U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 AM

21 posts, read 58,795 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Today I'll be looking at apartments in Beacon Hill. Is the "good side" still the southern part near the Common and the Park St. T stop? Is the "bad side" the northern part near Cambridge St.?

Is there anything else I should know about the area?

Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,210,291 times
The "sunny street that holds the sifted few" (O. W. Holmes) is Beacon Street and from there up to Pinckney is the traditional elite quarter. The North Slope streets run downhill from Myrtle and Revere Streets to Cambridge Street. That's the "bad" side. However, nothing bad about it. Years ago, when the north slope continued across Cambridge St into the West End, it was considered slummy but not any more. Still, you can't help noticing the difference between the two areas--the south slope has exquisite town houses, some with bow fronts, shutters, and wrought iron details; the north slope is mostly tenement buildings built cheaply in the 1890s to house immigrants, same as the ones that predominate in the North End (which isn't considered slummy any more either.) The third area of Beacon Hill is the "flat" of the hill, between Charles St and the Storrow embankment. That's's very nice, more like the south slope than the north slope.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,792,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
The "sunny street that holds the sifted few" (O. W. Holmes) is Beacon Street and from there up to Pinckney is the traditional elite quarter. The North Slope streets run downhill from Myrtle and Revere Streets to Cambridge Street. That's the "bad" side. However, nothing bad about it. Years ago, when the north slope continued across Cambridge St into the West End, it was considered slummy but not any more. Still, you can't help noticing the difference between the two areas--the south slope has exquisite town houses, some with bow fronts, shutters, and wrought iron details; the north slope is mostly tenement buildings built cheaply in the 1890s to house immigrants, same as the ones that predominate in the North End (which isn't considered slummy any more either.) The third area of Beacon Hill is the "flat" of the hill, between Charles St and the Storrow embankment. That's's very nice, more like the south slope than the north slope.
I completely agree with this. The whole thing strikes me a little bit like deciding which is the bad side of Weston

The south slope is perpetually out of my price range. Though the Flat is very nice, I actually prefer the north slope because it's got easier access to the T and stores. While it's primarily composed of "tenements" compared to the Mt. Vernon St. townhouses, I also think the north slope streets are quite attractive in their own right. (Anderson, Irving, Garden, etc.). I had a friend who lived on Chestnut near Brimmer and it was a decent trek to any of 3 different T stops (Charles, Park, Arlington). Great location for walking to the Hatch Shell or Public Garden though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston