U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 08:41 AM

63 posts, read 197,255 times

Advertisements

Obviously this is going to vary by industry, but overall, do employers have a preference for Boston area college graduates over non-local graduates? A friend and I are considering moving to Boston (she's from NY; I've lived all over the country) and I am concerned about this since there are so many prestigious universities in the Boston area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:14 AM

793 posts, read 1,145,460 times
Boston is definitely competitive because the access to Human Capital is unmatched anywhere in the country. With that being said though depending on your Industry you will get a fair shot at a position if you have solid work experience and went to a reputable school.

Personally my wife and I both went to school in Toronto (I graduated from UofT) and we had no problem finding jobs here. I work along with graduates from Harvard, BU, BC, Northeastern and also many other schools around the country and even world (one of my co-workers went to Hong Kong University)

Also keep in mind that Boston has held up economically better than most major cities in the country throughout the recession, so despite the competition you have a better chance of finding a position here than many other major cities throughout the country.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:24 PM

63 posts, read 197,255 times
Awesome. Thank you for your response! I'm graduating from a well known state university in the midwest and then working in PR/Communications. I'm willing to work in any industry so that should help somewhat.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:38 PM

2,232 posts, read 4,387,344 times
It is really difficult in the Boston area because you have lots of graduates every year and not enough jobs. Also, many companies have also relocated out of MA because of the very expensive business atmosphere in this state. Add all that to the fact that MA is a high density place so you can get to Boston from many different parts of the state and even people in RI and NH commute to metro Boston area for work. I also found that many people I know that worked in and around Boston didn't get paid that well when they were recent graduates.

With the economy the way it is you have nothing to lose because it will tough getting a job anywhere.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:33 PM

1,810 posts, read 9,583,557 times
I would say... no preference... especially with companies that want to pay people less.

Many come from out of state but did not stay because of cost of living. The pay seems higher than midwest. but you may still be paying 50+% of your income to rent then add utilities and transportation. By the time you pay for food, there is nothing left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or