U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2009, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,099 times
Question Commute from Providence RI to Medford MA

Hi -

I just excepted a job in Medford located on Cabot Road.

From my understanding I can catch the commuter rail in Providence to South Station - then take the red line to Alewife / Downtown Crossing.

Once arriving to Downtown Crossing hop the orange line Oakgrove and arrive at Wellington Station.

Any help that can be provided or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! I have not road the T since 1987
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 09:44 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,470,182 times
Default Why not just move to Medford or Closer to Medford?

Why not just get a place in Medford? or nearby? Its pretty reasonable? Medford or Arlington would do -

Providence - Medford commute would be insane! Even via Commuter rail -

you'd be looking at like an hour and 20 min via train on Providence rail then have to wait for the subway - and then you might have to wait 10-15-20 min for a subway depending on how quickly the train comes - and then another 20-30 min via orange line from Downtown Crossing to Oak Grove -

I would highly recommend looking for an apartment in Melrose, Wakefield, Stoneham, Woburn, Malden, Davis Square, Arlington, or even Medford itself. It will save you time and hassle.

yoiu're looking at over a 2 hour commute whether you take commuter rail or car -

from Providence

Also there are less Providence-Boston trains especially after rush hour

Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 AM

3,972 posts, read 6,169,156 times
Save yourself a transfer and hop off the commuter rail (or Amtrak) at Back Bay Station. You can connect right to the Orange Line there. And the fare's no different whether you stay on the train to South Station or leave at Back Bay.
DSKG has a point about the train service, particularly after evening rush hours and during the middle of the day. It's sporadic at best. But for times when a commuter-rail run is "just missed" and a two-hour wait is in the offing, there are Peter Pan buses out of the adjoining terminal at South Station which cost about the same for a one-way trip. Their "station" in Providence is now a big building that looks like a shed - on the North Side opposite a cemetery north of Hope High School - but the buses do still go to Kennedy Plaza.
The cost of living in Providence is so much lower that a fair number of people make that long-haul commute every day. It's not at all unusual for folks to live as far out as the Cape, NH, Worcester, etc and spend hours every day going to and from work. There's even a contingent that uses the Amtrak "Northeaster;" they live in the NH Seacoast towns and in some cases beyond Portland, Maine! To me that makes no sense at all, but that's just me. At least when you're on a bus or train, or killing time in a waiting room, you can catch up on work, reading, and/or sleep.
If the TO was looking to move closer to work and pay double or triple the rent, he would've asked. But we're of course happy to freely dispense wisdom and advice if that's a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston