U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 04-10-2007, 09:28 AM

542 posts, read 638,985 times
Default Is Boston racist?!?!?!?

I heard the other a friend of mine saying that Boston is really racist , which was surprising to me since I have always seen Boston as a cleaner NYC, a true international place. I know there is a strong white presence and influence, especially Irish, but I always thought that Boston was really progressive and liberal, and in my mind, racism is way out of place with the other two qualities. This is important to me because I am Hispanic, and Boston is in my "Cities to move" list. Now, is this true? Is Boston racist? (Oh, and please don't tell me that is not because there's a big Hispanic population , which does not prove anything.)

Unread 04-10-2007, 11:28 AM

702 posts, read 1,809,276 times
Boston is about as racist as any city in the U.S. I am Asian but have not experience any racism. Many african americans have claimed that Boston is racist, but that is a very outdated image, IMO especially since we have the 2nd black governor in U.S. history. However, I'm sure there are pockets of racism anywhere you go, but to stereotype an entire city is probably unfair and inaccurate.

Unread 04-10-2007, 07:40 PM

345 posts, read 1,056,658 times
hi, i am amazed at how many racists are here. I live in an affluent community with great schools...and I am shocked at what comes out of the mouths of some of the people i've met. Granted not all, but just shocked that there are still any left. I'm like, you know, you are 40+ years old, get over it already!!! These are adults!!

Unread 04-11-2007, 06:30 AM

49 posts, read 164,999 times
Boston is not a racist city.

Like any other big city, it is very segregated. In Boston people of the same backgrounds (Protestant Irish, Irish Catholics, Italians, blacks, etc... tend to keep to their own kind, literally).

Boston is a very educated city. If it truly was racist, why would Mass. have a black governor?

Saying Boston is racist because few black people live there is absurd.

"Multi-culturalism" is a crock of **** of that the Hollywood liberals have been trying to shove down our throats.

Unread 04-11-2007, 07:08 AM

10,184 posts, read 17,346,281 times
Boston may or may not be racist, but the community at large is segregationist, and separatist in general (see above). It seems to be maintaining some elitist notion that crops up as racist and anti-Semitic on occasion.

However, I still love it for its quirkiness and New England charm. Nothing like a good sunny day in the Boston Commons or a stroll down Newbury Street.

Unread 04-11-2007, 07:44 AM

702 posts, read 1,809,276 times
Let's face it, it is the nature of people to live with their own kind. So, every city and town in this country is segregated. I suspect that racism is more prevalent in the predominantly white suburbs and exburbs of all cities.

Unread 04-11-2007, 08:29 AM

1,815 posts, read 7,205,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chianti View Post
Boston is not a racist city.
I agree Boston is not racist. They just discriminate people without $$$$.

People tend to be kinder to caucasian without $$$ versus other race without $$$.

Unread 04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
NJT

11 posts, read 58,990 times
Default hmmm

how is it for South Asians? I am Indian-American and was considering moving there for a job opportunity.

Unread 04-11-2007, 09:41 PM

2,267 posts, read 5,101,404 times
Boston is not racist. Tollerant of everyone. Every place is segregated, like above posters mentioned.

I live in Silicon Valley, and it is just as segregated as Boston, Kansas, Iowa, etc. The suburb I live in is literally about 75% asian. The next town over is mostly white people. One area of San Jose is mainly hispanic, another is Indian. It is like this in every major city.

But as for racism, not in Boston. I never witnessed it when I lived there.

Unread 04-13-2007, 07:35 AM

80 posts, read 349,931 times
Boston is not racist, but can be uptight about education. Massachusetts just elected an African-American governor, only the 2nd in the history of the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston