U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 AM
ckk ckk started this thread

1 posts, read 3,851 times

Advertisements

I will be working in the Longwood Medical Area and am considering renting a townhouse on Blue Ledge Drive just off Washington St. According to the ad, it is located in a 'gated community'. Schools are not an issue. Our concerns are related to the safety, theft, burglary, etc. How is this area? I would appreciate any info.

Last edited by ckk; 05-17-2009 at 11:07 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 04:25 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,205,708 times
To me, that area is a little mixed. Roslindale is safe for the most part but there are housing projects just around the corner from the street you mentioned. I heard somewhere that they plan to replace those projects with townhouses but I am not sure. I don't think you will have a ton of problems but just keep in mind that that part of Roslindale is more low income and a little more run-down than other parts.

Also keep in mind that the Stony Brook Reservation is nearby and so beware of wildlife.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Blue Ledge Dr is part of High Point Village, which was constructed as a mixed-income development in the '60s. Now that the 40-year commitment to provide subsidized housing has expired, it could well be that its owners are now pitching all the units at "market rate."
The few people I've known who lived there liked it. The "townhomes" were all well maintained and attractive (from personal observation) and the neighborhood was close-knit. All the same, the far end of Blue Ledge Dr does curve toward the Washington-Beech projects which have had their "issues." The track record of public-housing makeovers is uneven at best. Crime/gang/drug problems tend to remain although at a much lower level.
I think being close to a park area is a plus, for quiet daytime strolls through the woods and such. Wildlife of the human variety is what truly needs to be watched out for.
A redone public-housing development much closer to the LMA is Mission Main, extending from Saint Alphonsus St (off the east end of Longwood Ave) over to Parker St. Although the townhouse exteriors are on the drab, dull-pastel-color end of the spectrum the buildings are a major improvement over the brick boxes that were demolished for them. Now that the community is "mixed income," the area has become considerably safer and provided the catalyst for even faster gentrification of the adjoining Mission Hill neighborhood. BUT you still hear about the occasional robberies, or shootings, related to lingering turf battles and bored unemployed people.
A better, surer bet would be to search west of Washington St - near and north of "Rozzie Skway-ya" along Belgrade Ave and South St are best. Jamaica Plain goes through one wave of gentrification after another, but you can still find some reasonable rent deals if you dig far and deep enough. And it's not too late to locate something in Mission Hill that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, too; the closer to Brigham Circle (Tremont/Huntington intersection) the better. The main drawbacks to JP and Mission Hill are that they're each becoming more "student ghetto" with each passing year, thanks to the climbing rental rates in the Fenway and the South End.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 12,294 times
My grandfather lived in High Point Village for years and never had any problems--I used to ride my bike around all the time and always felt perfectly safe.

That said, other parts of Roslindale might be more interesting/provide for an easier commute if you're taking the T.
There is a commuter rail station in Roslindale Square, and buses from the square that will take you right to the Orange Line at Forest Hills Station...that line to Ruggles station, followed by a walk or a short bus ride, would get you to Longwood (the 39 bus also goes from that station and takes you right to the Longwood area).

Some of the nice streets around Roslindale Square are parts of South Street (anything around the 600s is lots of families and close to the Arboretum, a beautiful nature preserve), Walter Street...and Belgrade Ave is OK too.

All of the streets off Walter St are nice as well.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston