Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,703 times

Advertisements

OK, I've been reading through the threads and although there is alot of advice on here (awesome), I think I still need a bit of help.

I am transferring to an architecture program next fall (2009) and will be moving to Boston. I plan on selling my car as I see no point in having it with the T. I will be 27 and past the "college-bar-heavy drinking" stage. I do like to go out for drinks and dancing. I will be working full time and going to school full time so I will have little time for bs.

I'm looking for an area to get an apartment that is "quiet" (no loud drunk college kids), has some culture to it, good shops and restaurants. Walking distance to stores for groceries, packies, cafes, art supply stores, etc.

I also would like an area that is easily accessible to Newbury St for school and probably work. A friend of mine and I will be looking for a 2 bedroom and hoping to spend $2000 (or less) a month.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 01:12 PM

196 posts, read 992,689 times
Your best bets are probably Brookline or the South End

I live in Brookline now but before that I actually lived about a block away from the Architectural College but I wouldnt reccomend living that close

Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBu View Post
Your best bets are probably Brookline or the South End

I live in Brookline now but before that I actually lived about a block away from the Architectural College but I wouldnt reccomend living that close
Brookline is a good choice but it might be a bit more expensive than you're hoping to pay. Brighton is another possibility. The rents are lower and while there are some college kids along Comm Av. and the B line it's not as bad as Allston. You can pretty much avoid the undergrads in Brighton Center, which has some restaurants and bars. There's an express bus to Copley (parts of the day) and the 57 bus to Kenmore, so it's not so bad to get to Newbury St.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:20 PM

118 posts, read 480,142 times
i would also suggest brookline or maybe cambridge. hope that helps....

Old 10-15-2008, 02:39 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,457 times
Allston Heights north of Comm. Ave, west of Harvard Ave. can be very quiet, as well as inexpensive. You're within walking distance of Coolidge Corner (Brookline), Harvard Sq. (Cambridge). The 66 bus connects the two. All of the basics are met near Harvard Ave. and Comm. There's a Whole Foods within a short walk at Washington and Comm. In the other direction is a Super 88 Asian food store and a super Shaw's next to that.

If you can brave the B Line through BU, it's a direct line to BAC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston