U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 AM

20 posts, read 38,354 times

Advertisements

Need some opinions...I have family coming to visit this weekend from Georgia, and I am trying to put some things together to do. I live in the Worcester area, and was thinking of taking them to Boston. There will be 2 adults and 2 boys 8 and 9 years old. I have been to the aquarium and don't really find anything exciting about it to go back. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 AM

406 posts, read 1,320,146 times
I always take out-of-towners on the Freedom Trail walk. It hits all the main historic areas of Boston, and provides plenty of touristy stuff too (Faneuil Hall, the North End...) and opportunity to stop and eat, etc. I usually get chowder and a pint at Purple Shamrock, gelato/espresso/pastry at Caffe Graffiti or Mike's Pastry in the North End...it's a good time.

If it's rainy, the Museum of Science is awesome. Much better than the aquarium, I think; and lots of fun stuff for adults and kids as well.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:38 AM

2,312 posts, read 6,521,923 times
Good suggestions, redpanda. Keep 'em walking, that's what I say!!!

Also it might be fun to take the ferry over to Provincetown.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 PM

1,125 posts, read 4,013,289 times
a duckboat tour or the swan boats in the public garden, the freedom trail, fenway park tour ect...

Old 06-01-2009, 12:49 PM

613 posts, read 1,967,133 times
You sound like me last summer when I played tour guide to my cousin and her family (3 kids under 12).
We did the aquarium (agreed that it's not all that), the Museum of Science and the Duck Tour. Everyone also enjoyed the North End and desserts at Mike's Pastry.

The Museum of Science and Duck tours are a ton of fun and were a great hit with everyone. The duck boats can be a little expensive though. I think $30 for adults and $20 for children, but it's worth it. The tour lasts about 90 min so it's not some half hour rip-off. They sell out quick on weekends and if this is something you want to do, I recommend getting tickets a couple days in advance.

The Museum of Science has good exhibits and a IMAX theater and there's usually something interesting playing. The local libraries (Worcester maybe as well) usually offer discounted passes to Boston museums. But it's also something that has to be reserved in advanced.

Maybe the Children's Museum? I haven't been there in about 20 years since I was little, but it was renovated recently and I've heard good things. Franklin Park Zoo is another idea.

The Freedom Trail is good, because as someone mentioned, it takes you all through town and you can do it at your own pace.

Also, a trip to the Boston Harbor Islands may be fun.

Finally, check out the link to the Boston Go Card - Boston Attractions, Tours, and Things To Do from Smart Destinations

I didn't get the go card so I don't have personal experience with it but someone recommended it to me and it's something I'm considering next time I have visitors.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:10 PM

74 posts, read 250,981 times
For kids that age I'd say Museum of Science, Duck Tour, Fenway Park, and/or USS Constitution (the museum is fun too with some decent interactive stuff). MOFA is cool for kids who like Egyptology. Swan Boats are always fun and there is lots to see at the Common. If it's hot, a stop at the Frog Pond is a good time. Depending on the maturity level of the kids, the Children's Museum could be fun. My kids still enjoyed it at that age.

Faneuil Hall is always a fun take for lunch and street performers.

Be sure to check your local library for free or reduced rate passes to any of the above mentioned museums

Old 06-02-2009, 05:18 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,209,939 times
The Arnold Arboretum owned and run by Harvard University. Its just off Forest Hills T Station and is the most beautiful park in the whole city. Its free to go in, has guided tours, and paved paths. You can spend much of the day just looking at the beautiful plants and trees and even picnic there too.

Castle Island and Fort Independence is another fun outdoor place though accessible only by car or bus. There is a nearby beach there as well.

One additional museum to consider is the Harvard Museum of Natural History with its renowned exhibit of glass flowers. If you're willing to venture out a little further, Salem MA, which is accessible by commuter rail or commuter bus, has the Salem Witch Museum, the Peabody Essex Museum, and the House of Seven Gables.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:30 AM

1,693 posts, read 3,216,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
owned and run by Harvard University...
Owned by the City of Boston, Parks Department; run by Harvard Univ. That's why it's free of charge--it's city park land. Agree it is stunningly beautiful, especially right now in June!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:22 PM

406 posts, read 1,320,146 times
True about the loveliness of the Arboretum, but I'm thinking that Georgia natives probably get a lot of fauna and flora at home, and might enjoy trekking the "urban jungle" instead. At least, that's how I felt when I was a kid living in the not-city.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:27 PM

1,270 posts, read 4,777,190 times
Default Boston - 2 days

First stop:

Go up the Prudential tower and walk through copley place----
check out the observation view from the Observation deck the kids will love it!
Skywalk Observatory - The Shops at Prudential Center

Next take the first duck tour you can
Boston Duck Tours - The Official Website & Online Tickets
will give an overview of the city
for them and history in case you can't do everything in 2 days

Have lunch at the Replica Cheers bar - at Quincy Market -
Cheers | Where Everybody Knows Your Name (http://www.cheersboston.com/pub/main_locations_faneuilhall.html - broken link)
and check out the shops and such -

Walk over to the waterfront - and do the codzilla
speed boat ride
Codzilla High Speed Thrill Ride Boat, Boston Harbor Cruises
or one of the Boston harbor cruises (maybe the sunset cruise)?
http://www.bosonharborcruises.com

Have dinner in the North end after the cruise (or in between while waiting for the boat) .
(italian restaurant) Walk through the north end following the freedom trail (while you wait for your harbor sunset cruise - and such - visit Copps hill burial ground - , Paul Revere house, Old North Church etc. - etc. -
and Columbus park -

Have dinner at one of the restaurants there I would suggest Cantina Italiana (Hanover St.) or grab a Slice of HUGE pizza at Ernesto's pizza on Salem St.
then a gelato and/or a cream puff at Napoli pastry on Salem St. or Modern Pastry on Hanover.
Bova's bakery on Salem is pretty cool too
walk around the north end see the historical sights and have fun

---------

then go on the sunset harbor cruise and call it a day

----------------

Day 2

Wake up early to get a head start you'll need it for the day

get to the Science Museum for the opening -
walk around the science museum
go to the gift shop
the Omni theater show
the live animal demonstration
the exhibt halls,
and the lightning demonstration

(You could have lunch at the museum cafe)
(or the Cambridge Galleria Food court)(a short walk from the Museum down a canal)
(Lechemere)
Cambridge Galleria is a mall (and is next to the Green Line Station)(lechemere)

then take the Green Line from Science museum or Lechemere whichever you do - and go to Kenmore square

(If its a "E" train , get off at copley and wait for a B,C,D, to Kenmore
if its anything other than a E just go straight to Kenmore square.

get off at Kenmore Square and go to fenway park - check out the souvineer store and go to the ticket office to inquire about the tickets for the fenway park tour
go on the fenway park tour - and have lunch at the Bleacher bar -
(behind the green monster) on Lansdowne st.
some tables have a view inside the park
(go on an off day when the sox aren't in town) (You might want to call ahead to make sure they are doing the tours - and when they are cutting off the tours if there's a game that day)

if for some reason there's a early afternoon game and they dont have tours available

you might want to do the childrens museum in the afternoon - until closing time -
or stroll through the Boston common past the state house - down to the public garden and maybe go on a swan boat ride if they are still there. - see the make way for ducklings statue and see the island in the book make way for ducklings -
there's a statue for george washington as well

then you can have dinner in the North end again or maybe get something to eat at Quincy Market - or the water front (legal seafoods maybe?)

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston