Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 02:19 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,339 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice on homes. We are contemplating an opportunity in Rahynham and wife TBD in Boston.

No children, so schools not an issue. Curious about places to live.
Got a bit info before....

Looking for home on water, (preferably the ocean), price range 400-625K. Condo is ok, but a small home would be nice. Ideally 1500-2000 sq ft. We are young 40's, like to be near shops, cafes, and we travel alot - so reasonable to get into Logan. Wife most likely would need train in, as hers would be a 8-500 job. We will be bringing 2 cars with us and relocating fromm out of State.

Thoughts welcome - I have looked online, and it appears Weymouth may be a better than Hingham bet due to cost and proximity. However, curious about resale, good vs. bad neighborhoods, proximity to things to do, etc.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Your price range for Hingham will find you very limited inventory in any area. Unlike many other South Shore towns, Hingham real estate has not seen the dramatic drop. It's a lovely town with a wonderful downtown area featuring top notch restaurants. It also has the commuter rail and boat very handy for travelling into Boston. I would think it would be a great place for 40 somethings.

Your range is good for Weymouth. I'm not sure about on the ocean though. Even in these tough times, that type of location is coveted.

Can't comment on Quincy but I am sure you will find once again that "on the water" adds substantial cost to any home. In the past, Hough's Neck seemed to be less expensive than areas like Squantum.

Have you thought about Hull? It's not the most convenient location but there is a commuter boat to Boston and you can drive to Hingham for the commuter rail. I would think you could find something very close to the ocean for that price.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,339 times
I am not familiar with Hull....guess the question is, how long of a commute into Boston in the am is it, and how long of a commute by car to Rahynham...open to that if it is is manageable.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:30 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
From Hull to a major highway, you are looking at 20+ minutes so it would not be an easy commute to Raynham. The Boston commute is more palatable as there is a commuter rail and boat available. Hull is an ocean side community where real estate is relatively inexpensive. In the past it was known as a rough area but the real estate boom helped to bring in new homeowners who started to invest in the town.

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:05 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Thumbs up Weymouth

I would suggest Weymouth Around the Webb Park area by the coast.

Commute would be fairly easy
18 south
to Bridgewater
then 104 W
to 138 to Raynham :-)

I would say Weymouth
would be your best choice, and you could take Commuter rail (Greenbush Line) from Weymouth into Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston