Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,416 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering whether to accept a temporary 9mth assignment in Boston near the theater district. We have a 4yr old and a 1yr old. We're looking for recommendations on places to live that are kid friendly, playgrounds, mom groups, parks, libraries etc. that are also within striking distance of the city on the T. We're looking to rent a 2BR in a nice building with parking and hopefully a doorman. We heard Brookline is nice around Washington Square, Coolidge Corner or Brookline Village itself. Any other recommendations on towns and also pre-school options for the 4yr old. Also pub recommendations for me that have a great pint of Guinness. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 01:39 PM

406 posts, read 1,490,520 times
Brookline, definitely; Cambridge, Arlington (although no T access there). Cambridge playgrounds are a community in themselves--I'm always running into moms I've met at them all over Boston and we always remember each other and chat.

I've heard good things about the Cambridge-Ellis School (in Cambridge, obviously).

Pints, I always love Bukowski's downtown, or Matt Murphy's in Brookline Village. And many,many more.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:04 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,497,027 times
Hmm, doorman buildings are rare in Brookline. Only the largest complexes have them. There are lots of beautiful apartments in double and triple deckers around here....

Old 05-22-2009, 02:09 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,261,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Hmm, doorman buildings are rare in Brookline. Only the largest complexes have them. There are lots of beautiful apartments in double and triple deckers around here....
There are a decent number of doorman buildings along Beacon St. in Brookline, especially in the middle between Washington St. and Harvard St.

Pints of Guinness are easy to come by in these parts. Right in Brookline are Matt Murphy's (Brookline Village) and the Publick House (Beacon St in Washington Square). Many, many in Boston, Cambridge and Somerville.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:58 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,497,027 times
Oh! I've never been in them.... I think of the Brook House and Longwood Towers. Nothing in my neck of the woods in Brookline Village.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:27 AM

406 posts, read 1,490,520 times
Ooh, I missed the "doorman" part. People tend to be surprised by the difference between most apartments around here and apartments in other areas of the country. Around here, I'd say the vast majority of apartments (and often, the nicer apartments) are in 2- and 3-family homes. Brookline does have quite a few larger buildings, but doorman buildings are pretty few and far between; unless you're looking downtown. I would say forget the whole doorman thing. It's pretty superfluous in the areas you're looking in, anyway.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:50 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,396,147 times
Thumbs up Winchester - Arlington

I would suggest Arlington Heights area of Arlington and/or if you can afford it WInchester.

Winchester is expensive but in today's housing market, there may be some affordable buys -

we have great parks, walking trails, a woods nearby(Middlesex Fells), a lot of town activities, such as the ENKA fair every year, and TOwn Day, as well as Santa Claus coming around the common in a fire truck at the tree lighting - in December, a Farmers' Market, Summer COncerts on the common, movie night on the common, a great ice cream shop (Cups and Cones), (Formerly Karol's Ice cream), a grocery store (Stop and Shop) in town, a great bookstore (Bookends with a huge children's book section) a great public library with story times for kids and such - and kid programs. a good recreation department with programs for adults and kids, - and one of the top school systems in the country. We have a high quality youth sports , theater, and music program in town. - and also have a community music school and ballet arts center, as well as a community theater - (the next door theater/ and kidstock)
Winchester is a great place to raise a family and is more affordable now in today's housing market than it was just a few years ago.
There's a new development Hamilton Farm coming in you might want to check out (By Abbott Development) as well.

Home

Anyway hope you decide to check Winchester Out

Arlington Heights - Arlington is pretty nice too -

Old 05-23-2009, 10:54 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,396,147 times
Thumbs up Arlington

Actually its pretty easy to get to the "T" in Arlington
you can go down back roads to Alewife "T" station or jump on route 2 to Alewife exit and park there for the "RED" line

or you can take one of the busses 15-20 min to Porter Square or Davis Square and get the Red Line there -
or the bus to Alewife

there's a number of options

You can park your car for free on Broadway St. in Arlington and take the 87 bus to Davis Square (15-20 min ) and get the red line into town -

Busses run till around 1am -

though if you park on Broadway for free for the 87 -
park down closer to Clarendon hill towers - by the (Boyle's Market)
as the 87 return bus only goes to Clarendon Hill - after 7pm
so if you are in town after 7pm park by Boyle's Market on one of the Side streets or Broadway - so in case you have to walk from Clarendon Hill busway you can back to your car (cahh)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston