U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 PM

21 posts, read 58,857 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm relocating to Boston for work and school.

I'm interested in living in Back Bay, Beacon Hill, or Brookline because of their relative safety and access to the T.

Which of the three is the most ethnically diverse? Are there specific areas of Back Bay, Beacon Hill, or Brookline that are ethnically diverse?

Also, I'm 22. Which of these areas has more students? Again, are there areas of each where there are a large number of students?

How can I avoid housing discrimination? I had trouble renting when I was in college. Should I bring my parents or friends when I meet with relators?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 PM

12,844 posts, read 24,492,913 times
All are expensive.
I suspect the most students are in Brookline, especially along the Green Line trains (to get to BU and BC and so on. Brookline is the most diverse, I'm sure.
I assume you're not bringing a car. If you are, parking is impossible in Back Bay and Beacon Hill, and required and expensive in Brookline.
Regarding discrimination, I imagine if there is any, it would be because of your age and/or credit report, not ethnicity. If you're looking for housing shares, there wouldn't be a problem there. If you're looking to live alone, you'll certainly need a hefty amount of money (family help?)
Best wishes. Despite the expense, it's a wonderful area to be 22.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 AM

4 posts, read 7,679 times
Brookline would likely be the most ethnically diverse, although not necessarily a huge population of latinos. Also, more students would be there, and neighboring Allston, than would be in Beacon Hill or Back Bay. Brookline is a great area and it's safe as well. Think about your car situation too. In BB and BH, you can park on the street, but it can be a total pain in the butt. In Brookline, you really can't park on the street overnight, so you'd have to pay for parking most likely.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,800,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christo19 View Post
Also, more students would be there (Brookline), and neighboring Allston, than would be in Beacon Hill or Back Bay.
I'm not so sure about this. While Allston is chock full o' undergrads, the students in Brookline are really only in the northeastern corner of the town (on the side streets off Comm. Av.), and near Cleveland Circle. There are maybe some near Washington Square. But the rest of Brookline, though fun and urban, is not particularly student-oriented.

The more affordable part of the Back Bay, bleeding into Kenmore and the Fenway, has a lot of students due to the proximity of BU, Berklee, NEU, and the colleges along the Fenway/Riverway. There are certainly more students hanging out on Mass Av. and the western end of Newbury St than in Coolidge Corner or Brookline Village.

Beacon Hill also has students. There are Emerson dorms, Fisher students, and some grad students from MIT and Harvard prefer to live there and take the Red Line.

All are expensive and not super-diverse residentially, but the Back Bay in particular is more of a place where people from all over the area congregate, so you'll see a lot of different kinds of people.

Where are you going to school? For a (slightly) more affordable area that has diversity, urban feel, and a young/student vibe, you might want to check out near Central Square in Cambridge. Cambridge is a separate city but practically just as city as Boston. Central is a funky area between two large universities, and even has a quick bus (the 47) to BU. 10 minutes on the Red Line to downtown Boston, which is an easier commute than anything on the overcrowded Green Line.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:14 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,209,357 times
Jamaica Plain should not be overlooked even if the OP did not state it as a choice. It is very diverse and young people oriented with a large Latino population. The OP should check out the area around Hyde Square, Centre Street, and Green Street or around the Stoney Brook T Station. There is more than enough to offer in that neighborhood, access to the T, several beautiful parks (the Arboretum and Southwest Corridor Park/Bikeway), a community center, the oldest public high school in the nation (English High School), and several Cuban, Dominican, and Puerto Rican restaurants and shops. There are not so many college students as young urban professionals and twenty somethings in Jamaica Plain but I am sure the OP will fit right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or