U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,932 times

Advertisements

For anyone looking at this post in 2013, it's interesting to see how the gentrification in Dorchester eventually DID kick in - while the dangerous parts remain Blue Hill Ave area and all surrounding streets, Savin Hill (formerly called Stabin' Hill) is now almost entirely populated by UMas students, while Jones Hill and parts of Uphams Corner east of Columbia road literally transformed into a gay Mecca. (census tract 911 in 2013 shows 6% of unmarried same-sex couples in 2013, highest percentage of gay households in Boston, along with Jamaica Plain and the South End). Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 6,268 times
Guys I will be in Drapper St , is that safe area ?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:14 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,204,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohEssa View Post
Guys I will be in Drapper St , is that safe area ?
Do you mean "Draper" Street? If so, that is in the Meetinghouse Hill District not far from Fields Corner and is still quite a rough area. I know someone who lives in that area and is comfortable with more affordable rent than other parts of the city but you really have to be streetwise there. Streets can be quite deserted late at night and there have been occasional shootings, muggings, and robberies in that area including several "apple picking" incidents (the robbing of i-phones and other Apple products).

Old 02-17-2014, 12:28 AM

about late at night ! around what hour do you mean ?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 AM

Anytime 8m and after just be careful. The streets behind Fields Corner station are not all well lit. Do not show valuables when walking to and from the station.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:09 PM

LOL ! , I will not show any valuables , it would be fine if I take a taxi to the place if I'm gonna be late , right ?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohEssa View Post
LOL ! , I will not show any valuables , it would be fine if I take a taxi to the place if I'm gonna be late , right ?
Taxis are not always easy to obtain in this city but if you do not want to take risks, I suppose there is no harm in it. Be prepared to spend a lot more on transportation than taking the subway or bus though. I'm sorry to scare you but Draper Street and the surrounding area just does not feel safe to me. I walked through nearby Ronan Park once at around 11m and it is very creepy over there that time of night believe me. I also had many high school classmates that grew up in that area, living on adjacent streets (Longfellow Street, Homes Avenue, etc). It was a very tough area back then and I just don't believe it has gotten much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or