U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM

22 posts, read 49,709 times

Advertisements

Necessary Background:
Both my husband and I are 27, He was recently offered a job in the Boston Area. He will be commuting to a variety of locations.

Both of us combined we have lived in CA, OR, WA, AZ, MD, and NC. We have lived in the hills, the suburbs, and dense cities. We have moved a lot. So we are hoping to stay put for awhile. We would like to rent for 6 months and then maybe look into buying a home.

I called a realtor and spoke to friends about areas, But still have so many questions.

We would like to live in an area priced around 900-1200 a month. With trees, low crime, not a dense city but close to a few good restaurants, parking always available, washer and dryer in unit, and with a patio for my container garden.

too much to ask for?

1. Can anyone tell me about Methuen, Arlington, Haverhill, Lowell, Nashua, Billerica, Salem, Jamaica Plains, Dedham, anywhere else I might want to rule out or know about?

2. I have read so many bad reviews of apartments, does anyone live somewhere they can recommend?

3. Is Nashua too far away?

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:37 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,520,661 times
Jamaica Plain is too urban for you.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:03 PM

4,542 posts, read 11,752,396 times
Hello... It sounds like you're off to a good start by calling a Realtor, and speaking to friends in the area, but I'm sure you have a TON more questions. For what it's worth, I might be able to help you with areas well north of Boston (Methuen, Haverhill, Nashua, etc).

How important is public transportation? Does it even factor in? If he will be commuting to a variety of locations, I wonder first if it would be worth talking to the 'home office'. I've helped people relocate to New Hampshire instead of MA when it was discovered that they wouldn't have to pay income tax because 'corporate' was not located in Massachusetts. Seriously, he should speak w/ HR and/or a financial consultant.

You'll find the most trees north and west of the city. Lowell, Methuen and Haverhill will have a high number of rental units available, and a wide variety of neighborhoods (some neighborhood in each of those cities could be considered risky). There are a number of other small cities that you could add to the list depending on where your husband will be commuting to. Your best option might be to get into a short-term rental of a townhouse, duplex or other owner-occupied property. Absentee landlords are a primary cause of neighborhood becoming blighted.

Nashua isn't too far, but again, it really depends on where your husband will be commuting to. If he can travel in the "off hours" or be heading in the opposite direction as the rest of the traffic, all the better! Also, I notice you mention Salem--do you mean MA or NH?

Old 05-03-2009, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 16,866 times
I'm in Billerica, just moved here from the other end of the state. Close to the Burlington Mall, nice library and public square (well, triangle really). There's a lot of complexes in the area, I'm in a 2 br with washer and dryer on our floor with lots of space, a playground, and pool. We have another park under construction right now, too. It's possible to get all the way into Boston on public transit, but it takes a couple transfers.

Only complaint I have about the town is the lack of safe crosswalks to the grocery store. I came from a very walkable community, so it's a big let down.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:44 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,057,339 times
Methuen I really do not like, it also may be a long compute to Boston. Your price range means you do need to look outside Boston. Dedham, is not real special, maybe try Quincy, or norwood. The big issue
is to live near Boston is very costly. Arlington will be more money, but nice. Roslindale, however price wise, and trees it may not work. I really think
you do need to up the money, or downsize the wish list for now!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:56 AM

118 posts, read 409,312 times
what about framingham, walpole, norwood, waltham?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 AM

24 posts, read 92,390 times
I have lived in quite a few places as well and can tell you that for all of its amenities the greater Boston area is an expensive and concentrated place to reside. My personal suggestion would be to simply find a safe and cost effecient area to live for six months while you explore the area, get familiar with cost index, and seek out you're interests. Massachusetts is a diverse, dynamic, and proud area. Each community and neighborhood offers something different. The north shore is quite different from the south shore, and metro west is a world unto itself. Places like Newton and Arlington are dramatically overpriced, and areas in the city are very specific. Given yoour price range, I would suggest living in the north shore or metro west area just to get settled in for a few months. Framingham isn't a bad thought, and isn't too far from the city. As far as Methuen, Haverhill and Lowell.....all are decent places. Lowell and Lawrence have had a tough reputation for years for gang violence, crime, and arson.....but the last five years or so both cities have cleaned up quite a bit. Haverhill offers alot of rental places and a pretty well established community, but you are 25-25 minutes from Boston depending on how you drive.

I would examine places like Peabody, Danvers, and Gerogetown. They are smaller communities about 20-25 minutes outside the city north on Route 1. They are safe, offer decent health care at Beverly Hopsital, and have nice suburban amentities like restaurants, shopping, and easy off/on highway accesibility. It probably won't be where you will settle for any period of time, but it is a place which will offer you a decent community while you figure everything out.

Massachsuetts and the city of Boston is place where one of two things will happen......either you will love it and never want to leave, or you will hate it and want to leave immediately.....so the six month experiement will probably do you and your husband some good.

Best of luck to both of you.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 AM

118 posts, read 409,312 times
Massachsuetts and the city of Boston is place where one of two things will happen......either you will love it and never want to leave, or you will hate it and want to leave immediately.....so the six month experiement will probably do you and your husband some good.

Best of luck to both of you.[/quote]

---that statement can be said about anywhere. 50/50 chance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or