U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 10,180 times

Advertisements

My girlfriends and I want to do a roadie down to Boston end of July/beginning of August. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for where to go and which area to stay in Boston. We are all in our early 20's, looking for good nightlife, shopping, and sightseeing!
We are from a university town so we can handle a college student-y (beer and pubs) area, but are looking for more of a classy (dresses and stilettos) girls weekend. Suggestions for both would be appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 11:30 AM

118 posts, read 409,576 times
well what kind of music do u like? clubs or bars? u might like places like whiskey park, felt, matra, rumor, revolution rock bar, gypsy bar, the liquor store, estate. i am missing a few that i cannot think of but those places should suit u pretty well.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:25 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,863,452 times
I've never done a girls weekend before, but I'd suggest any of the hotels from the Theater Dist to Copley Sq. You'll be in walking distance of number of bars and clubs (many of the spots Suericio mentioned) as well as shopping.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 10,180 times
Thanks for the responses!

We generally like pretty mainsteam music... anything we can dance to, and a mix of clubs and bars would be nice so we can change it up each night. We are a group of 20 something girls, so suggestions for places with a higher percentage of the opposite sex wouldn't hurt

We are looking at booking a hotel, but are unsure of which neighbourhood to search in. It gives a list of the Boston vicinity, but places like Bedford, Braintree, Lexington, etc, are coming up for some of the cheapest hotels so I assume it's on the outskirts and I don't think that's where we want to be (we won't have a car). It gives the option of narrowing down to Back Bay, Cambridge, Downtown and Waterfront, Logan Airport, Waltham, Woburn, Boston North/South Shore, Northwest Boston. I assume we would want to be Downtown?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:04 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,807,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnguye9 View Post
We are looking at booking a hotel, but are unsure of which neighbourhood to search in. It gives a list of the Boston vicinity, but places like Bedford, Braintree, Lexington, etc, are coming up for some of the cheapest hotels so I assume it's on the outskirts and I don't think that's where we want to be (we won't have a car). It gives the option of narrowing down to Back Bay, Cambridge, Downtown and Waterfront, Logan Airport, Waltham, Woburn, Boston North/South Shore, Northwest Boston. I assume we would want to be Downtown?

Thanks in advance!
Bedford and Lexington are out in the suburbs and would be infinitely easier with a car. Braintree as well, but some hotels there are near the end of the Red Line subway and it's 30 mins or so to downtown Boston. I'd look Downtown or also Back Bay, which is one of the nicest and most fun parts of Boston. You might check Brookline as well, as it's easily accessible to Boston by mass transit and might be a bit less expensive than staying downtown.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:03 PM

613 posts, read 1,968,503 times
Back Bay, Downtown, Financial District, and the Theater District would be the best bets for you. They're all different parts of Boston, but in Boston. Stay away from the outlying areas because any savings in hotel will be offset by the cost of taxis. It's also just a lot more fun to stay in town if you want to enjoy the nightlife.

Other suggestions for going out that weren't mentioned: Feneuil Hall has a ton of bars although that area can be a bit touristy and somewhat cheesy, but good places to dance that aren't clubs (Ned Devines, Bell in Hand, etc.). Red Sky and the Living Room are good lounge bars in that area.

The Liberty Hotel near Mass General Hospital and not far from Feneuil Hall may be too pricey to stay in for you, but it has 2 trendy and very popular hotel bars (Clink and Alibi). Expensive drinks, but definitely a scene.

During the summer, Tia's on the Water is very popular. It's can be a cheesy meat market, but fun. You are in the right age group for it since it tends toward the early to mid 20s crowd.

Saint in the Back Bay is another club to consider.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:46 PM

118 posts, read 409,576 times
try dedham, newton, waltham, watertown, braintree for other options on hotels. since u will be coming during the summer i would also suggest newbury st during the day for eating and shopping and also i would check out waterclub in quincys marina bay and there are a few others there too that i cannot remember. also being in my mid 20's i think u would enjoy the places i named above. most are pretty trendy and classy. i think fanuiel hall is more college type places in my opinion. u always see stupid drunk kids picking fights or acting retarded. also how will u guys be getting around, car or public transit? also after the clubs or bars go to the north end for some late night italian goodies. u will enjoy it. g/l

Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 AM

2,652 posts, read 7,647,368 times
Stay in Back Bay, shop on Newbury Street, go to the clubs around Fenway, and have a good time. Definately do the Freedom Trail (touristy but worth it), Cheers, even take in a Red Sox game.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:44 PM

7,358 posts, read 15,332,628 times
I would suggest staying IN town. Boston's big enough where you can debate what constitutes the "downtown" area. Some will consider it ONLY the financial district (which is a good location as you can walk most anywhere from the FD, but it's kind of boring by itself) while others (like myself) consider it to be most of the neighborhoods that make up the central core of the city (Financial District, Chinatown, Leather District, Theatre District, Downtown Crossing, Beacon Hill, Back Bay and the North End). There are also neighborhoods that have enough to offer themselves and are right on the outskirts of the core of the city and would make a good location... These include Fenway, South End, South Boston, East Boston, much of Cambridge and even parts of Somerville. If you book in one of those nieghborhoods you may get a good deal, and as long as you're close to the T, you're minutes from the center of the city and there should be stuff to do around your hotel.

I would advise against staying in the suburbs with the possible exception of staying RIGHT on a subway line in Quincy, Revere, or Newton. Even then I would suggest something closer to the city. The reason for this is that the clubs and bars are primarily in the core of Boston and close down later than the T does so a cab back to your hotel will cost a fortune if you stay in a Dedham, Waltham, or Braintree. Also, there's much less to do around there. While Marina Bay in Quincy is nice enough, it pales in comparison to the better clubs in Boston which are the reason you're in town.

As far as dining goes,there are plenty of excellent restaurants. For nice, traditional Italian I'd suggest looking in the North End. I really like Terramia there. Afterwards, walk around the neighborhood and get coffee, dessert, or a drink at one of the many places in the North End. For trendier dining, check out Clink in the Liberty Hotel (in fact, if you can afford the Liberty, it's a great place to stay). The South End has some of the coolest restaurants. I REALLY like Banq and Oishii, but there are a number of others. A nice, modern steakhouse near the Boston Common is KO Prime (in the Nine Zero Hotel). Moo, located a short walk from KO on Beacon Street is good too. If you want gourmet French, I suggest L'espalier in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Boylston. I'm making reservations for this Saturday as we speak (I can hardly afford it, but love it!). If you get over to Cambridge, check out OM just off of Harvard Square... Upstairs on the Square is a good lunch spot too.

Now, as for nightlife, there's plenty. As has already been mentioned, different areas have different styles of nightlife. The area around Faneuil Hall is a pub scene. There are some areas to dance there, but it's mostly a place to hang out at the bar and have a beer. It's fun, but maybe not what you're looking for.

Lansdowne Street has some cool spots... it's a bit mixed. The areas you can dance are relatively limited and the area is dominated by sports bars. Tequila Rain (at Jillians) is nice... they have a big dance floor and bar on the first level and bowling, billiards, etc on the upper levels. It's nice, but it's not a prime sport for a girls night out.

I would suggest the Theatre District clubs for you. These are a bit more upscale and classy. Far better suited for a ladies night out than Landsowne or Faneuil Hall. I particularly recommend Estate, Felt, Gypsy Bar, and Rumor . There are plenty of others in that area and the quality of each one really varies daily. I've always felt that Estate is the best bet (check out Suite which is located underneath Estate), but Gypsy Bar and Rumor are often good too. Felt can be hit or miss. You'll likely walk by places in that area that look good and my strategy is that if it looks good, check it out regardless of the name on the door.

Now, as for hotels, I ALWAYS trust Hotwire.com. What it does is gives you a star rating (i.e. 3 star) and a neighborhood (i.e. Faneuil Hall) and a price. Only after you book does it tell you the name of the hotel. The reason for this is because they have deals with hotels to sell unbooked rooms at underprices (less than the minimum the hotel will sell the room directly for). I would trust any hotel Hotwire gives you in the Theatre Dirstrict, Back Bay/Copley, Cambridge/ Harvard Square, Faneuil Hall/Financial District, Beacon Hill, and a few other central areas. Hotwire WILL give you a better rate than you'll find on Orbitz or even directly through the hotels website. I promise I don't work for Hotwire, but I use it religiously when traveling because the rates are just that much better and the locations beat the suburbs (you REALLY don't want to stay in the suburbs).

Anyway, enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston