U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,255 times

Advertisements

What does everyone think of the intersection of Abbotsford st and Walnut Ave? I drove that area last night and it seemed ok. I did see a new Bentley parked on the street and I don't consider that to be a good thing.

Is that too far from StonyBrook to have potential?

I am not familiar with the area but I know it's relatively close to the H-block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:21 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,531,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeapskibum View Post
What does everyone think of the intersection of Abbotsford st and Walnut Ave? I drove that area last night and it seemed ok. I did see a new Bentley parked on the street and I don't consider that to be a good thing.

I am not familiar with the area but I know it's relatively close to the H-block.
That part of Roxbury is actually kinda pretty. The nice old homes in those hills are great. It's a predominantly African American neighborhood with some Hispanic influx. And since it is such a nice little African American neighborhood, my experience has been the people of that neighborhood want to keep it that way. As expensive as Boston is, it's really only the fear of racial animosity that keeps wealthy whites from pricing out less affluent AA's from the hidden jewels they have. And despite the fact that my experience has been that AA people don't like to stoop to the indignity of behaving discourteously toward encroaching Caucasians, they are wary and rightfully indignant at the prospect of being priced out of their nice little enclave. So although I'd say you could probably be fine there, unless you are Black or at least Hispanic, don't expect a welcome wagon. Although you may be pleasantly surprised. My experience in Lower Roxbury was just that. Some folks sneered at the f***in' white people in their 'hood. Others went out of their way to be more polite than any white Bostonian ever would. Some people see integration, others see gentrification. Both are right.

And of course it's no secret that in African American neighborhoods there are issues with violence among the kids and young men. And besides the well mannered people of color, there is of course all the charm of the ghetto style. It's not actually bad, but boom boom cars and boistrous people using profanity and the n word constantly does get old. Of course I lived on Tremont St which is sorta meant to be noisy, you'd get less of that off the main drag. Anyways, that's about the size of it. The Roxbury Hills are pretty but there are issues. Good or bad, a robust life's experience is likely to be found on Walnut St in ROX.

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 04-22-2009 at 07:01 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,206,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeapskibum View Post

How did you hear about the H-Block? I thought only locals who interact with urban youth (like myself - I teach high school here in Boston) know about these places.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 12,255 times
I volunteer with kids from that neighborhood along with many other great neighborhoods in Boston.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:08 AM

6,005 posts, read 13,180,092 times
hey, I don't think that's too far from where I grew up. I used to live on Ruthven, near Walnut. when I lived there, I don't recall many issues, even though I moved from that area about 6-7 years ago. Walnut was a pretty quiet street, unlike Seaver and Humboldt. I used to walk my toy dog around that area and up around near White Stadium all the time and used to play at the playground on Walnut when I was younger. there are some very nice houses on some of the side streets near Walnut. I don't recall much issues from H-Block gangs, but I didn't go too far up Ruthven past Humboldt towards the projects. I wonder if the neighborhood has changed greatly since that new housing development went up where the old El stop used to be on Washington (I think it was a mixed income residence). hopefully there hasn't been an influx of shady Section 8 residents b/c this area is one of my favorite areas of Roxbury (love Fort Hill, but it's more expensive there). don't get me wrong, the area has it's issues, but it's not as bad as some other parts of Roxbury. I loved being near White Stadium and Franklin Park Zoo though it wasn't super close to the train or shopping (though a very short bus ride away). not sure what you mean by potential, but it is a pretty long walk. I did done the walk from Jackson Sq to Walnut Ave a few times to get to the Stop and Shop there, though stony Brook does appear to be closer if you just need to hop on a train. but there are a ton of buses that go down Seaver/Columbus and towards Jackson Sq and that bus ride is barely 10 minutes so it's not too inconvenient.

Last edited by eevee; 04-24-2009 at 12:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston