U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 AM

943 posts, read 2,711,833 times

Advertisements

When I visited Boston recently I got tired of seafood and decided to have steak on occasion at the various places we ate. At each place I asked for steak sauce and they looked at me like I had two heads. I pushed it and they said that Boston Restaurants do not have steak sauce. If this is true, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 PM

7,377 posts, read 15,350,252 times
It's Massachusetts Common Law section 301_C (part A) line 42 which provides that:
"No self-respecting beef-product serving establishment shall serve or stock 'flavor tainting' substances of any sort."

I believe it dates back to the Puritan days where salt was the only measure of preserving beef and therefore the only allowed measure of flavoring it (beef was a community commodity and using alternative flavor and not salting wasted a community resource... food was scarce back then). The use of sauces and flavor enhancers were punishable by death until a court ruling in 1846 found that those measures were a bit harsh and changed the maximum penalty for the offense to 25 years imprisonment.

You've heard of the Salem Witch trials, right? Well the strict restrictions on beef flavor were made popular by a slightly lesser-known event called the "Beverly Beef Trials" where 19 accused "flavor mongers" were accused of using a "sauce like substance" to flavor their beef (though the defendants pleaded that it was just "mutton"). They were burned alive (with no sauce for flavor).

In all seriousness, I have NO IDEA why you couldn't find steak sauce. I know plenty of restaurants that have it. Also, if it was at a nicer place, a chef may take offense to someone using steak sauce to mask the flavor of the steak (which is why you may have been looked at funny). I'm assuming you either phrased it wrong (usually we call it "A1") or you ordered it at a place that wouldn't appreciate you using it on your food (i.e. a nicer restaurant). If they told you that Boston restaurants don't have steak sauce, they were messing with you.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,814,379 times
I've never run into this either, and I have no idea why anyone would tell you that. Where did you eat that they told you Boston restaurants don't have steak sauce? My girlfriend has lived her whole life within 20 miles of Boston and couldn't imagine a steak without it. And she loves steak.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:38 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,552,346 times
I would say the answer is they don't want you to ruin the steak. Really, why pay Todd English $100 to cook you a piece of meat when the only thing you are going to do is bury his recipe in A1?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,529,981 times
Now I want some steak.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:44 PM

140 posts, read 281,139 times
Thank God! A-1 sux!!! Now I'm excited to move there soon!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:49 AM

2,652 posts, read 7,651,141 times
Here's a secret steak sauce recipe. It sounds weird, but please try it! Go get some of orange popcorn salt, and mix it with a couple tablespoons of sour cream. Mix it together and BAM... You got yourself the best steak sauce on earth. I promise you'll never use anything else again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or