Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 12,063 times

Advertisements

Hello, I and my fiancee are moving to Boston this summer. She is African-American and I would like to find an area that has a high precentage of affluent African-American people in which to settle. We are both educated and have above average income. We want to buy a nice house and are looking forward to settling in the area for the forseable future. I tried looking up demographic data for the area but was dissapointed by the limited amount of information available. If someone out there can give me some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 08:57 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,418 times
Hi, how about brookline?? Cambridge?? Brighton??
Belmont, Newton

Old 04-06-2007, 09:04 PM

Sorry, Somerville

Old 04-07-2007, 07:18 PM

Sorry, again Ivan, how about arlington?? Needham, Wellesley, reallly kind of depends on what you are looking for..there are some suburban areas that you get the "hard wave".... neighbors who just barely want to look and wave... they like to be by themselves..that is what they like about the suburbs..there are some places in the cities or towns that offer a lot of activity...what kind of town are you interested in??

Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
If you can afford living in this town, you are affluent.

MA has a relatively low percentage of African American (I think ~7%). In the affluent towns (towns with high median income), that percentage is even less. When looking at places to live, you decide what income level is affluent enough and what percentage of AA is suited for you.

Example,
Weston MA (population ~12K)
Median household income $154K
% of African American 1.2%
Median House Value $1.3M

Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 PM

19 posts, read 104,840 times
The most integrated (black/white) wealthy suburb in Boston is definitely Milton. It is just south of the city, and the home of our wealthy African American governor Deval Patrick. Most of the wealthy Boston suburbs are mostly white. Even Milton is only ~10% African American, but that is much better than most, and many who live there are well off.

Check out:

http://factfinder.census.gov/home/sa....html?_lang=en

This will allow you to search demographic data on every city in the country. But cities with higher AA percentages around Boston (such as Brockton) tend to be poorer communities, and not what you are looking for. Cambridge would also be a good choice as it is very diverse, but most of the AA that live there are not well off, and the schools are not that great. Milton sounds like what you are looking for. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
I would look at the neighborhood of Dorchester. I know some people may be thinking wtf, as this area has traditionally been a little worse off than the better neighborhoods. However, an article literally just came out putting Dorchester as #1 on America's top ten up and coming neighborhood list. The article is on www.businessweek.com.

There have been a lot of renovations to homes in this area, and the houses are beautiful. You can get a lot for your money, and the area is revitalizing. Home appreciation is going up there, and more money is moving into the neighborhood.

I think this will be an area that if you don't buy in, 5 years from now you will be kicking yourself.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I think this will be an area that if you don't buy in, 5 years from now you will be kicking yourself.
So, You bought in Dorchester? or are you going to be one of those that will kick yourself?

Old 04-12-2007, 12:55 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
Unfortunately the military transferred me out of Boston before I could. I wish I would have though. When I was there they were even cheaper than they are now!

Old 08-08-2010, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,994 times
Default Wondering where you ended up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the not so Terrible View Post
Hello, I and my fiancee are moving to Boston this summer. She is African-American and I would like to find an area that has a high precentage of affluent African-American people in which to settle. We are both educated and have above average income. We want to buy a nice house and are looking forward to settling in the area for the forseable future. I tried looking up demographic data for the area but was dissapointed by the limited amount of information available. If someone out there can give me some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

My family (African American) is considering a move from the Atlanta suburbs. We know we won't find anything close to the diversity of Atlanta, but we're trying to keep an open mind. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston