Bay. I'm sure this is the urban vibe you are looking for:

Photo Thread: Back Bay, Beacon, Downtown, Chinatown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston