U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:36 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,540,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrywriter View Post
I think Philly is friendlier. Both are really great cities for really different reasons. I was impressed with Philly last time I was there.
I agree that's true. But that's a double-edged sword. In Philly when you walk into a bakery they may ask you who you are and how's your family and all that. Or they may tell you you look like a bum - get a haircut. In Boston, you will just just get your muffins and a receipt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM

58 posts, read 163,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
WHERE do you find studios for $850??? Maybe if you share one. Studios in a nice, safe area of the city will run you AT LEAST $900-950 (perhaps $1,000). One bedrooms and two are a bit higher than you listed also.
I would certainly like to thank all of the posters who are contributing to this thread. It is EXACTLY (!!!!!!!!) the discussion I wanted to hear. I right now live in Orlando, FL and have already done the college thing once, but to be short, got useless results. Might as well throw my degree in the trash. I now am considering whether I should move to Boston or Philly to pursue a research education, research career, and a Puerto Rican/ Dominican husband who would enjoy a nice Nigerian girl . It's starting to look like Boston is the most appropriate place to relocate in a couple of years.

However, one HUGE concern I have: these rent prices I see by posters and on the main Boston page seem to me, a Floridian renter, to be beyond through the roof and even outrageous and has my heart racing!!!!! How do you Bostonians afford such an incredibly high rent?!!!!! (Please don't answer by simply saying: "We work.") Or maybe, as it is easy to forget and was mentioned earlier, the rent prices I see are just for central downtown Boston, and don't include outlying metro areas of Boston? I have no desire to live in ANY central downtown city area. Too many inconveniences.
Are wages for an unskilled typical job in Boston much higher than most cities? For instance, how much would a simple McDonald's job or gas station job earn you per hour? If it is this hard to pay rent, I may HAVE to head towards Philadelphia!!
Affording bills is what destroyed my grades in my first college experience.

Also, by the way, how long does it typically take to get from Boston to New York City? I'd like to experience New York nightlife every now and then.

Last edited by Orlando Nigerian; 04-27-2009 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Need to add a thought

Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,338,761 times
Orlando, the rents generally are lower in the suburbs and in outlying sections of the city of Boston. Of course if you get out to areas well away from the city with a fairly low population density, you find a lot of single-family houses, and few rental properties, though there are still a few rentals here and there in those areas. You should be able to find plenty of rentals in suburbs close to Boston, or a medium distance away, with the rents typically being lower than they are in the central city, though still higher than you'd find in many parts of the country.

Some details about what you are looking for would help people here get a better idea about whether Boston would be a good fit for you:

1) What are the rents you've seen listed that seemed outrageous, and how much would you be prepared to pay for housing (rent and utilities)? Would you be open to the possibility of sharing a rental property with a roommate or roommates? Sharing with roommates is the way many young people, and those with modest incomes, make it in Boston.

2) How far away from the central city would you want to live? What kind of area--suburban, sort of urban, sort of rural? Would you need access to public transit? How long a commute could you manage?

3) You said you'd like to return to school. Are you considering Boston because in general the large number of colleges in the area would seem to offer a lot of educational options, or because there are particular schools here that are strong in the field you plan to study? Details on what you plan to study would help people here get an idea of what schools in this area might suit your needs.

Now to address your other questions, I'm not really sure how the pay at McDonald's or in a gas station would compare to similar jobs in other areas. If I'm not mistaken, Massachusetts has a minimum wage above the national average, but I'm not absolutely sure of this. If so, then these jobs would pay better in the Boston area than in other places, but in any case it's tough to make it in this area on minimum wage, though it can be done if you have roommates. Roommates would be pretty much a requirement for affording to live here on a low-paying job, though. One kind of work requiring little training which you might try to find in Boston would be a restaurant job. There are some busy restaurants in neighborhoods where nightlife is centered and in sections that get a lot of tourists, so it's possible to make some good money from tips.

And, in answer to your question about travel to NYC, it's about a four-hour drive, as long as you avoid going during times of heavy traffic, a bit longer on Amtrak because of all the stops the train makes (unless of course you take Acela).

Feel free to get back with further questions, or details about the kind of place you are looking for. Take care.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:27 AM

4,625 posts, read 8,540,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Nigerian View Post

However, one HUGE concern I have: these rent prices I see by posters and on the main Boston page seem to me, a Floridian renter, to be beyond through the roof and even outrageous and has my heart racing!!!!! How do you Bostonians afford such an incredibly high rent?!!!!! (Please don't answer by simply saying: "We work.") Or maybe, as it is easy to forget and was mentioned earlier, the rent prices I see are just for central downtown Boston, and don't include outlying metro areas of Boston? I have no desire to live in ANY central downtown city area. Too many inconveniences.

Also, by the way, how long does it typically take to get from Boston to New York City? I'd like to experience New York nightlife every now and then.
Ahhh yes, sticker shock! I remember it well. When I first went to BOS from MIA to help my sister and brother move into their 3 bedroom in Kenmore I thought it was absolutely insane to pay $1000 per month rent - as I was paying $168 per month 2 blocks from the beach in MIA. That was 1990. That same apt now would probably be about $2000 now.

Yeah it seems impossible, doesn't it. So what I did was I got a sparkling studio in the gorgeous Fenway for $550 ($950 now). I made ends meet on my $9 per hour salary (which would be $13 now) by living frugally at first. I didn't have much but the city itself is all the pleasure I needed. Strolling through parks and the many free concerts and social events is kinda written into the rent. As I developed a reputation as a good woker and my salary rose more ammenities became available.

Personally I think downtown BOS is nothing but conveniences. You don't need a car - scratch those car payments. You save two hours of commute. Stores, parks, history, parades and culture abound - entertainment costs plunge. And school? Well if you work at a Harvard affiliated institution you can go to Harvard night school very reasonably.

Regarding Philly, I met a lovely young African-Hispanic lady who was visiting BOS from PA. She absolutely raved about how "upscale" Boston was - so unlike Philadelphia in her opinion (and mine). To make a long story short - you'll have to start from the ground up in BOS, but once you get in with Boston society - and it is not a quick process - Boston will take care of you. There are quite a few Nigerians in BOS and I've always found you people to be darling. So very nice and smiley. Many of the Nigerian people I met in BOS were and still are some of my best friends. I'm sure I'm not the only Bostonian with that opinion.

As far as the working class jobs, yes they pay a lot more. There's a shortage of non-white collar workers in BOS so the demand is higher. You can sweep the floor for $10 per hour anywhere. If you can file or answer a phone speaking clearly and politely, you can get $15. I think in BOS there is a definite market just for mere good manners. I would recommend you look into work in the hospitals, colleges, banks or law firms. In research is your future, hospitals and universities in BOS get billions in funding. Start at a modest medical records job and work your way up. Like I said - just good manners and organizational skills can get you far in BOS.

Regarding NYC, the most interesting thing is not how far NYC is, it's how cheap it is to get there. There actually is bus fares to NYC for ONE DOLLAR! Paying more than $15 is a ripoff. Then all you have to do is sit back on a comfortable bus and read your NYC tourist guide for a while and next thing you know you'll be stepping out into Manhattan without having suffered a moment's stress of traffic battle.

You should certainly visit BOS before you move. Philly as well. Philly is cheaper, but my opin is you get what you pay for. BOS does have it's drawbacks though. It's not easy to make deep friendships in BOS overnight. People come and go so fast in BOS, Bostonians don't commit to quickly. And winter in any northeastern city is quite hard on anybody nevermind a Floridian.

Anyways, good luck! Don't forget to come back and tell us how you've fared if you do visit the "Hub of the Universe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or