U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 AM

6 posts, read 41,067 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the south end and have found a few places in/on the Berkeley Street area I was wondering how safe of an area it is? I keep finding conflicting info, some people say its just as safe as other areas and others say its a bit more sketchy? I'd really appreciate anyone's opinions on it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 AM

1,270 posts, read 4,776,256 times
I'd recommend Back Bay, Fenway, Brookline Village, Davis Square, or Coolidge Corner over the South End honestly. Its too close to Roxbury for my liking and there's some lower income housing projects within walking distance on the East Berkely side as you get toward Andrew SQ and Broadway

Some parts of the South End are nice but some aren't. There's been some break-ins around there too.

I dunno I would steer clear of South End if I were you

or talk to a real estate agent about finding a place closer to Copley Square part.

(not the Andrew/Broadway section)

Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM

793 posts, read 1,142,561 times
I'm going to have to disagree with Dreamworks here on this one. Berkeley Street runs all the way from Back Bay station into where they call the SOWA district (South of Washington).

Between Tremont and Shawmut you will find the majority of the apartments are in well maintanted brownstones in a very safe section of the South End. Plus you are close to Tremont St, which has some of the best restaurants and bars in the city.

If you are on Berkeley passed Shawmut and Washington then the area starts to get a little more industrial with mostly Loft conversion condo's and apartments. That area is definitely going through a serious gentrification now though with restaurants such as Gaslight, Myers and Chang, Union Bar and Grille and others in the area. There are also quite a few art galleries and artist lofts in that section as well. So this part is a little more edgy, but I personally like it.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,798,778 times
Personally, I really don't like the look of the the new buildings they've put up in the Washington St/E Berkeley area. Down by the highway and Harrison Av I find the area a bit desolate, with the gas station and parking lot and not a lot of pedestrians.

I do like the gardens between Shawmut and Tremont, but I'd also be concerned about lack of pedestrian traffic on that block.

Overall, I don't think it's a bad area but walking around late at night, I'd feel more comfortable on streets with more houses.

It's more Chinatown bleeding into that part of the South End than Roxbury.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback. The place we really like is on East Berkeley in the Dover Lofts building so its closer to Washington street area was just concerned if I was walking alone after 9 or 10 at night if it would be safe, altho that's kind of true for a lot of area's in the city

Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,857,788 times
There is a big difference btwn Berekley and East Berekley. That building is 1 block down from a homeless shelter, and there is a lot of drug/prostitution activity in that area at night. Now personally I would consider it, if the price was right, but I would not recommend it for a woman. *hope that didn't come off as sexist *

Old 04-23-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEFE View Post
The place we really like is on East Berkeley in the Dover Lofts building
Interesting that it's the Dover Lofts. East Berkeley used to be Dover Street and they had a Dover station on the Orange Line when it was an elevated on Washington St. Who knows why they renamed it? My dad still has an old flyer from JJ Foley's at "117 Dover St, Boston."

Though you wouldn't really know it, that corner is historically significant. The corner of Washington and Dover/East Berkeley is where the city gate was on the Boston Neck 200 years ago. Paul Revere's fellow rider, William Dawes, passed through the gate and road through the present-day South End and Roxbury, before crossing the Charles on a bridge located near today's Anderson footbridge and riding on Lexington via Mass Av

Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 AM

Ah I had not heard about the extra ciricular activities of that neighborhood. not at all sexist the saftery concern is different for men than women! the price is good and the apartment is beautiful... my boyfriend seems to think the area is fine espeically as the silverline stop is rightn ext to the building but I still have my doubts.... I think I'll have to reserach it more. Although is it interesting to know there's a bit of history in the area!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:23 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,214,446 times
They renamed it East Berkeley for the usual reason, to try to shake off the unsavory associations of Dover Street, which was the skid row section of town for a long time, and borrow a little of the prestige of Berkeley St, which, of course, is elegant in its Back Bay blocks. There's a Jack Nicholson movie, Last Detail, with a scene of Jack and his fellow rogues walking (or staggering) down Dover St during a three-day drunk with the El station in view. It was a pretty good movie--the usual Jack. I believe the area was thick with North End-style tenements from East Berkeley all the way up to the railroad-turnpike cut, which were all torn down in the 50s and replaced with drab industrial structures and the Castle Square apartments.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
They renamed it East Berkeley for the usual reason, to try to shake off the unsavory associations of Dover Street, which was the skid row section of town for a long time, and borrow a little of the prestige of Berkeley St, which, of course, is elegant in its Back Bay blocks.
That makes sense, but it's a little weak. Of course they did the same thing with Scollay Square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
It was a pretty good movie--the usual Jack.
IMO, Jack Nicholson has played the same exact character about 40 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or