Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:43 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,664 times

Advertisements

We'll be visiting Boston for the first time and wanted to know what things are a MUST to do or see, and which things are a waste of time/money.

We are staying at the Radisson, which is near the 90 and 93. So please tell me if there are any great things in that area (walking distance would be excellent).

I have planned to do a trolley tour, walk the Freedom Trail, possibly the Duck Tour. Do you know anything about these tours?

Also,
Which museums are the best?
What buildings are neat to see?
What parts of town are fun to walk around in?
Are there any great Boardwalk areas? Something along the water with shops, restaurants, etc.
What are the most popular 'must try' restaurants?
What areas should we avoid?
Is the area near our hotel 'safe'?
Is it better to walk places, use public transportation, or drive? We will have a car, should we plan on using it, or is parking & traffic a pain?

Thank you SO MUCH for whatever info you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 03:54 PM

Wow, great reply & wonderful info.

It will just be my son and I visiting, and not until summer. Im just trying to plan ahead

My son will be going to college in the fall, Bucknell in PA. We are going to be visiting the college and then driving to Boston for a few days. Because this is really more of a road trip, we wont have any 'nice clothes', business casual, maybe! so the upscale restaurants you mentioned probably wouldnt work, but they sure look like great places! Anthonys Pier 4 looks yummy, and I am going to put that on our list

As far as museums, I thing an art or science museum would be what we'd enjoy. Something that we can do in half a day or so. I'd like to do two 'things' a day and then kind of explore the town.

I am so happy to hear that our hotel is in a good location. Some of the hotels were very expensive, and the Radisson is one of the more reasonably priced, so I was a little nervous. It has received great reviews on TripAdvisor, so I wasnt too worried about the hotel itself, just the surroundings.

Thank you for the info on the tours, too. Im glad the duck tour is good, it sounds fun! I also think the Freedom Trail might be interesting, do you know anything about that one? Is it something you do on your own, or are there guided tours? Are there any good tours that you'd suggest?

Since there seems to be such good transportation near the hotel, maybe we'll just park the car and find other ways to get around. Thank you very much for the info! If you think of anything else, please share!

You've been a great help

Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Couple more questions

You have been so helpful, thanks!

I have a couple more questions...

Have you been to see 'Old Ironsides'? Where is that located, is it far from where our hotel is? My son wants to go see it.

Those bugs that you spoke about on Plum Island, will they still be there early August? If so, I think we'll pass. We are NOT bug people.. Are there any weird bugs around town, near our hotel?

What, in your opinion, is the best place to get crab and/or clam chowder? I would actually prefer not a fancy place, maybe a 'locals' spot. My son and I both LOVE crablegs!

Thanks again

Old 02-16-2007, 12:39 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,019 times
Smile Seafood & USS Constitution

The place that you'll be right near from the Radisson Hotel is Legal Seafood Restaurant. It's right across the street from the Radisson Hotel as a matter of fact, in that whole block there's a few great restaurants to choose from. Within the block where "Avila's" restaurant is located? Just past that is Legal Seafoods Restaurant. You'll enjoy their seafood, it's wonderful there! You'll LOVE there clam chowder. Try to sit downstairs if you can, it's quite nice. They renovated the restaurant in the last year or two and it's awesome there now, more than it ever was! RELAX! Don't worry about what you have on, there's all walks of life checking out Boston all year round! Don't bother going to Avila's, it's a complete and total rip off. Although there other restaurant, Davio's is WONDERFUL, so if you see that on Arlington St., and you're wondering about Davio's? Try to go there if you can, it's out of this world. We went to Avila's at Christmas time and some of us were a little disappointed in it. Maggiano's Little Italy is a chain from Chicago, but it was adopted by all of us in Boston when it opened, try to check it out, it's fantastic. It's across from the Radisson. If you're in the mood for Italian food, go there, I know your son will LOVE it there because my nieces to this day have it as there favorite restaurant and they went there when they were 9 and 10 years old! Take the MBTA "T" to the USS Constitution if you can OR better yet, take the boat from Rowes Wharf! It's WELL worth it. Your son will LOVE it and so won't YOU. It's also FREE to the public. They have a great tour of the ship and there's also the Museum that you can check out as well and that's FREE too. Definitely go there. You should think about taking the Rowes Wharf Water Shuttle. That way you're getting a little tour of Boston Harbor while you're at it. Go to the MASSPORT website and click on Getting to and From Logan and you'll see one of the modes of transportation is the Water Shuttle. There's a few to choose from now. The best one I think is the Rowes Wharf Water Shuttle. It's all explained on the MASSPORT site. So happy trails and enjoy your visit to Boston.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:54 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,019 times
Johnneycakes, the Bay Tower Room is gone unfortunately. It's been out of 60 State Street for a few years now. I miss it there myself! WHAT a stunning view. NOW it's a private club, guess who has it? It's Boston University that has one of the function rooms, it's a private club called "The Boston University Club and the other Private club is called "The State Room" I believe they're doing a brisk business in the wedding reception department as well as any other function that people might need it for.

Downstairs near the Faneuill Hall area or the back door of 60 State Street is a wonderful restaurant called "Houston's" again, it's a chain, but we adopted them in Boston and it's one fabulous establishment that's STAYING!

One other final place for you to walk to from the Radisson Hotel if you get the chance. Try to walk over from the Radisson to the Four Seasons Hotel. Walk in to the lobby and look to the left. Go over to that Lounge, it's called the "Bristol" Lounge. It's absolutely one of the BEST places for lunch in Boston. You'll enjoy it here. We go here at Christmas time every year, it's a tradition. We always try to get a window table. It's got GREAT burgers in here, so remember that. You can get tea, hot chocolate and there wonderful dessert tray is brought out to you. Try to remember this, make it your "happy hour" that's what we do, later in the afternoon!

Enjoy Boston, have FUN!
P.S. I forgot there's one more thing. When you check in to the Radisson make sure you tell them that you want a room on the 5th floor or HIGHER. They renovated them and they're STUNNING, so make sure you tell them that's where you want to stay! You're going to LOVE this Hotel for the ambiance, the location and it's SO reasonable compared to the others in Boston and you're RIGHT, it gets great reviews on T.A., my favorite site as well!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:56 PM

Thanks to both of you for such wonderful ideas and tips

I have printed them all out and will definitely try to fit in as much as possible

Since Legal Seafood is so close, we'll definitely try that! I read somewhere else about it, sounded yummy.

I did note on our reservation that we wanted a room on a HIGH floor, with a great view - hopefully we'll get that (not that we'll probably be in the room very much, but I figured I'd ask).

Even though our trip is months away, I am getting so excited.

If you think of anything else, please let me know

Old 03-03-2007, 01:13 AM

14 posts, read 86,476 times
Go to a Sox game. IF, and I mean IF, you can even get tickets. Fenway is a blast.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:28 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,064 times
I have planned to do a trolley tour, walk the Freedom Trail, possibly the Duck Tour. Do you know anything about these tours?

Trolley tours can be very good or very sketchy. One includes a harbor cruise for $22. Duck tours are extremely popular. You'll need a reservation.

Which museums are the best?
That depends on what you're looking for. The MFA is the grandaddy of the all. It's about $20 to get in, but it's free on Tuesdays after 5. The ICA, Museum of Science, and Children's Museums are also a good bet. The Old South Meetinghouse is right in Downtown Crossing, and $5 to get in.

What buildings are neat to see?

The Prudential Mall is very expensive, but fun to walk around in. The ICA is brand new and striking. The Stata Center at MIT is very, very, strange. the Harvard Campus is very scenic, and very popular with tourists.

What parts of town are fun to walk around in?

The Back Bay, North End, and parts of the South End.

Are there any great Boardwalk areas? Something along the water with shops, restaurants, etc.

Atlantic Avenue, near the Marriott Long Wharf, has some nice restaurants. the only place I can think of that matches that description is Faniuel Hall.

What are the most popular 'must try' restaurants?
The obvious choice is Legal Seafoods, but there are others. Lots of restaurants have roof decks or patios in the summer. If you're looking for good seafood, check out Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere Beach (about a mile from the Wonderland stop on the Blue Line). Jasper White's Summer Shack (in the Back Bay or Cambridge) is casual and fun for all ages. My rehearsal dinner was there, and everyone had a blast.

What areas should we avoid?
Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan, the tall grass in the Back Bay Fens (unless you're trolling for gay sex), and parts of the South End, especially at night.

Is the area near our hotel 'safe'?
If it's the Radisson I'm thinking of (Downtwon, near South Station), you're right on the edge of Chinatown, which can be very sketchy after dark and on weekends. If you're looking for another hotel, try the Hotel 140 in the Back Bay.

Is it better to walk places, use public transportation, or drive?

Definitely use the public transit. Boston is a walking city, and the roads are paved-over cow paths in some places. The MBTA web site (www.mbta.com) can tell you all about fares and schedules.

If you can't afford to see a Sox game, there's a theatre chain (Showcase Cinemas, I think) that shows Sox games on Thursday nights. Tickets are $10.

I second the Provincetown idea. You can also check out the Boston Harbor Islands. They're served by a ferry that runs on the half hour until 5. Most trips got to George's and Spectacle Islands. I haven't been to Spectacle, but George's is fun. One Caveat- it's very easy to get lost in the fort on George's island. The easiest way to orient yourself is to follow the planes overhead.

if you want to check your e-mail, the Boston Public Library's Copley Branch has "express terminals" that are open to anyone. There's a strictly-enforced 15-minute time limit, enough to check e-mail and get directions.

One fun thing to do with kids is ride the Duck Boats in the Public Garden. Tickets are $3, an it's a nice way to pass the time. The USS Constitution is also fun.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:54 AM

17 posts, read 111,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
Wow, great reply & wonderful info.

It will just be my son and I visiting, and not until summer. Im just trying to plan ahead

My son will be going to college in the fall, Bucknell in PA.

Congratulations! I am a proud graduate of Bucknell, class of 06'. I loved the place dearly and miss it greatly. I wish I were in your son's position right now. If you have any questions about Bucknell, don't hesitate to give me a PM or ask in this thread.

As for Boston, I'd just reiterate what some of the other posters have said. Definitely check out Faniuel Hall, as it is a fun touristy type area. While you're there you could have lunch at Quincy Market, which is an indoor market-type thing with a few dozen different vendors.

I'd recommend the science museum. They have an IMAX theater there, which is always a good time.

The aquarium would be worth checking out if you like looking at penguins and/or fish.

It seems like virtually every restaurant in Boston or on the Cape claims that their clam chowder is "award winning", so it can be a little confusing. I have found that Legal Seafoods' chowder is quite good, so definitely try a cup or a bowl while you're there.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:25 PM

15 posts, read 69,721 times
After reading your post, I am overwhelmed at the amount of information I would love to share with you about this great city...to the point I wouldn't even know where to begin. You could spend 2 weeks there and not run out of things to do and sites to see. The best ones??? That's tough. You said you were going to do a trolley tour...I would recommend that as one of the very FIRST things you do; the trolley will take you on an overview of most of the city so you can get an idea of what is out there, where things are in relation to each other, what things you definitely want to go and check out, and you'll learn some interesting history along the way. DEFINITELY spend an afternoon or evening in the North End, Boston's Little Italy. And go on an empty stomach; have lunch there, explore the markets and shops, and experience some of the BEST Italian food around (someone mentioned Maggiano's which is a Chicago chain--it's good, but not even close to many of the North End neighborhood's smaller, cozy, truly Italian independent restaurants. Then have dessert and cappucino at Mike's Pastry on Hanover Street. And, I kid you not, if you want to experience THE BEST pizza on the planet, go to Boston's oldest pizza joint establishment, which still looks just like it did decades ago, Pizzeria Regina on Prince St. in the North End. As much as you might like toppings, just get the large cheese pizzas, full of the best flavor you can imagine--don't ruin it with toppings--trust me! In the North End you can visit the Old North Church and tour Paul Revere's house. And after an afternoon in the North End, you can walk over to Fanueil Hall, and from there you can walk the waterfront, visit the aquarium, see the site of the Boston Massacre, the Old State House, and the Old Meetinghouse where the Boston Tea Party began. If you do the Freedom Trail, you will experience all the best history Boston has to offer. Someone mentioned the $3 duck boats--they're actually called the Swan Boats and they are in the Public Garden, which is across from Boston Commons. It all has something to do with the story "The Ugly Duckling" being written based on something or other??? The Duck Tour is expensive, as are the trolley tours, but they are more for fun as you have to "quack" along the way and such...it's actually fun, as silly as that may seem. Visit Chinatown during the day, which is next to the theatre district. Far from the cleanest place, but quite interesting. they have a shop in there with nothing but chicken cages, where you can go in, pick a live chicken, and they'll "prepare" it for you to take home. They put it on a scale, wings flapping and all. But HOLD YOUR NOSE for the smell of the place. I know that's a bizarre tidbit, but my kids have never forgotten it! We had to run in and out 3 times trying to hold our nose before we could snap a picture. Consider it an experience. If you can get tickets for a show at the Wang Theatre, you will be utterly impressed with the old interior architecture. It's incredible. And if you or your son like the piano, whether you play or not, visit Steinway on Boylston St. (I'm pretty sure). It's right across from the Public Garden near the intersection of Arlington. They will share with you how the hand crafted pianos are made, and I kid you not, they have a $100,000 grand piano there that one woman played for us, and the sound of the music from this piano brought tears to my eyes, totally unexpectedly I might add. As far as travelling, definitely use the T (subway). Museum of Fine Arts is wonderful, but please, please visit the Isabella Stuart Gardner museum. Look it up online...I lived there for 34 years before ever going, and once I went, I can't even believe I hadn't gone before. It's my 15 year old's favorite museum in Boston. All privately owned paintings, Renoir, Monet, Sargeant, etc. This was once Isabella's house. After you see it, you will really appreciate that you went. It's right down the road from Harvard Medical School, in the Longwood Medical area. I guess I'd better stop here, because I could go on forever! I'd be happy to answer any further questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston