Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:15 PM

24 posts, read 67,674 times

Advertisements

What are the chances of it turning into a brockton, lowell, lynn or other not so safe places. I'm pretty sure some of these towns were nice and safe at one time too and no one thought they would get to be the way they are now. What made them this way, were there warning signs and are they really that bad because I have read lots of bad comments and watch the local news. We are planning a move as soon as we sell here and we are setting our search on arlington. There is a nice looking place called the Kentwood on mass ave. and it looks like what we are looking for. We haven't been there yet. On our last trip we saw south boston, cambridge, and jamaica plain but not arlington. You all have said so many nice comments about arlington and that has convinced us to concentrate there and I have not read anything bad about it yet. We are a straight acting gay couple in our 30's and have no kids. We would like a small town atmosphere but be close enough to the city and transportation to enjoy it. Thank you to all for your help or comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 07:17 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
Arlington is not going to go bad. It is Cambridge West/Suburban Pleasantville.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 PM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
The cities you mentioned that "turned bad" were somewhat independent towns that had their own niche industries (which is why they came to be). When the Industry left, so did many of the people and those places fell on hard times.

Arlington is different. It's a mostly residential bedroom community that doesn't run the risk of going "bad" like the other towns you mentioned. In fact, it's more likely to increase in value than decrease anytime soon due to it's close proximity to Boston.

Lowell has also seen marked improvement as has Brockton to a smaller degree. With the possible extension of the blue line into Lynn, it's only a matter of time before Lynn gets better too.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:16 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,723 times
Er, yeah. Arlington is Cambridge-lite, a moneyed yuppie haven that still retains a bit of its townie character. It doesn't border any undesirable areas. It would have a looooong way to fall before it hit anything like Lynn or Brockton. Sheesh!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:23 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda View Post
Er, yeah. Arlington is Cambridge-lite, a moneyed yuppie haven that still retains a bit of its townie character. It doesn't border any undesirable areas. It would have a looooong way to fall before it hit anything like Lynn or Brockton. Sheesh!
True, Arlington has actually improved over the last 10 years or so. It used to be mostly townie/working class.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:31 PM

24 posts, read 67,674 times
Thank You guys, it sounds like Arlington is as good as you have all said it was. Now, does anyone know anything about the Kentwood Condos on Mass Ave., because they look really nice but all the units are selling for the same price, no matter what the square feet or location is and that seems weird to us. Is that a common thing in Boston? Thanks again.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:36 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
I'm familiar with Arlington, have friends there, and visit a lot. Since I already own a place elsewhere and am happy where I am, I don't notice details such as names on apartment/condo buildings or complexes. What's the address of "Kentwood?" As a rule, the higher the number on Mass. Ave the more upscale the area is. There's also a better collection of stores, restaurants, etc in Arlington Center and eastward from there into Cambridge than is true farther up the street, though there's a decent commercial district in Arlington Hts (surrounding the Park Ave intersection.)

Arlington has undergone definite social transformation in the past quarter-century. It's decidedly less blue-collar in income level as well as sensibility. (Not that there aren't open-minded working folks, or closed-minded yuppies, of course not!) When a Methodist minister formally announced to her congregation that her life partner is also female, there was an uproar in town and a mass exodus of church members. But a decent-sized core group stayed on and the publicity drew a larger number of joiners than the number of folks who bailed. First Parish Unitarian follows the grand UU tradition of accepting everybody, lol, and Park Ave Congregational Church in Arlington Hts is "open and affirming" - if being part of a "faith community" is something you're interested in. The public schools, though impacted pretty badly by residents' refusal of property-tax increases, are still fairly well regarded. The high school sponsors one of the oldest and largest Gay/Straight Alliances in the state (and therefore anywhere, lol) which can't help but be a good thing.

There was a time when there was no way I'd consider situating my non-stereotypical (not "straight-acting," thanks) self in Arlington. But that's no longer true. Best o' luck!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:52 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,805 times
Quote:
What's the address of "Kentwood?" As a rule, the higher the number on Mass. Ave the more upscale the area is.
I think Kentwood is 995, so between Arlington Center and Arlington Heights. That's a nice area.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:07 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,240 times
Depends where in Arlington you plan on living. It is too close to Cambridge and Lexington to ever become a Brockton, Lowell or Lynn. Then again those cities you list aren't all crime ridden or unsafe througout the entire city. There's definately some blocks that are completely safe and beautiful.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:21 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz1982 View Post
I think Kentwood is 995, so between Arlington Center and Arlington Heights. That's a nice area.
I grew up three blocks from there. It's a nice area. I wouldn't worry about the neighboorhood falling to blight--my biggest concern would be getting into Boston from there painlessly. It's a lot quicker and easier than from farther-out suburbs, but not as quick as from South Boston or Cambridge.

You can take the bus or drive to Alewife, but the Alewife garage fills up early and just went to $7 a day, and there's Route 2 or Mass Av traffic to contend with. You can save a lot of time on the side streets but there's no bridge over Spy Pond! My dad used to drive to Alewife a couple of days a week and went this way: down Gray St, right on Jason, bear left on Hillsdale at the little island, left on Brunswick, right on Pleasant St, left on Lake St, follow it to either the first or the second entrance to 2 east and exit at Alewife. Like getting around anywhere in Boston it's a lot easier than it sounds once you've done it a couple of times. It takes maybe 10-15 mins tops from the "Kentwood" to Alewife and you avoid most of the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston