U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,539,045 times

Advertisements

You guys may be interested in this. Emporis shows there 32 new skyscrapers planned for Boston, 13 of which are under construction.

Skyscrapers of Boston | Emporis.com

Two will surpass the JH. Click on the links to see the planning pix. Gateway Center will fill it that mess down below the Chinatown Gateway.
Tallest skyscrapers | Emporis.com

Emporis is a great site. For more dazzling pix of any city, try the "Images of this city" links.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-26-2009 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 08:06 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,860,241 times
Personally I'd like to see the vast acreage of parking lots in the Seaport developed before some of these others towers take shape. That area, as is, is an embarrassment.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:40 AM

196 posts, read 900,631 times
Most of that infmoration is old. There is nowhere near 32 towers planned nor 13 under construction.

The Transnational project has been basically dead for a year now.

Mayor Menino really screwed up on that one.

There are some other nice ones planned though....with the approval process currently underway. In fact theyare a lot nicer than the Transnational.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-26-2009 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 05-26-2009, 02:20 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,539,045 times
That doesn't surprise me that all that is not going to happen. And I totally agree they need to get the Seaport District done hopefully within our lifetime. Hard not to be skeptical about that though!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 PM

7,347 posts, read 15,321,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Personally I'd like to see the vast acreage of parking lots in the Seaport developed before some of these others towers take shape. That area, as is, is an embarrassment.
This is SLOWLY happening. The Fan Pier project is well underway. It's in Phase 1 of 3 at the moment. You can see the first building of the mixed-use (the building U/C is all office) project being built right now. The rest of the project (you can see the renderings on the site) will get rid of many of those parking lots.

Seaport Square has obtained most approvals and awaits some financing, but it's hardly dead. It'll be adjacent to the fan pier site getting rid of many of those parking lots.

My concern is that these massive all at once proposals will create monotonous architecture and mediocrity. Don't get me wrong, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, North End, etc all use redundant architectural styles, but let's be honest... they don't build them like they used to. It also seems that many of these proposals have poorly placed parks and lack a good pedestrian scale which is not a good thing. Poorly placed parks are essentially grass covered parking lots... the bane of urbanity. We'll see. Development is good, but they need to get it right.

There are a number of planned and proposed projects in the seaport area that I didn't mention (including construction near Anthony's). Most are good, many are bland, stumpy, suburban office park style buildings (like most of what's there). Anyway, This area, being SOOO close to downtown and right on the water will get what it needs eventually.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 PM

2,232 posts, read 4,382,294 times
I haven't seen any construction towers in Boston. I still see the same ugly skyscrapers. Go to Charlotte, Raleigh, or even Dallas and they are still have new buildings going up all over.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,860,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Anyway, This area, being SOOO close to downtown and right on the water will get what it needs eventually.
I agree. I think in 15-20 years we'll have something we can really be proud of.

I was down there for the Volvo Ocean Race shindig, and I must say the views of the city and harbor from that locale were gorgeous. I just boggles my mind this land has sat undeveloped for so long. Meanwhile, we have RE developers, politicians and neighborhood groups fighting about rights to air space over the pike. Now I'm no real estate expert, but I would think 'ocean front' beats 'turnpike air space'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I haven't seen any construction towers in Boston. I still see the same ugly skyscrapers. Go to Charlotte, Raleigh, or even Dallas and they are still have new buildings going up all over.
When Charlotte, Raleigh or Dallas figure out how to develope ocean front real estate, let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or