U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 38,865 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I plan on visiting Boston this weekend to see relatives in the Walpole area. I need to pick up a rental car to get around, but am not sure what the best option would be, considering traffic patterns, construction, cost, and relative unfamiliarity with the Boston road system.

My plan flights are scheduled such that I would hopefully avoid most rush hour traffic (i.e. Logan --> south, early Friday afternoon, and south --> Logan late Wednesday afternoon?)

What should I do?
- Fly into Logan, rent car at airport
- Fly into logan, take logan express to Braintree, pick up a car at a nearby rental place (and reverse on way back)
- Fly into Logan, get to South Station (how?), take the commuter train somewhere (Braintree, or Randolph or Quincy??), pick up car at nearby rental place?
- any other options?

Advice would be greatly appreciated, as I need to confirm a rental car reservation somewhere in the next 24 hours or so. Ultimately my time is a little more valuable than $, and thus would like to avoid too much hassle, but I also get lost driving in Boston find it a bit stressful.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:24 PM

967 posts, read 4,278,853 times
Actually getting in and out of the airport these days is fairly easy. Even I can do it and I can't stand city driving! Bringing a good GPS device with you will help (although I find mine isn't 100% accurate in the city). I was surprised when I took my Garmin on a recent trip to CA that it worked just fine (and saved me the cost of renting one from the rental car place).

Getting to South Station and then a train seems like more of a hassle than it's worth.

If you opt for renting a car in Braintree I'd just make sure there's a rental car agency within walking distance to the Braintree Logan Express (maybe someone else familiar with that area can chime in here.)

Old 04-14-2009, 02:34 PM

Hmm... I just saw that the T (silver, then red) goes directly from the airport and south to Quincy and Braintree. That option should probably replace the MBTA train from South Station above. Does that make a difference?

Also, is the construction around the airport (I think big dig -related?) finished?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:36 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,797,352 times
If you're renting a car anyway and time is more valuable than money, rent the car at Logan. The chance of getting lost in Boston is significantly reduced now that you don't have to take the Sumner Tunnel into town.

You'll want to follow the signs for I-90 (Ted Williams Tunnel), then while still in the tunnel take the exit for I-93 South (Exit 24 ??). The ramp divides a couple of times, but you just follow the signs for 93 South. Generally you keep to the left.

At Exit 7 on 93 South, bear right to stay on 93 South toward I-95. Don't take Route 3 for Cape Cod.

You get off at Exit 1 for I-95 South/Providence. Walpole is less than 10 minutes away from the interchange.

I'm not sure if there are car rentals near Braintree Logan Express, or in Walpole. For future reference, you can take the Silver Line from Logan direct to South Station, and get a commuter train to Walpole itself.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 PM

548 posts, read 1,771,407 times
A little late but personally I fly into Providence to go up to Norwood. It's easier, the flight is cheaper from where I fly from and I rent a car at the airport.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:06 AM

1,270 posts, read 4,775,688 times
Thumbs up Commuter rail to Walpole

Why not just take the commuter rail to Walpole and have your friends pick you up at the commuter rail station

Just hope the Silver Line to South Station---and then just get the Commuter rail (FRANKLIN) Line from South Station?

Hope this helps :-)

If you needed a car, you could have your friend drive you to Stoughton to pick up a car at HERTZ

Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions... I ended up flying into Boston and renting a car at the airport (thanks to priceline, it wasn't too bad). A little confusing getting out of the airport, but the GPS is an absolute lifesaver *everywhere* in the Boston Metro area for those not superfamiliar with the city. The commuter rail would have been a great idea, except that I was visiting my 80-year old grandmothers and neither drive much. Will look into Providence airport next time, for sure, though. Driving in the city is a PITA if you don't have to be there. Wouldn't it be great if the rental car websites mentioned whether the rental locations were transit accessible?? Phone reps never seem to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston