U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 06:55 AM

1,816 posts, read 5,412,001 times

Advertisements

I believe the Hurricanes did to you what they did to Jersey....screwed up enough to give you hope, then pulled the rug out from under you. My husband and I wanted the Bruins to win the cup SO BAD. If Carolina gets past Pittsburgh, I'll have no one to root for in the final. I hope Chicago can pull off a miracle. Sorry about the Celtics too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 09:21 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,868,631 times
Thanks. It was tough with the high expectations of this team. But the C's are still in it, and should be able to handle a game 7 at home. It would be nice to see Allen get better looks though.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:43 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,814,379 times
Total bummer. I hope the C's get past Game 7 but I'm afraid that, with all their injuries and the toll of the minutes logged, the end of the road will come against Cleveland. The Bruins were the better chance to win it all, and the only local team not to do so in my lifetime.

To top it off, it's that jerk Scott Walker, who hadn't even scored in the playoffs before. B's controlled the puck more in the 3rd and the OT, but didn't get many really serious chances and Carolina has the speed to go on rushes and make things happen.

You tip your hat to the players, but it really does gall me that Carolina recently won a Stanley Cup and is still alive for another. I just don't like Confederate or desert hockey. I prefer my hockey in places where ice exists in the natural world and people actually grow up playing the game. Just a personal preference. My interest in the NHL dimmed a bit when the vaunted Stanley Cup went, in succession, to Tampa, Raleigh, and Anaheim. And who wrote the law saying that the newer Sunbelt teams must all have indecipherable logos?

So basically I'm fine with any of the other three teams winning this thing but I hope Carolina's gone in 4.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:26 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,015,207 times
I wouldn't count out Chicago yet. I believe no Stanley Cup team in recent memory has made it back to the Finals and only one had even made it to the conference finals.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:04 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,218,449 times
Yeah, I'm quite upset with the Bruins loss too. Had the Hurricanes still been the Hartford Whalers, I mightn't have felt so bad because it would be another New England team although it would still hurt somewhat.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Yeah, I'm quite upset with the Bruins loss too. Had the Hurricanes still been the Hartford Whalers, I mightn't have felt so bad because it would be another New England team although it would still hurt somewhat.

Yeah, I don't know why people suggest it's OK because they used to be the Whalers. They're not the Whalers. To me it's only worse because they ditched New England to move to a place where nobody plays hockey.

When your hometown team jilts your hometown to set up shop 700 miles away, that's a pretty good reason NOT to like them anymore. They don't cheer for the Colts in Baltimore anymore, and they don't cheer for the Baltimore Ravens in Cleveland.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:03 AM

1,816 posts, read 5,412,001 times
They cheer for the Colts in TN! Everyone's a Peyton worshipper here! LOL

Great to hear your hockey comments/feelings. I know that hockey originated in Canada, and I have nothing against Canada, but I never root for a Canadian team. My husband says the officials always favor them anyway (esp. Montreal). But my hockey hero is Canadian and I do worship him. I understand how you feel about the southern teams. We lived in FL for a while and went to a Devils/Lightning game once and we're like "these people are cheering but they don't have a clue what's happening." Funny comment about the logos. I definitely don't think Carolina has what it takes to win the cup. It feels to me like Detroit is in the finals every year - I know they're not, but they're always around. They're like the Yankees, you just can't get rid of them. I usually root for the underdog.

Why doesn't somebody crush Eric Staal already??

Old 05-16-2009, 08:55 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,218,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Yeah, I don't know why people suggest it's OK because they used to be the Whalers. They're not the Whalers. To me it's only worse because they ditched New England to move to a place where nobody plays hockey.

When your hometown team jilts your hometown to set up shop 700 miles away, that's a pretty good reason NOT to like them anymore. They don't cheer for the Colts in Baltimore anymore, and they don't cheer for the Baltimore Ravens in Cleveland.
The thing is, both Baltimore and Cleveland obtained expansion teams and now have absolutely no need to cheer for their former teams. If people in Hartford still cheer for the ex-Whalers (the Hurricanes), its because they have no other major team to cheer for. I too agree it sounds dumb and I myself would have been really mad back in '06 if I were a Hartford native, but they probably do that just to tick off the Bostonians. I suppose it is too cruel of a suggestion for them to cheer for the Bruins as they would cheer the Patriots even if it means a wake up to reality.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:53 AM

28 posts, read 80,898 times
Sorry too Boston I always loved the team and the people of Boston, but your team came off a little arrogant in the final. Great series just wish they played like that all year. And people of Boston did you know what the TD stands for in the TD BankNorth Garden? It's Toronto Dominion Bank. I looked on the arena website and they don't even say that? What do they have to hide? Maybe they will say it on O'Reilly. Same thing at the RBC Center in Carolina. It stands for Royal Bank Canada. Is this a sign?

Daniel ............. Toronto

Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandmb50 View Post
Sorry too Boston I always loved the team and the people of Boston, but your team came off a little arrogant in the final. Great series just wish they played like that all year. And people of Boston did you know what the TD stands for in the TD BankNorth Garden? It's Toronto Dominion Bank. I looked on the arena website and they don't even say that? What do they have to hide? Maybe they will say it on O'Reilly. Same thing at the RBC Center in Carolina. It stands for Royal Bank Canada. Is this a sign?

Daniel ............. Toronto
TD decided what to call the arena. If anyone's hiding the name it's the sponsor, not the Bruins.

Except for a stretch in February or so, they did pick this series to play their worst. But Carolina exploited the speed advantage also. There's been some suggestion that they played badly in Game 1 and still won handily, so they underestimated Carolina.

The only O'Reilly I follow is Terry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or