Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 05:56 PM

33 posts, read 224,243 times

Advertisements

I moved from Boston after graduating from college and now 20 years later I will return in a couple weeks, newly divorced and with my 5 year old in tow. I know nothing about the school system for young children, and am glad the segregated Boston of my youth is a distant memory.

I'll be crashing with family until I get back on my financial feet, but I need to find a kindergarten asap. My son's been evaluated as above 90% of kids his age, and reads at a first grade level, so I want a place where he can be challenged. I want diversity and a progressive environment. Where do I start? Am I too late to find something decent for September?

Unfortunately my family's of little help since I'm the "one" who ran off went to Ivy League and left "the neighborhood". They're very blue collar and I'm a writer so they've always thought I was a little different...lol. Also now that I'm single, I'm not looking to live too far out in a suburb, and want to be near the cultural heart.

Anyway, any help, suggestions, guidance would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
Brookline fits your requirements, but it can be pricey. You could probably get by with a one bedroom with one child, although there are plenty of larger triple deckers around.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:40 PM

33 posts, read 224,243 times
Brookline is a great neighborhood from what I remember. Thanks Clevedark!

I was hoping to get some feedback on good kindergartens. Where are all the parents with advice? Don't be shy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston