U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 PM

7 posts, read 24,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
runswithdog - How old is your daughter? And what are her thoughts for schooling and her eventual career?

My daughter graduated in May 08 from FIT. She works as a product developer for a hosiery wholesaler in Midtown. She studied art management with an eye towards museum work but ended up where she is when they offered her full-time employment after a school internship. Right now she is saving and is hoping to attend grad school eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 24,061 times
Default Decision Made!!

He got both offers - both very generous. After considering the offers and the particulars of each job, my husband decided to go with the GNV position. I appreciate all the input and opinions from everyone - they really did help me figure things out. While I won't be living the exciting big city life and experiencing all that Boston has to offer, I am looking forward to mild and sunny winters

And you never know - in his field people change jobs a lot so I might end up in Boston eventually

Old 05-27-2009, 09:03 PM

1,270 posts, read 4,777,190 times
Default weather

weather is a big decision maker

if you prefer 4 seasons , come to Boston
if you don't mind several months of cold and snow, followed by a reward of a few months of temperate, mild weather with a couple "hot spells"
New England is for you. If you like fall foliage, and skiing, --as well as boating/beaching New england is for you

If you only like warm weather and tropical feel
florida is more for you

Easy enough?? :-)

Old 05-28-2009, 12:01 PM

7,346 posts, read 15,317,951 times
Congrats! Hope it works out for you in Florida... if you ever feel like you're missing out just picture use in down parkas shoveling snow in January while you're in a T-shirt.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,334,745 times
LOL. Good suggestion by LRFox. Best of luck with your move.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:40 PM

4 posts, read 11,449 times
Be aware that those $15 buses from NYC to Boston flip like every other weekend it seems.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 AM

7 posts, read 33,973 times
I am from fla and have lived in boston for 2 years with my family and heres my two cents--you really have to be a very tolerant person of all peoples and sexualities to live here--you will see same sex marriages and couples EVERYWHERE. Huge parades of all sorts of sexualites the other day. You have to be very open minded with same sex kissing in public--just a fact of life that you may want to consider--new england has become the gay center of north america.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 37,095 times
I am moving from Florida to Boston this fall for grad school. I grew up around Gainesville, and I don't think the weather is so awesome as everyone thinks it is from afar...It's humid like a swamp, even in winter -- DAMP cold penetrates every layer of clothing, by the way -- and the summers are so hot I sometimes get nauseous just walking to the car.

Boston sounds like the better choice culturally, as well. While Gainesville is relatively progressive because of UF, expect a lot of rednecks and Rush Limbaugh fans in Florida. Also, practically no one reads, and if they do...it's Oprah Book Club only.

Sigh. I'm so excited to leave.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 PM

17 posts, read 53,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The Boston winter should be milder than Syracuse's. Otherwise, Florida is VERY hot in the summertime. You will have high electric bills from running your A/C. Texas residents have the same complaint. Otherwise, my boyfriend moved up from Naples, FL and has been very happy with the weather and the culture of Boston. I suppose though, for the best all around weather, it'd be in NC. We have friends in Raleigh.
Actually, that's not really true. Most newer FL homes have central air and the price of air conditioning is going to be less than your heating bill up north in the winter.

Here's my two cents in case anyone else is in need of the info:

Gainesville will be much different from Boston -- it's totally centered around UF. I know - I'm alumni!! However, it's the most liberal place in Florida (unless you want to head to South Florida) so if you're used to a more open-minded place to live, Gainesville is your best bet in Florida. Also, there is the friendliness of the South to consider! All other stereotypes aside, people are genuinely friendly and helpful in the South. Won't you be my neighbor??

That being said - don't let the pull of the weather entice you! It is HOT in Central Florida. Humidity is KING. There is little to no breeze unless you get closer to the ocean.

I'm interested - did you go with Boston or Gnv?? Hope you like it where you landed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or