U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 08:12 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,722,078 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me what Somerville is like? I have a son who lives there, and I have only driven past the area in my experiences up there> Any info on the schools, crime, population, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 04:35 PM

74 posts, read 246,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Can someone please tell me what Somerville is like? I have a son who lives there, and I have only driven past the area in my experiences up there> Any info on the schools, crime, population, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi, Somerville in general is not bad! The East side is more like a regular neighborhood! The Central is the business section with nice ethics restaurants, the West Side, border with Cambridge is the area I most like it, with lot of the colleges students and very close to Harvard Square in Cambridge, the only thing I don't like it is the Traffic in this area!. Somerville has also a very large Brazilian and Portuguese Communities. (Good Food)

Old 10-25-2008, 05:37 PM

7,623 posts, read 11,465,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
It hasn't changed any since you asked the last time:

Honest info on Somerville from a concerned father

Search the forum, there's lots of info about Somerville.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-25-2008 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 10-26-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloripaUSA View Post
Hi, Somerville in general is not bad! The East side is more like a regular neighborhood! The Central is the business section with nice ethics restaurants, the West Side, border with Cambridge is the area I most like it, with lot of the colleges students and very close to Harvard Square in Cambridge, the only thing I don't like it is the Traffic in this area!. Somerville has also a very large Brazilian and Portuguese Communities. (Good Food)
How about the Washington ST. area, particularly by the Boys and Girls Club?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:48 AM

4,749 posts, read 11,365,005 times
That immediate area has a raggedy appearance, but the community is stable and on a positive trend. The housing stock is old but well-maintained. On one side you have an "anywhere USA" strip mall anchored by Target and A. C. Moore, on another you have the nicely rebounding Union Square. Three sure signs of gentrification: a veterinary clinic (poor people can't afford pets), a folk-music pub, and an Indian restaurant. Ricky's Flower Market took over a former gas station some years ago and is now a destination for urban gardeners and plant lovers from miles around. Frequent street fairs and "mega yard sales" keep the square lively. When I'm in the area, no matter what the hour - Market Basket's one of the best and cheapest supermarkets around - my street sense is engaged but I don't feel wary or uncomfortable.

The regional transit authority (MBTA) is in the late stages of planning a light-rail line extension which will include a spur route into Union Square. Excitement's building about this, since Davis Square on the other side of the city went from rotten to rockin' almost overnight when a new subway station was built there. If your son owns property where he is, if he can hold onto it for another 5-10 years he'll be able to cash in big time.

Last edited by goyguy; 10-26-2008 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 09:30 AM

416 posts, read 1,506,704 times
Somerville a very safe area. There are some rough pockets around East Somerville. By 'rough pockets', i mean there might be some riff raff on the streets late night, but nothing compared to rough pockets of other cities. There are a lot of young professionals, bars, nice restaurants, etc. There really isn't any edge to Somerville anymore, it's just a nice place to live.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:12 PM

82 posts, read 235,956 times
Poweder house Square by Tufts Univ is gorgous- Davis Square is hopping with activity, and there is such diversity- There is a nice farmers market down there every wednesday- I've lived in Somerville about 4 years, and am very impressed- the old 'Slummerville' nickname is 50 years out of date...It's a good town- like any other place, there are desireable spots and seedy spots- But i've never had problems. I really like the sense of community here- There is good public transporation-I'm near the Red line at Davis Sqaure, and scores of T busses.
A good town!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the responses, that's nice to know. My 8 yr. old son lives there, and I haven't actually been to his home, but have passed Somerville on my way to Cambridge Court (I am in the middle of a custody dispute. The reason I haven't seen his home is because his mother has withheld visitation). I have heard mixed reviews, and have read a few things, but it helps to know from people who actually live there. I just hope it's not rose-colored glasses opinions from people when it is really bad. I have read several good posts though, only a few bad. Thanks for everything.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:31 PM

821 posts, read 830,893 times
I heard it used to be called "Slummerville" back in the 70's and 80's.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:38 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,522,813 times
Frankly you could call the police for crime reports, that is a public record. Bad may turn around.

You need a means of travel to a job, and community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston