U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,721,588 times

Advertisements

....and which pubs do you recommend for someone who likes a wide selection of beer, but doesn't want anywhere too "trendy"?

Are most of the pubs in Boston Irish, or are there some English-style pubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:09 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,010,089 times
The Sunset Grill has 120 beers on Tap plus another couple hundred bottled. I would also call it anti-trendy.

There are plenty of irish pubs, and yes a few english ones around.

http://www.bostonirishpub.com/

Old 05-12-2009, 08:32 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times
I'll second The Sunset Grill.

Jacob Wirth's in the Theater Dist also has a nice selection if imports and domestics on tap, with a very casual atmosphere.

Jacob Wirth :: Beer List

Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,792,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
....and which pubs do you recommend for someone who likes a wide selection of beer, but doesn't want anywhere too "trendy"?

Are most of the pubs in Boston Irish, or are there some English-style pubs?
Mostly Irish, a few English. Maybe check out Cornwall's (Beacon St. near Kenmore Sq) and Elephant & Castle (downtown, Devonshire St).

For a wide selection, Sunset Grill & Tap is a good choice. It depends on what you mean by "trendy." Sunset is not the exclusive hot spot of the day, and it's nothing like the Miami Beach club scene, but it is generally noisy and crowded with college-age people. Some other options with a lot of beer on tap are the Publick House further west on Beacon St in Brookline (more of a 25-to-35 and up crowd) and the Coolidge Corner Clubhouse, on Harvard St also in Brookline (more of a sports bar with little visual ambiance but a nice selection.

The Publick House may go a little heavy on the Belgian stuff. I think the beer drinking world is split between (1) people who think the Belgian beers are the best; and (2) people who don't really care all that much for the Belgian beers and think they're the beer that wine drinkers who don't like beer prefer. I am in the second group. Thankfully, Publick House has plenty of other choices too. For selection (though heavy on bottles) you might check out the Lower Depths in Kenmore Sq as well.

And Cliff is right, Jacob Wirth. That is a very cool old German restaurant/pub that my friends love but for some reason always forget exists.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:49 AM

7,336 posts, read 15,298,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post

The Publick House may go a little heavy on the Belgian stuff. I think the beer drinking world is split between (1) people who think the Belgian beers are the best; and (2) people who don't really care all that much for the Belgian beers and think they're the beer that wine drinkers who don't like beer prefer. I am in the second group. Thankfully, Publick House has plenty of other choices too. For selection (though heavy on bottles) you might check out the Lower Depths in Kenmore Sq as well.

And Cliff is right, Jacob Wirth. That is a very cool old German restaurant/pub that my friends love but for some reason always forget exists.
I got a kick out of this post. I LOVE the Publick House (and the area around Washington Square in general). But I am certainly in your first group of beer drinkers. BIG fan of Belgians (though I do love some others). Publick House is certainly one of the better places to go if you're a fan of Belgian Style beers (note that all "Belgians" are not brewed in Belgium one of my favorite brewers of Belgian beer is Unibroue out of Quebec).

Sunset is the best for variety and being the anti-trendy haven.

Not that the selection is particularly wonderful, but for a pint on a weekday, I've ALWAYS enjoyed Kennedy's downtown (tucked away on Province Street). The atmosphere is fun and the food's not half bad. I once drank for free all night when I was dared by the bartender to go drink from a martini glass that had been sitting on an empty table half consumed. I did it and didn't pay for a beer. Needless to say, I had to take a cab back to my friend's place that night.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,792,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Not that the selection is particularly wonderful, but for a pint on a weekday, I've ALWAYS enjoyed Kennedy's downtown (tucked away on Province Street). The atmosphere is fun and the food's not half bad. I once drank for free all night when I was dared by the bartender to go drink from a martini glass that had been sitting on an empty table half consumed. I did it and didn't pay for a beer. Needless to say, I had to take a cab back to my friend's place that night.
I used to work on School at Province. I always liked Kennedy's.

I miss the Littlest being there. The new one is a nice enough place, but I think it suffers from the use of the name since it can't replicate the atmosphere on Province St. I also miss the steps leading up to the other street. I had a lot of good lunches from Marliave and LaGrassa's.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 AM

7,336 posts, read 15,298,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I used to work on School at Province. I always liked Kennedy's.

I miss the Littlest being there. The new one is a nice enough place, but I think it suffers from the use of the name since it can't replicate the atmosphere on Province St. I also miss the steps leading up to the other street. I had a lot of good lunches from Marliave and LaGrassa's.
I miss the Littlest and the steps too. I talked to a worker at 45 Province (the building they needed to tear down the steps to build) and he said they were going to replace them, but not so much yet.

LaGrassa's had the best Pastrami I've had outside of New York City. I was always lukewarm on Marliave... never bad, but never my favorite. I have actually liked it better under the new ownership. Their Pastrami is very good too as is their clam chowder (which is non-traditional). Come to think of it, I've never sat anywhere in Marliave but the bar area. Never been upstairs.

That whole little area had a really cool atmosphere. I'm hopeful that once construction is done it can be replicated but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 PM

406 posts, read 1,319,246 times
Bukowski's is, without a doubt, my favorite pub in Boston. I miss going there all the time like I used to! It's right in Back Bay, near the Prudential Center. (Right next to Kings and Summer Shack). They have an amazing selection of beers (no bud light allowed), fabulous pub grub, great music selection (the bartenders are their own dj's) and hole-in-the-wall atmosphere to spare. Nab a dollar burger at the bar (I think it's actually more like 1.79 now) and you're good to go.

It's not "trendy", per se, but you'll likely see more than one hipster there if you go on a weekend night.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM

261 posts, read 844,144 times
Panoramio - Photo of JJ Foley's Kingston St Boston - If you are going downtown waiting for the train, bus or airplanes this is the ONLY pub in the area i.e Local Bostonians can be found in this bar.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
What's the difference between an English pub and an Irish one, if most people in them are American?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or